I found a real Treasure before I started Metal Detecting!!

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was contacted the other day to see if I'm willing to loan my piece to a traveling "History of Guitars" museum for a year and I realized I have only told a few of my metal detecting treasure hunting buddies of My life before metal detecting it was very different than it is now I was a musician on the road most of the time and when I settled down I became a manager of a music store, I was at a yard sale type flea market in 1994 and an old lady was selling a guitar it was old and not in great shape. To make a long story short I wont post it all here... I wound up buying the guitar for $10.00.
I brought it back to the music store and tried to sell it for $75.00 after about a year on the wall and no takers I took it to the basement and there it sat for another year or so...
It was on a sunday we would open up and have band practice I got a phone call someone was trying to sell a vintage rare guitar so I opened up a Vintage Guitar Magazine it has stories and pictures of rare guitars as I was flipping through the pages one of my friends Al put his hand in the pages and said "stop thats your guitar..." well we found the page he was talking about and sure enough they had the same features of the guitar I had bought we went running downstairs and got the guitar and started reading the story.... the pictures and article about those guitars I am posting here... its a "Doc" Kaufmann Kremo Kustom Guitar...well within a week the news spread throughout the guitar world I had found one of the rarest guitars in the world in a small flea market in the midwest! When you read the article it tells you the complete history of the maker of this guitar why its so rare and why its so important to the history of electric guitars.
From time to time I loan it to museums, and its been in magazines and other articles... in 1998 someone sold the same type of guitar for $125,000.00 even the case I have it in was a case used for the first 25 Fender broadcaster guitars made in 1947-48 its worth thousands itself.

Attachments

• 000_2024c.JPG
    000_2024c.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,499
  • 000_2024a.JPG
    000_2024a.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,076
  • 000_2024b.JPG
    000_2024b.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,306

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's some pretty awesome stuff jd,my bro's friend has an ole' Les Paul worth some buck's too.I guess as long as the neck and body are in tune it should be ok,so they say.....Love the old git-fiddle's JD,that's where the "real music" came from.The ole' strat's etc....This one might be in a different league...Best wishe's on this one,keep us posted.....very nice...

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Only on T-Net do we have such awsome stories like this one. Hard to believe and how damn lucky are you? Do you make money buy "loaning" this guitar out? What a great story, thanks for sharing!!

Happy Hunting,
Moon

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for your responses everyone I thought the people on this forum would enjoy it!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! So your luck started many years ago, LOL, thanks for sharing a cool guitar and HH, Mike

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
Great story J.D. I collected vintage guitars for about 20 years and that's a new one on me. I have a similar story. In the early nineties I sw an ad in the local paper for a 50's Gibson guitar for $50. Our 2 boys were playing in a championship basketball game that day but I told my wife I had to check this guitar out. She wasn't thrilled but relented. I called the number and an elderly woman answered the phone. I asked her if anyone else had seen the guitar yet. She said no,but someone was on their way from Delaware. I beat him to it and purchased a '49 Gibson CF-100. This was the first year of the first flattop cutaway that Gibson produced. Leon Redbone used this model exclusively for many years. I had it appraised at $1250.00. I guess this made up for some of the bad deals I've made over the years. Musicians aren't generally known for their business prowess......lol

HH,

root

JDKauffman

May 16, 2007
Hey, Doc was my Greatgrandfather, if you ever want to sell that guitar let me know. I may have to part with a kidney, but it would be worth it. Jon

Dec 27, 2007
Root
If you are out there I would like to buy your cf-100 gibson. I owned one that was destroyed in a fire several years ago. I would be willing to pay the full apraisal price. Please contact me [email protected] I live in PA and could pay cash

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
crezone.netzero.net said:
Root
If you are out there I would like to buy your cf-100 gibson. I owned one that was destroyed in a fire several years ago. I would be willing to pay the full apraisal price. Please contact me [email protected] I live in PA and could pay cash

Sorry Scott.........She's gone. I have siince found out the the first CF-100 was shipped in '50 not '49. Good luck with your quest.

HH,

root

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread