I found a Button Today!!!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
It looks as if the front is plain except for the concentric circles; so, based on the quality backmark, I'd say it's a c. 1830's-40's civilian gilt brass button, and could be of either British or U.S. manufacture. Is GILT the only word in the backmark?

OP
OP
BjC

BjC

Mar 1, 2006
In Your Backyard
yes GILT is the only word on the back... if you look closely there is also a ring of stars by the word GILT

thanks for the info ;D

With "gilt" being the only backmark, I would push the date earlier than the previously suggested date to around
1790 to 1810. I know this for certain since I have many with that backmark found at bush sites that had no other activity past its history of occupation. These fur trade posts existed around 1790 to 1810.
Your button is a nice example of a 200 year old relic.
Dave.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Actually, Muddyhandz may be right, as there are definitely c. 1800 "GILT" marked buttons. Since I'm more familiar with c. 1825-75 sites and the gilt buttons dug there (including some quite similar to yours,) I went with my gut feeling, and still do... but either way, it's a great find, and my thanks to Muddyhandz for pointing out the possibility of an earlier date for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread