I finally got my point back from the authenticator.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got my point back from the authenticator.
Paleo 1.jpg
Paleo 2.jpg

It took about a month longer to get my point back than he said it would and the report is not good. This is very disappointing news and I have decided to keep it and put on a board with a bunch of others my wife and I have found together. Here's what he said about the point in the letter he sent back with it. I have to be honest, the news I got back has made me feel sick.

The pictured Paleo point does not meet my criteria for certification for at least the following
reasons:
1. Insufficient signs of natural age or deposits.
2. Technically wrong flaking and style compared to typical ancient examples.
Taken as a whole the general flaking and fluting techniques used are not typical of Ancient Indian techniques. While I can't say there is no possibility the piece is not ancient, I highly doubt
that possibility.

Attachments

• Paleo 1.jpg
    Paleo 1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Paleo 2.jpg
    Paleo 2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 705
Upvote 0

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i agree with everyone else on the second opinion, especially since you found it so long ago. it looks good to me and i have seen a lot of authentic and fakes.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Dan,
What you're hearing here is correct. When it comes right down to it, the only points you know for certain are real are the ones you find. I have a precious few intact flint points but there is no doubt that they are 100% authentic as I know when and where I found each one. You found it and therefore you know it's authentic. While I'm certain most authenticators are sincere and propably adept at what they do, they are human. Moreover, there have been some studies involving a number of good authenticators who have completely "missed" the origin of well-documented pieces. In my profession, second opinions are not only acceptable, but often imperative as no one has the market cornered on intelligence. Hang it there, and don't sacrifice an excellent piece!
docmann

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me. It's strange it's fluted on one side, and transitional point sounds probable. What was the context it was found in? I would take that into consideration also. Great find!

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
docmann said:
Dan,
What you're hearing here is correct. When it comes right down to it, the only points you know for certain are real are the ones you find. I have a precious few intact flint points but there is no doubt that they are 100% authentic as I know when and where I found each one. You found it and therefore you know it's authentic. While I'm certain most authenticators are sincere and propably adept at what they do, they are human. Moreover, there have been some studies involving a number of good authenticators who have completely "missed" the origin of well-documented pieces. In my profession, second opinions are not only acceptable, but often imperative as no one has the market cornered on intelligence. Hang it there, and don't sacrifice an excellent piece!
docmann

Unfortunately, you cannot say a point is "100% authentic because I found it" anymore. I know of too many cases of seeding sites, ruses, etc. It happens, in fact it's commonplace - regardless of where you live or hunt. A person who thinks they are completely immune from it happening to them, is fooling themselves.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

I agree with Matt. On the other hand if it was found some 35 years ago, I dont see it being planted. Hey authenticators are human and make mistakes, I know this first hand. Send it to some one else. I will put it under a scope for you if you like. I just think sometimes if its questionable , some authenticators. would rather regect it than put their name on the line. To paper a fake point really stirs the waters, as I have seen time and time again. get you a secound opinion , like others have said. Thats the best advise. Good luck. John

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Redstones are VERY rare. Get a second opinion. Please let us know the outcome. I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying we are all curious..

Good luck, I sure hope its authentic.

Molly.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
With the long, extended auricles that piece looks more like a quad to me. If you really found that, what are you worried about? Authenticators get paid for their best guess, they make mistakes, but they have more knowledge and experience than most though, also he had an opportunity to inspect the piece in his hand, under microscope, etc. It's really hard to tell if a piece is authentic by simply looking at a picture on the internet.Are we missing an important detail here?

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
1. I don't think it's a Redstone, not at all.

2. I agree with you John, I too have seen authenticators do the same thing.

3. If you found it, why worry about what an authenticator says? If you sent it to them only for typology, I wouldn't count on them doing a great job at that either.

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I originally wanted to sell two points to help me buy a new metal detector. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,212245.0.html

Well, I raised enough money to buy the detector without selling my points. I am going to keep them so I won't be needing them authenticated. I had been told several times over the years that one was worth several hundred dollars and that if I had it authenticated it would sell faster and be more likely to sell for what it is worth. I had been given several different opinions as to what type it was so I guess that is why I posted it here in the first place. It sure turned into a mess for me and cost me around $48.00 to insure it, authenticate it and to send it there and back. I had it insured for $1,000.00 just in case something happened to it.

I appreciate all of the advice, kind words and encouragement. I had these wrapped up and put in a safe place and now I'm going to put them on a board to display them once I find enough to make a good one. You all have a good one and thanks again.

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m sorry about never saying who the authenticator was that I sent my point to. It’s been so long that I forgot why I didn’t. His name is Jerry Dickey and he did live in Lynchburg, Tn.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm sorry Mr dickey couldn't paper that. The polish looks good on it unless someone went to a lot of trouble tumbling it. The style is odd and doesn't fit a type well but it sure looks good in pics.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the good that came out of the authenticater's opinion is that it delayed you selling it, and now you don't have to. Down the road, you would have probably regretted over and over selling it.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Really cool point. It's not a typical piece, but then again at 2 inches it is quite small. It could have been reworked/resharpened down from something bigger. You probably won't find a nicer point without a lot of digging, so I'd be happy you kept it.

FWIW, I like Jerry. I'm sure he's made mistakes, but not papering something you are unsure of is better than papering anything and everything. It's unfortunate that some oddball points like yours are dinged along the way.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a COA done is just asking someone else what they think. Jim Bennett is the best JMO. Also let me state this most people that do COA's that are up to a high standard won't put their name on something that they are not 100% sure of. Now some may disagree with this but it is JMO. Not every Native American could knapp very good like the guy next to them. Just because it doesn't look text book style doesn't mean it's not from a certain time period.
There are a number of reasons for a point not to look right to someone that is not from the area that it came from. Where I live some creeks will produce artifacts with no deposit of any kind, some creeks will just cover the point with deposits and then we have creeks that do both, but to say the flaking technique is off doesn't prove much of anything. When I knapped a lot I did so with the guy that taught me to knapp. We could use the same everything and mix them up in a bucket, but we could come back 1 year later and look at the blades an know who made what. It all comes down to like your signature , everyone writes different, but we were all taught the same way to write.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, If you're looking for a second opinion that doesn't boil down to an experience-based educated guess, my own personal recommendation would be Brian Williard's OSL service. He's done many of mine and hasn't missed yet.

www.[B]insight[/B]lae.com/index.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread