mattdiver

Aug 31, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Whites Surfmaster PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks
Back in February 2013 I found a Bronze Age Chisel then a week later a dagger fragment 1 meter from chisel and other pieces of bronze. I called my buddy Dave and we searched further I looked at the geography of the land and questioned this could be an ancient barrow. I reported this to the finds Liason officer and a small excavation was carried out in June 2013 on the find spot

More pieces of bronze found including part of razor and harness ring

18 Mesolithic Flint arrow heads were also found pieces of jet: Quartz : cremated bone and red ocre

What was realised was in fact this site is in fact an unknown Stone Age / Bronze Age burial site/ monument

Nobody knew about it until our discovery with metal detector.

This has been hailed a significant discovery

An archaeological team - Digventures secured )£50000 heritage lottery funding for 2 week excavation July.

The community and schools will be involved in project.

We have been praised for our proactive/ professional approach with the archaeologists and media. It did receive global media attention and this will accelerate again I'm sure.

Hope this is of interest to you all

I think this is the pinnacle of the hobby

Here are some links re the find/ project

Thanks for looking.Keep searching !

Discovery of Bronze Age Burial Site As Good As It Gets

Bronze Age burial site uncovered in Lancashire field - BBC News
BBC - Home › news › uk-england-lan...

Dig this: archaeology crowdfunding site launches campaign for Bronze Age excavation

Upvote 7

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
great going....over here those finds would be in your house.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that you did the right thing & worked with the Archies instead of against them. Its best for all involved and gives us the Country good historical information.

One thing I do disagree with, is whilst your still fit enough to detect, there is always better out there.:thumbsup:

Congrats on a difficult to find period. We thought we had an unknown barrow, & paid for Geophysics but came up blank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread