My new digging tool....

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a home made shovel I fabricated using my welder, bed frame angle iron, and a scooter handle. It has angle iron step atthe back. The blade below the step is actually about 12" long. Looking at it from the side the hadle is at an 80 degree or so angle over the blade. This keeps my headphones wire from getting in the way of my digging. You just step down, give a sise-to-side, step down and keep repeating the process. I have stepped it down to about 10" before pulling flexes the handle. It makes killer octagon shaped plugs. The handle scopes in to make it easier to pack!!

Attachments

• CustomDigger.JPG
    CustomDigger.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 604

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Hey WDFF, thats awesome! I have a great respect for your ingenuity & ability to create something useful from scraps. Just curious, hard to tell from the pics, did you mig weld that or do you use a crackerbox arc (stick) welder? I am a welder by trade & have designed & built quite a few hand shovels, am trying to locate a 110 portable Tig(heli-arc) welder at a decent price (new Miller tigs start at $1200) so I can make em up here at home. I make the blades from stainless steel piping & am sneaking home as much of the stuff as I can from work before Im laid off again, stocking up on free materials! lol Nice job, keep making em, & post any other tools you make! :)

papa

Sep 21, 2006
WDFF,do you need a permit for that ;D looks like it will do the job,real quick.

Hey Mighty AP,we have a weekly paper here that has all sorts of tools and equipment for sale,from power tools to HD stuff,I'll keep an eye out for a mig. Let you know if I find one. Any certain specs ? ..... papa

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Detector(s) used
Hey Papa, Im looking for a TIG (heli-arc) welder, needs to be 110 volt, very small & portable unit. As I said, the Millers (which are very nice, thats what I use at work) start new at around $1200, too much for me to spend! I have seen portables on ebay for around $350, but they are made by Chicago Electric, the same company that makes the disposable $25 cordless drills! lol So Im a little sceptical about buying one of those but will do a little more research on em, the price is just right. If you see something let me know, I appreciate it Papa! :)

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Ain't no problem,Be glad to help. Like I said,I'll keep an eye out. You never know what you will find. ..... papa

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice looking digger WDFF.

I plan to make a round hole plugger this winter but since I don't weld anymore I'll get one of the locals to do that for me.

I'm looking at using a 6 to 8 inch wide core bit saw as the main digger. Then I'll use the standard plugger design except with a long handle because of my bad knee.

This animal won't work in parks but I plan to use it in the early spring at lumber camps. The ground is wet then and should hold in the saw. I'll mark hits and then come back and plug them all at once.

I've made pluggers before in fact I probably designed one of the first used for coin hunting back in the early 80's. The problem with all of those is they were too narrow. A plugger needs to be at least 5 inches wide for safe digging of coins.

Keep designing those diggers!

Badger

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Detector(s) used
Hey MB, if you have plans drawn up with dimensions & I get my tig welder Id love to take a shot at building this for you. I also want to make you one of my "improved" diggin tools, the one I sent you was one of my early designs & I believe the ones I make now are an improvement over the older models. Im stocking up on materials & if i can get a welder you will be one of the first to get a new model. If interested, let me know what kind of materials i will need & I'll try to get what we need from work in the next week. (before Im laid off again, lol)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Good job I applaud you on your ingenuity. Don't know if I want to get caught MDing on school grounds with that mega sword digger though LoL.

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AP
Thanks! Just my first one. Gotta make a few more to get it going right. I originally wanted to use half-pipe, make the point and sharpen, but, I don't have a band saw. I definitely have the pipe for it though. I used a 120V Lincoln wire welder. It is an awesome little machine and I can use bigger wire for bigger steel if I change out the tip on the stinger.

Papa
It does the job quickly, yes, but, I am not a fan of the octagon plugs it cuts. IT will slice the soil neatly though. I think when I go hunting I will just carry a square of grass from the Depot and drop in grass plugs When I am done.

Badger
If you want I get get a better pic of the angle I used. I am very comfortable with that angle. It really does provide more leverage with out have bend over so far with every pull. I would like to see one of your core bit diggers. That should be thin enough to cut easily yet maintain good rigidity.

Postal
I have thought about hat too. I have learned to be very discreet. Maybe I should paint it and put some fancy logo on it so the cops won't think it is some strange weapon. :)

The SweetShooter IS ugly, but, omg it works so well. Can't take it to the park though. I am learning to make smaller holes with it though. Down side to it is that if the plug isn't cut as a whole, then, that whole thing falls apart and makes a huge mess...

Cheers all and thanks for the comments!!

papa

Sep 21, 2006
wdff and map,What about using a rifle and pistol cleaning rod for a pin pointer? Nice "T" handle,can make it as long or short as you want,light weight.And with an old screw in patch holder(most are made out of aluminium,no scratches) Maybe squeeze the patch opening shut to make it a little stronger ? What do you think ???

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it loaded? ;D

Cool looking and practical looking tool! Good Job Dig

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
papa said:
wdff and map,What about using a rifle and pistol cleaning rod for a pin pointer? Nice "T" handle,can make it as long or short as you want,light weight.And with an old screw in patch holder(most are made out of aluminium,no scratches) Maybe squeeze the patch opening shut to make it a little stronger ? What do you think ???

Sounds good depending upon your soil type. Forest soils are typically much softer and looser that sun baked yards and playgrounds. For areas that recieve little or no sunshine you could probably get away with it. In fact I think its a great idea. Many public places are graded and leveled with fill dirt (or clay) or they sun bake until they are like concrete. For these areas I suggest buying an inexpensive very long handle screwdriver and blunting the tip. This will be stronger and a bit more comfortable than a T-grip on those bore punches.

And, no, no one can have my SweetShooter. It's mine.Mine.Mine.Mine all mine............mine.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
If I can find my "junk box" I think I'll try to make one,just to see how it works. If I can't have your Sweet Shooter,can I borrow it ;D promise to have it back by the .... holiday's ;D

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uh..er..um.. Hey! whatcha got in the junk box?! I keeps lotso electronic junk and metal things around. I love makin' stuff. Homemade stuff is cool.....thinkin about makin' me a remote control metal detector.....now where did I put that Flux Capacitor?

papa

Sep 21, 2006
My junk box is down right spooky.I won't look by my self.Afraid something might jump out at me ! Last time I looked I wound up with 3 more boxes.Can't stand to throw anything away,I might use "that" later. I think I saw 2 flux capacitor's in there. ?Right next to the glass magnet,need one ? ;D

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
papa said:
My junk box is down right spooky.I won't look by my self.Afraid something might jump out at me ! Last time I looked I wound up with 3 more boxes.Can't stand to throw anything away,I might use "that" later. I think I saw 2 flux capacitor's in there. ?Right next to the glass magnet,need one ? ;D

Not a glass one. Have any in plastic?

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Yeah,but the battery is dead.If you have a extra 28.3 volt battery,your welcome to it. I got to go,after midnight here.Need to recharge my capacitor. ;D

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Well today I did find my junk box.The new pin pointer/pistol cleaning rod is looking good :o
I've found one that has the old style steel rods.Now all I need is some round stock brass to make the "point" with.I know I've got some,some where ??? I'll try a improvised point tomorrow and see how it works.Should be OK,small,light weight,and can adjust to what ever I need ;D Long, short,and in between.

S

shreddah

some of you welding people should make me a digging tool. Im a girl. I dont touch those dangerous tools. its not my thing. the best my tools get is extremely duct taped together.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Hey s, Don't feel bad,there is at least one roll of duck tape in every house in the US. :) I am the proud owner of at least 5 rolls. ;D
So,what sort of digging tool do you want ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread