I found a cellar hole...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...actually my father in law pointed me in the general direction and I found it late this evening. There is only a depression left from the house as well as the remnants of a caved in well. I have never detected a cellar hole before so i am really looking forward to it. Any hints or suggestions?

The house stood on the edge of an orchard and has been gone for at least 100 years. I don't expect to find too many coins but a few relics would be nice. I am going to camp out there for the weekend and then post pics on Monday or Tuesday of the finds.

Stay tune...

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
R1,

sounds good. A camping trip for the weekend,
a real adventure; hope you pull up a bunch.

About the only advice, don't neglect the orchard.

have a good un.......................

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be patient and look for old cloths line. Look for evidence of outhouse. All are good sites. HH

Burdie

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Sounds like awesome potential. I hope you get some great finds there. I especially hope that you were the first to find and detect it.

Looking forward to your results,

Postalrevnant

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This post reminded me of the cellar on my uncles farm in Colorado. I really miss that place.

You probably won't find much down there, but you never know. They store a lot of bottles/etc in cellars. I'm sure some ranchers used them to store highly valuable stuff sometimes, like really expensive guns/etc.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Not a lot of tips, but I can give you a heads up. Be prepared for LOTS and LOTS of iron junk. You have to clear all that out before you can get to the good stuff too since the iron will mask the smaller good targets. Look for the biggest tree nearby and concentrate there for a good while, then try and locate the road leading up to the place. They can be hard to spot, but once your eye locks onto it, you can trace it pretty far. Also, look for bulb plants, like daffodils, lillies and yuka plants. They planted those a looong time ago and they are still coming back year after year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions