I finally got my point back from the authenticator.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got my point back from the authenticator.
Paleo 1.jpg
Paleo 2.jpg

It took about a month longer to get my point back than he said it would and the report is not good. This is very disappointing news and I have decided to keep it and put on a board with a bunch of others my wife and I have found together. Here's what he said about the point in the letter he sent back with it. I have to be honest, the news I got back has made me feel sick.

The pictured Paleo point does not meet my criteria for certification for at least the following
reasons:
1. Insufficient signs of natural age or deposits.
2. Technically wrong flaking and style compared to typical ancient examples.
Taken as a whole the general flaking and fluting techniques used are not typical of Ancient Indian techniques. While I can't say there is no possibility the piece is not ancient, I highly doubt
that possibility.

Attachments

• Paleo 1.jpg
    Paleo 1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Paleo 2.jpg
    Paleo 2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 705
Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id get another opinion.dosent sound like he is doing very well with his buisness to me anyway.. jamey

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting a COA is just for authentification. Bottom line you found it and I doubt any of these modern knappers threw it out there. I would treat it like the prize it is and not let what a so called expert diminish your find. Big problem now days is the modern knapped stuff is killing good collections. Why I have never bought a point or put anything in my collection I did not find.
We have found many points we can not identify. We always thought kids were learning to knap and or the village idiot made it ! Just because it does not match a known type does not mean its not real.
Congratulations on a really cool looking find. Looks like it was in the water for some time?
TnMountains

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a second opinion,reguardless to you finding it. I'm sure the advanced collectors can put you onto a quality authenticator.

Molly.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I would love to find that point! Would you please tell us who you sent it to? I don't think it would violate any rules of the forum since he gave you his opinion and charged you for it. Thanks,

HH Charlie

S

seger98

Dang! I'd get a second opinion, seeing as you found it yourself 35 years ago.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I sent your pictures to an archaeologist friend of mine at the South Carolina Institute of Anthropology and Archaeology. He is very familiar with southeastern artifacts. He said it was a beauty and looked to be a reworked Redstone Paleo. 15,000- 9,000 Bp. You may need to find another authenticator or at least get your money back.
Michael

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
Who was it? I think it's a transitional point and rather to say he doesn't know what type, he calls it a fake. I don't know about you but I'd have come unglued. Tell us his name.

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcb66 said:
I sent your pictures to an archaeologist friend of mine at the South Carolina Institute of Anthropology and Archaeology. He is very familiar with southeastern artifacts. He said it was a beauty and looked to be a reworked Redstone Paleo. 15,000- 9,000 Bp. You may need to find another authenticator or at least get your money back.
Michael

Thanks for the help. That has confirmed several peoples opinion for me. I originally wanted to sell it to help pay for a new detector but I worked enough overtime to make up the difference. I guess overall it worked out for the best even though I didn't get back the report that I thought I would, I get to keep the point. Again, I do appreciate what you did for me. Have a great night.

DANGLANGLEY

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Why wont you tell us who you sent it too? Just curious........................................

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
ewwwwww. i would find another person too look at so whoever gets your stuff one day they will know its really prehistoric

am-ark

Nov 30, 2008
Virginia
Thats definately a beautiful redstone piece!!!! I would say that if there is an authenticator out there that is that unsure about what he/she is looking at, then chances are that that person needs to find another line of work!!!! Beautiful piece, I would definately take it to someone that knows what they are doing. :icon_jokercolor:

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
am-ark said:
Thats definately a beautiful redstone piece!!!! I would say that if there is an authenticator out there that is that unsure about what he/she is looking at, then chances are that that person needs to find another line of work!!!! Beautiful piece, I would definately take it to someone that knows what they are doing. :icon_jokercolor:

You are so right! If I was an authenticator and someone sent a point that I could not authenticate, then I would tell them to get another opinion. I would be honest about my assumptions, but tell them it is my opinion only. I would either send all their money back, or just charge a nominal fee for my time. In fact, I would set up a fee for a positive authentication and a lesser fee for non authentic points. If my opinion was that it was a fake I would still tell them to get another opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread