I dont understand the mentality of some ebayers!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I don't understand the mentality of some ebayers!

I am a bit mystified by the mentality of some ebay sellers.

A huge number of sellers seem to be stuck in an "I list mine for a few bucks cheaper" mind set.

The problem with this mentality is that it drives all prices lower, almost to the point of worthlessness.

For instance, we've had some great success buying a household item, and relisting parts of those on ebay. Since August of last year, I've been selling these parts for about $15.99, on average. I have gotten to the point of grading the parts, so junk parts are listed for $12.99, and brand new, factory sealed parts are listed at $22 to $30.

I've been blessed. These parts have sold BRISKLY at those prices. Late last month, three other sellers have shown up, and they keep undercutting each other, down to the point that some are listing these parts for $5.99 free shipping, and some are starting .99 auctions. Each day, I've watched them continue to undercut each other, again, and again, and again.

But what I've seen happen, is that their good parts sell quickly for $5.99 with free ship, and then they are stuck with the slow sellers that are really hard to sell.

Yes, I know every argument there is to know about free market economies, how the consumer wins, that you can't stop undercutting, etc., etc., etc.

What I do know is that the undercut crowd lost a pile of money on their items and sold them too cheap, just trying to beat someone else out by a few dollars.

I tell ya, I don't play that game. Often, I go the other direction, and list my items at a higher price than everyone else. Sure, it does take a little longer for it to sell, but I have more money when all is said and done.

For instance, I listed a woodworking clamp last year. The low-ballers and undercutters had ruined that market, and the selling price was about $40 on the top end. I listed mine for $89. One reason I went higher was because my clamp was in super nice shape. Sure, it took about 40 days for it to sell, but the buyer also paid $27 to have it shipped to him.

I have also sold a few train cars for almost stupid money, even though some examples were being sold at a fraction of my price. I sold one car for $50 plus $12 shipping, even though the low-ballers were listing their cars for 1/2 that price.

If you are playing the undercut game of "I always list mine for a few bucks cheaper", I'd like to challenge you to rethink that selling strategy.

Try listing your items, depending on condition and grade, at higher prices. i think that you'll find that you have more money in your pocket...and isn't this what it is all about? If it doesn't work out, you can always lower your prices.

Thoughts? Opinions?

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is all about the velocity of money. How fast can you turn money over at a profit? I will undercut if I can sell in a week or less. I will sell at a loss when items don't sell in 30-60 days just to get cash back to put back out into new items. In my mind, stale money is dead money. Don't get me wrong, long tail items can be well worth it. I am just not waiting on long tail for all my listings. HH

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been on eBay for sometime. I have found once a customer trusts you the repeat business will come whatever the price. I know what I am selling is different then you ( perishables) but a freebie with the order goes a long way toward repeat business.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, it all depends on the item. If it is a fairly common item, I want to turn it over quick. If it is uncommon, and I can realize a big profit, I am willing to keep listing it at a high price until it sells.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My prices are based off of what I paid for the item. If I paid $10 for something and they sell for $200 normally I'll list at $175 with whatever shipping is. I hate sitting on things for months but it happens. But then again some asking prices are stupid high. I have a pair of earrings. There are two others on there, $699,$199 then I went $109 with best offer. I can't imagine someone paying $700 for them. I paid $8 for my set some prices are off the wall!

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go with my gut feeling about an item. I rarely try to low ball anyone, and I think we have enough of a satisfied customer base, that people feel confident bidding with us. Makes me sick to see some of the prices that Goodwill sells books at.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clovis that mentality can go the other way on you too. The guy who paid $89 plus $27 shipping for an item that others were selling for $40 with Im sure much cheaper shipping ($27!!???!!), if he sees the other listings or sees that item locally for less he may feel you ripped him off. This could cause returns, bad feedback, and bad seller ratings.

It was said recently "fast nickel, slow dime." I will wait to get the price I want for rare items, but if its more common you have to price with the market. People who sell stuff for $5.99 with free shipping wont be in business for long - you just have to wait them out.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Makes me sick to see some of the prices that Goodwill sells books at.

It is crazy, isn't it?

They are selling books for 3.99 plus 4.00 shipping, and many of them will cost more than $4.00 to ship. Some of those same titles would have sold for $10.00 to $20 easily.

Someone at Goodwill is really bad with math.

Nonetheless, I scored 5 books out of a GW bin last week, and have already sold one for $35.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Clovis that mentality can go the other way on you too. The guy who paid $89 plus $27 shipping for an item that others were selling for $40 with Im sure much cheaper shipping ($27!!???!!), if he sees the other listings or sees that item locally for less he may feel you ripped him off. This could cause returns, bad feedback, and bad seller ratings.

It was said recently "fast nickel, slow dime." I will wait to get the price I want for rare items, but if its more common you have to price with the market. People who sell stuff for $5.99 with free shipping wont be in business for long - you just have to wait them out.

That was the actual postage, and in fact, I lost $2 on the shipping. I plugged in the numbers to the ebay calculator, and that is the number it showed. I even took it to the post office for verification, just to make sure the ebay shipping calculator was correct.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Goodwill around here wants to be Walmart. Lots of brand new stuff for sale at retail prices. Even the used clothes and stuff are priced at near the retail price of new. It's a complete waste of time to even go in the door unless I need to use the bathroom... For whatever reason the Salvation Army stores still have some bargains although they get picked over pretty fast. Ebay sales seem to be down and I have to assume that sellers are dropping their prices to move the stuff rather than sit on it and wait for that one guy who will pay full price. I sell a little now & then and I have seen this ALOT over the past few years.

Last edited:

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
I too, also agree with the degradation of this "let's sell for the lowest price we can" type of mentality. It kinda reminds me of my younger days of the 1960's when I was a foolish young man and thought I had the world fooled. I wanted to start a new business. Become a successful person in my neighborhood. So I started selling a "product" that I knew would catch on real quick. Pretty soon I was able to obtain my "product" fairly inexpensive from my "supplier". I was able to sell this stuff to everybody in the hood hand over fist. By the end of each week my pockets was lined with Benjamin's. I was an instant success. I had a new car, a nice pad, plenty of friends. Everything seemed to be going my way.... until all of the sudden, the whole world came crashing down around me. Yep that's right. You guessed it. Uncle Sam came knockin on my door. Fresh in hand with a plane ticket to an exotic land halfway around the world. Yep, to a place called Vietnam. And next thing you know I'm hunkered down in a foxhole cryin like a baby for my mamma. Everywhere I looked, "charlie" was shootin at me and wanted me dead. The only relaxation I got was a little R&R every now and then by getting to go into town to sample the local "goods". When my short two year stint was up, I came back to the states with a brand new plan. My experience in the jungle had thought me some valuable "tricks of the trade" if you will. I learned very quick that if you wanted to move your "product" or "services" at a competitive rate, you had to convince your clients that what you are providing was far better than the next guy around the block. I learned that from the little Vietnamese girls. You had to be very convincing with your "product" to your potential clients. And low and behold my businesses started to take off again. On one hand, my "goods" and "products" are flying off the shelf. And on the other hand, my associates where offering "services" second to none. I was soon king of my neighborhood again. Next thing you know, everyone knows who to contact to get what they want. Every now and then you gotta offer some "freebies" to reel em in. But its worth it in the long run. So my advice is to keep your attitude positive. Don't give up. You too some day can become the king of EBay. I love hearing success stories of great businessman like Sam Walton, Howard Hughes, Vanderbilt, and the great Bill Gates. They sure didn't mind steppin on the little guy to get where they got. But hey, let's face it, they left us other businessman with hope.they showed us not to let anything get in our way. I'm truly inspired by them when I hear that there is someone else in my hood tryin to sell the same "stuff" at cut throat prices. So my advice is to find ways to "get rid" of the competition by finding ways to make your "stuff" far more attractive and much more appealing than the other dudes. I know its difficult because we live in a world where we have to compete with other character's on the internet. My final statement about all of this is a phrase that one of my all time favourite inspirations of how to get ahead in this world. The great Snoop Dogg himself said.... "PIMPIN'S HARD BROTHA! PIMPIN AINT EASY!!!!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't sell on Ebay, though I buy quite a bit. I have read these posts and thought about some of the things I learned about selling products. I worked for an oil jobber for several years. Occasionally one of our competitors would drop the price on gasoline several cents per gallon when business was slow. We'd let it ride for a few days. Then my boss would call the competitor (we all knew each other) and tell him that he was leaving money laying on the table. If it didn't change, we would drop the price a couple of cents below him. Of course this is what starts price wars! Most of the time it would last only a short time; then it would level out again. When a new station opened or changed owners, we would let them cut the price for a few days. Then we would match them or go below them until they got their prices in line with ours. We had a competitor that cut the price about 8 cents per gallon. The boss called him and told him that he'd better get the price back up. After two days, the boss sent our transport to the station, pulled up to a pump and started filling the tanks. A few minutes later, my boss got a call saying that the price would quickly be put back to where it should be. But, we bought about 300 gallons of gasoline that we could resell for an extra 5 cents per gallon!
Did anybody think of buying the competitors 'cheap' priced products and reselling them for the higher prices? Of course that depends on how much of a markup you have on your goods.

