I dont understand the mentality of some ebayers!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too, also agree with the degradation of this "let's sell for the lowest price we can" type of mentality. It kinda reminds me of my younger days of the 1960's when I was a foolish young man and thought I had the world fooled. I wanted to start a new business. Become a successful person in my neighborhood. So I started selling a "product" that I knew would catch on real quick. Pretty soon I was able to obtain my "product" fairly inexpensive from my "supplier". I was able to sell this stuff to everybody in the hood hand over fist. By the end of each week my pockets was lined with Benjamin's. I was an instant success. I had a new car, a nice pad, plenty of friends. Everything seemed to be going my way.... until all of the sudden, the whole world came crashing down around me. Yep that's right. You guessed it. Uncle Sam came knockin on my door. Fresh in hand with a plane ticket to an exotic land halfway around the world. Yep, to a place called Vietnam. And next thing you know I'm hunkered down in a foxhole cryin like a baby for my mamma. Everywhere I looked, "charlie" was shootin at me and wanted me dead. The only relaxation I got was a little R&R every now and then by getting to go into town to sample the local "goods". When my short two year stint was up, I came back to the states with a brand new plan. My experience in the jungle had thought me some valuable "tricks of the trade" if you will. I learned very quick that if you wanted to move your "product" or "services" at a competitive rate, you had to convince your clients that what you are providing was far better than the next guy around the block. I learned that from the little Vietnamese girls. You had to be very convincing with your "product" to your potential clients. And low and behold my businesses started to take off again. On one hand, my "goods" and "products" are flying off the shelf. And on the other hand, my associates where offering "services" second to none. I was soon king of my neighborhood again. Next thing you know, everyone knows who to contact to get what they want. Every now and then you gotta offer some "freebies" to reel em in. But its worth it in the long run. So my advice is to keep your attitude positive. Don't give up. You too some day can become the king of EBay. I love hearing success stories of great businessman like Sam Walton, Howard Hughes, Vanderbilt, and the great Bill Gates. They sure didn't mind steppin on the little guy to get where they got. But hey, let's face it, they left us other businessman with hope.they showed us not to let anything get in our way. I'm truly inspired by them when I hear that there is someone else in my hood tryin to sell the same "stuff" at cut throat prices. So my advice is to find ways to "get rid" of the competition by finding ways to make your "stuff" far more attractive and much more appealing than the other dudes. I know its difficult because we live in a world where we have to compete with other character's on the internet. My final statement about all of this is a phrase that one of my all time favourite inspirations of how to get ahead in this world. The great Snoop Dogg himself said.... "PIMPIN'S HARD BROTHA! PIMPIN AINT EASY!!!!

you are going to wear out that quotation mark button!

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
I'm sorry Mr. Cool. Its just that I have to "fly under the radar" sorta speekin and kinda go "incognito" so that I don't reveal my "shady" and somewhat "crooked" business practices. After all, since "charlie" followed me around all those years in Nam, I tend to be a bit suspect of all this "big brother" attention I get from the local squeeze.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Items on the shelf is not money in the bank. If I buy 1 item at $1 and it sold for 70 or listed at that I will list for $35, not to undercut but most times those other items have been delisted at least once. So then when my item sells for $35 I buy another item for $1 sell for $60 even though I probably could have gotten a hundred oh well. If I can spend 2 bucks and turn $93 dollar profit minus fees in 10 days bees use someone else listing for $100 and it sits there for 30 days. Ill take less money because I can roll more product.

Lol what I'm trying to say is if I'm making $93 every 10 days I made 279 dollars minus fees in the same amount of time they made $100 in a 30 day time. In the resale world it's all about volume. We all get lucky now and then with a huge profit item or a great score. But for every big there's a lot of little one.

You may see it as me under cutting everyone, but I'm making money versuse sitting on my hands praying it sells. That was a lesson I learned the hard way. Good luck out there.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Items on the shelf is not money in the bank. If I buy 1 item at $1 and it sold for 70 or listed at that I will list for $35, not to undercut but most times those other items have been delisted at least once. So then when my item sells for $35 I buy another item for $1 sell for $60 even though I probably could have gotten a hundred oh well. If I can spend 2 bucks and turn $93 dollar profit minus fees in 10 days bees use someone else listing for $100 and it sits there for 30 days. Ill take less money because I can roll more product.

Lol what I'm trying to say is if I'm making $93 every 10 days I made 279 dollars minus fees in the same amount of time they made $100 in a 30 day time. In the resale world it's all about volume. We all get lucky now and then with a huge profit item or a great score. But for every big there's a lot of little one.

You may see it as me under cutting everyone, but I'm making money versuse sitting on my hands praying it sells. That was a lesson I learned the hard way. Good luck out there.
I don't get it. Think I would rather wait a month and get more money. The only times that I quick flip is if I have too much money tied up in an item or the item quickly loses value .

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Four days ago, I listed a Nerf gun part for $16, even though other sellers were playing the undercut game and had driven down prices to less than $10, with some 99 cent auctions not getting a bid.

Mine sold yesterday for the full $16 price.

Those who have theirs listed for 7.99 are leaving a ton of money on the table, when you consider all the listings they make in a year.

Consider this:

If you are selling just one item each month for $60 instead of $100, you left $40 in profit. $40 X 12 months = $480 a year. In ten years, that totals $4,800, and in 20 years, $9,600.

If you are selling ten items a month for $8 instead of $16, you left $80 on the table. $80 X 12 months = $960. Ten years = $9,600, twenty years = $19,200.

If you feel like you have to play the undercut game, at least tuck your prices up near the averages. You'll be putting a ton more money in your pocket, and not destroying the market place.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another issue the undercutters do that drives me crazy. Although I wonder if my own actions don't make me party to the undercutting. I have a mug listed that was selling between $40-50. Fairly consistently. I picked one up for .50 cents that was identical in every way except the handle was cracked. I placed mine up for bid at $22. Thinking someone still might want it for a shelf piece. The first week I had three questions on it. Wondered why it didn't sell so I look back everyone with perfect condition mugs had dropped their price to match mine. I think they should have read my listing instead of just looking at the prices and pricing theirs cheaper. So I inadvertently drove the prices down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread