Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN2350.JPG DSCN2351.JPG

These were evidently not normally circulated in the colonies after the early 1600s, so perhaps they were bought here by Dutch settlers who had visited the orient where they were circulated in the 1700s. They are coinage of the Dutch East India Co. They were found on the property of a Dutch colonial house built in the early 1700s. The county I live in was first settled by the Dutch and there are still a lot of these colonial houses still standing and in use but it is hard to get permission to hunt them. Sadly the house where these were found was torn down to expand a shopping center parking lot and I was able to get permission from the owner who sold it to the supermarket. The property had been rented to some immigrant laborers and the place was deep in Corona bottle caps and assorted other junk. The owner told me a friend of his had hunted there ten years ago, and the only coins I found two days ago other than a little clad were the duits (same hole) and the rosie. I maybe rubbed the 1748 one a little hard to get the date to show, but I gotta say I love these little colonial coppers!! I can't go back again since the property changed hands and the bulldozers are knocking down the beautiful sandstone house.

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find. I like them because their numbers are shaped so cool. I found a 1790 1-Duit not too long ago. Very cool find.

Congrats!

Steve

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG AWESOME COINS.

46Wheat