Last edited:

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I got burned selling on ebay because I did not first put the item in the shipping box take it to the post office have them weigh and estimate the cost when I offered free shipping. Also I started a cheap open bid instead of a reserve. Decide how much an item means to YOU. What do YOU want the item to go for? Add on the shipping cost. There's your price. If it doesn't match fair market value, oh well, hang on to it, you've had it this long, right?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can never really understand because you don't know the buying price. I've seen a million posts on here saying things like if there's not 50-80% profit I don't even bother..... where as right now I'm looking at shifting away from auctions and doing much more fixed price, and probably making maybe 25%. So when there's that big of a difference $20 or $30 on a couple hundred isn't a big deal. I always do try to squeeze the most I can out of everything, but if you can drop a little sometimes to keep things moving, it's not a bad thing. When I'm busy I buy a lot so need the cash flow, and if I sit back on too many prices trying to make that last dollar, I'll blow through my entire Paypal balance and be stuff rich and cash poor...which doesn't let me buy more.... which means I lose money because you make your money from buying, not selling. Selling is just a formality, assuming you know what you're doing. I also do not pay attention to other sellers, just do my own thing and make adjustments where I need to make them if I feel like I have to. I guess maybe the few items you list the more it makes you want to get all the stats. on them, and fortunately I would not have time to do that, which I consider a good thing because I over think enough already.

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
I agree IRONPATCH and TEXASRED. I think you guys get it. I also believe ol' CLOVIS is catchin up too. Sometimes you just gotta get a feel for the neighborhood and figure in your "handling" cost before hand. I have to do the same thing also when I'm not sure if I've got enough "supply" to meet my "demand". Or vise-versa. Sometimes I get caught holdin the "bag" sorta speekin, when I purchased alota "goods" that i thought was a great deal. And then all the sudden, the demand slows down. So its very hard to read. I can realize how CLOVIS feels when his "books" don't bring a good profit. But he did mention how he made a great score on some "household" items. So whatever your doin CLOVIS to make a big "score", keep doin it, and remember what you did to make that "score" a successful one. I try not to deal to much around the Goodwill and second hand stores. However, at least your in the right hood. I also try to use the advent of the internet by using Craigslist and EBay to promote my "services" and "goods". This world is ever changing. You gotta figure in your cost before hand. Keep it up Clovis and you'll eventually get the hang of it.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Did anybody think of buying the competitors 'cheap' priced products and reselling them for the higher prices? Of course that depends on how much of a markup you have on your goods.

I've done that more than once, LOL.

Wanna list your items for .99 with free shipping? Sure, your good parts will sell fast, and probably cheaper than my $15.99 BIN parts, but I'll scoop up all of your slow selling parts, and rebay them the minute I receive them.

I don't mind waiting 10 or 12 days to make $40 off of one of these .99 cent auction sellers when I buy multiples of parts from them, and I've done it many times.

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
There you go CLOVIS. You did it! I once also was able to "acquire" a large loot of my competitions low priced "goods" and turn right around and resell the "stuff" to his very own customers. Let alone being able to take care of my customers at the same time. Sam Walton did it, Bill Gates does it everyday. Taking advantage of your competitions misfortune is an awesome feeling. I hope you make it to the top CLOVIS!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is only one or two listed. I will match the price or go higher. But some items if there are hundreds of them the top sellers listings are always above mine. So I have to knock $20 bucks off mine because nobody scrolls 4 or 5 pages deep. Mostly I have to factor how long its going to take me to package some items. Somethings I just will look at forever before I would bother making a listing for such a low price. I speculate some people learn if you mark it down every week. If I have something with ten watchers I raise the price and someone almost always bids immediately. I have about equal success marking thing up after not selling as marking things down that didn't sell.

I recently got a guy who definitely overpaid because of some bidding war. He then wrote me how dissatisfied he was with the item. I knew he still wanted it. So I wrote ok return it no problem. Haven't heard a thing from him since. I know he was hoping I would send him a partial refund but I did not force him to bid it up. I would have gladly refunded him too.

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
Hey DUMPSTERDIVER, you are exactly spot on with your method of marketing! I'm actually right now as we speak, smack dab in the middle of a bidding war between several of my clients that are feverishly bidding on some of my "products" that I have promoted for quick dispersal. I'm certain that CLOVIS and others will see the intelligence in this kind of marketing skills. I myself at an early age, along with my experiences in the jungle, caught on to this slick way of doing "businesse". It seems like right now, I have to always look out over my shoulder for "charlie" just like I did back in the day. Even today it seems like "big brother" is always lookin to put a bullet in my fanny. Stop and think... we all are lookin to get ahead in this world just like o'l Gates and Walton and Howard. JUST A BUNCH A SQUIRRELS TRYIN TO GET A NUT!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread