I Found a Cache!!! But Why...WHY?!!?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out for a full day of detecting with a couple buds and our plan was to knock on doors and get on some new land. The first door knock was for an amazing looking site which had not been hunted and was old...and I almost convinced her to let us hunt. She did invite me back in a couple weeks so that she could think about it. No one was home on the next door knock but the third was a success...only problem was the sites had been detected before and they were pretty quiet today. Undaunted we hunted for a couple hours and after a bite to eat went searching for more new land. No one home on the next two door knocks so we threw in the towel and decided to hunt a site we had on standby...and I am glad we did.

After a quick chat with the landowners daughter we were off and hunting. I went right to the back end of the field where there is a patch we hadn't hunted much. At the bottom corner of the field I got a strange and deep signal. I dug it out and saw a cut copper in the dirt. I thought that was weird and checked the hole and saw more cut coppers! Then the first large silver came out and I knew I was on something good...and very strange! All of the coppers are 1864 New Brunswick One Cents! The Silvers are an 1854 US Half Dollar, a Victorian Half Crown, a Victorian Florin and a Victorian Shilling...all in the same hole and buried deep...below the plow line.

My question is why would someone cut up all of those coppers and bend and smash those silver and then bury them? Very strange...but despite the condition I could not be happier...everything is still easily identifiable so I am thrilled with that.

Also found a 1932 2 Ore and an1894 large cent in another part of the field.

Props to Iron Patch for assisting with the British silvers...I texted him from the field!

Attachments

• IMG_20161115_1306210.jpg
    IMG_20161115_1306210.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_20161115_1358337.jpg
    IMG_20161115_1358337.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_20161115_1515517.jpg
    IMG_20161115_1515517.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 500
  • IMG_20161115_1602531.jpg
    IMG_20161115_1602531.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_20161115_1602380.jpg
    IMG_20161115_1602380.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_20161115_1515589.jpg
    IMG_20161115_1515589.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 74

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunned!! Those cut copper edges look to be very clean.........and the pieces also seem to be fairly equal in size. That would indicate to me premeditation of intent.
A proud "quiet man" rejected the dowry..........??
In any case, that is an outstanding find and one to talk about for years to come. Congratulations, romeo-1!!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunned!! Those cut copper edges look to be very clean.........and the pieces also seem to be fairly equal in size. That would indicate to me premeditation of intent.
A proud "quiet man" rejected the dowry..........??
In any case, that is an outstanding find and one to talk about for years to come. Congratulations, romeo-1!!

Thanks! The coppers were definitely cut with purpose and I was even able to mate several of them with their opposites!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you still doing here ! ! !

? Charge yer shiznat and get back on that property... kiss ass... rake leaves... fix leaky gutters... sweep dog turds for the owner if ya have too.

Ask them if they have a room for rent... A shed you can live in ... a doghouse... sheesh a sleeping bag in a pile of leaves, heh

Duty calls but I'll definitely be back there this weekend to dig a nice deep hole! These were found right in the corner of the field so it's possible that there may be more in the wooded area...but I suspect that if there is more to find it will be deeper than my detector can reach...thus the deep hole!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an interesting find ! My relationship with silversmithing , has me thinking that these coin bits may have been apportioned for melting in a crucible. These remnants seem to show contact with hammer and anvil - which is strongly suggestive of deliberate metal work .Much of domestic silver was fabricated with circulating coin prior to 1870. If such a workshop was evacuated suddenly due to a fire (another ingediant of metal working ) there could be more nearby .

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a great recovery!

Coins could have been altered to allow being sewn into a seam?
They would not have jingled as well in a purse/poke either....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an interesting find ! My relationship with silversmithing , has me thinking that these coin bits may have been apportioned for melting in a crucible. These remnants seem to show contact with hammer and anvil - which is strongly suggestive of deliberate metal work .Much of domestic silver was fabricated with circulating coin prior to 1870. If such a workshop was evacuated suddenly due to a fire (another ingediant of metal working ) there could be more nearby .

Very good thought! A small crucible would have required the items to be small to fit efficiently without bottle-necking. Maybe the enemy was getting close and items were hastily buried for safe keeping

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my second best guess. I've found coins cut down in prep for melting, but why not do that to the silver as well? Not sure why you would beat the hell out of them. (Although may soften them a little in readiness)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is odd that the silver coins seem to be folded in half or nearly so - while all the coppers (bronzes? ) are sheared - hmmm?? perhaps we look for reason where it doesn't exist ?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is odd that the silver coins seem to be folded in half or nearly so - while all the coppers (bronzes? ) are sheared - hmmm?? perhaps we look for reason where it doesn't exist ?

Hahaha, I think most of us do this with everything!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of the weirdest finds I've ever seen. INCREDIBLE!!! Banner IMO

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So cool, and so cruel.
I can imagine the fun with so many coins coming from the same hole. For the record I have yet to dig more than one old coin in a single hole.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is such a fantastic but weird cache of finds.
My theory is that possibly the money was thought to be cursed.
They tried to break the power of the curse by cutting or folding each cursed coin. That's why the "halving" or breaking, if you will.
Then, when things like this were done, burial is always required.
A more thorough way, however, was to melt them down, but perhaps they had neither the means nor the time.
They wanted to get rid of them as quickly as possible.

Anyway, now you have a great cut coin collection. All together as a pile, the "cursed coins" is still a neat story.
And yes, this stuff was really done.
Congrats on the mini horde, love to find something like that myself. HH!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this idea…either that or witchcraft…haha! They are definitely legit so if someone thought they weren’t they would be sorry to know what they did…

Quit typing and go back digging ! sheesh

I am waiting for another post.

My logic is.. ... something that weird has GOT TO BE... only the beginning. heh

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quit typing and go back digging ! sheesh

I am waiting for another post.

My logic is.. ... something that weird has GOT TO BE... only the beginning. heh

Patience grasshopper...will be spending some serious time there with the big shovel this weekend!

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super discovery nonetheless ..Congrats..I would sure be heading back for another Hunt!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an aside...this NB One Cent also came from this site and only about 50 feet from where I found the cache. The vandals missed one! :laughing7:

Attachments

• IMG_20160322_174738_edit.jpg
    IMG_20160322_174738_edit.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 81

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an aside...this NB One Cent also came from this site and only about 50 feet from where I found the cache. The vandals missed one! :laughing7:

Wow!!! That thing is B E A UTIFUL!! I think you need me to bring my CTX and 17" coil to help search this site! :occasion14:

PS, I also own a shovel and a strong back. :laughing7:

Last edited:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strange, but very cool! Congrats! -Lisa & John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread