✅ SOLVED I Found a Treasure Map but is this Gypsy Graves Handwriting?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone. I was at my storage warehouse when I noticed a pile of books sticking out the top of the dumpster. It appears they cleaned out someones storage warehouse that didn't pay. This happens all the time. Being a person that likes to read and sell junk on eBay, I took a pile of books home. They were all about Archaeology. Inside one of the books entitled "the People Who Discovered Colombus, The Prehistory of the Bahamas" I discovered a hand written treasure map describing a cave "70 feet deep and has more stuff of value than we have any idea of!"

My first clue to the origin of these Archaeology books comes from an inscription written inside a book "Donated to the Graves Museum of Archaeology and Natural History."

20190423_210919_Film4.jpg 20190423_210405_Film4.jpg 20190423_211113_Film4.jpg

The Graves Museum closed its doors in 2004. A bankruptcy judge later approved the museum's plan to donate its collections to Broward College and Florida State University and dissolve its governing board. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-graves-museum-brow100-20150607-story.html

Inside the Bahamas book was a 4 page hand written letter describing the search of a cave with some hand written maps! I still havent read it all but it describes in detail a trip from Miami to San Salvador, Bahamas in search of something old and valuable. My question to the group. Inside the book is the name of the famous archaeologist Gypsy C. Graves. Is this her signature or her handwriting? Does this mean she owned this book? Could she be the person that wrote the treasure maps? That would certainly add credibility. I hope this works because Im on a very weak WIFI hotspot and Im out of data..

20190423_224956_Film4.jpg 20190423_225054_Film4.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...from what i understand there is still a great fortune buried in a cave on the island of San Salvador. I believe your grandmother came closer than any known person to finding out the truth to this story. Did she ever speak with you about what she thought was going on over there in the bahamas ?? The covid pandemic kept me from the island last year !!

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I do know more on the story I know she was due to go back with my father but myFather ended up getting sick and they never made a return trip. Those maps were recovered from the dumpster of a storage unit the reason being of that is that there was fraud on my moms account that paid for that storage unit and she had it on auto payment and forgot about it it ended up getting sold disbursed and thrown away I really would like to recover some of it if possible. Some of the things in that storage unit are very personal to her. But you everybody on this form that is my grandmother‘s hand writing and I would be happy to confirm that.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can't speak for bigcypresshunter, but maybe he will still have those papers. Your grandmother sounds like a female version of Indiana Jones!! One day the islanders will go and open the cave again. I too never got back to the island....the first year I went north instead and last year covid kept me from going !! I hope to be back this may. Trying to hunt in the area where Columbus landed also....my sons God father lives at the site where Columbus supposedly landed. Artifacts found at that site are the evidence for Columbus landing site !!

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think your grandmother truly believed there was a treasure there ? And who did she think left it there ? These are my two most burning questions. Not a day goes by that the islanders don't think about getting into this cave. I know for sure that another cave had held dry goods such as cotton bales and furniture in it !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes I do know more on the story I know she was due to go back with my father but myFather ended up getting sick and they never made a return trip. Those maps were recovered from the dumpster of a storage unit the reason being of that is that there was fraud on my moms account that paid for that storage unit and she had it on auto payment and forgot about it it ended up getting sold disbursed and thrown away I really would like to recover some of it if possible. Some of the things in that storage unit are very personal to her. But you everybody on this form that is my grandmother‘s hand writing and I would be happy to confirm that.
I am very sorry to hear the circumstances that led to the emptying of that storage warehouse two years ago. I cant speak for the storage facility but I can only guess that they held it locked a couple months, then took anything of recognizable value at the eviction or auctioned it off, as is usually the way it goes. I don't know. It always makes me cry when I see personal items thrown away like garbage and it happens so often. I was only able to save a handful of books that I since donated to Goodwill because they seemed to have no value. I wish you had seen this post 2 years ago as there were personal items in that dumpster such as picture albums. But I was not able to save any of those items because I believe the dumpster was locked when I went back or there was someone or something preventing me from looking deeper. These types of places do not usually allow people to dumpster dive..

My first clue to the origin of these Archaeology books came from the inscriptions written inside the books "Donated to the Graves Museum of Archaeology and Natural History." I believe the museum closed down and went bankrupt? I did see photo albums down deeper mixed in with the trash. I wish I could have rescued them for you. I guess you are not really interested in searching for the treasure? The few books I had, from the museum, went to Goodwill 2 years ago because they had no monetary value and I had no room to store them. Your Grandmother seemed like an interesting and amazing person and I'm sorry you lost her personal items.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Do you think your grandmother truly believed there was a treasure there ? And who did she think left it there ? These are my two most burning questions. Not a day goes by that the islanders don't think about getting into this cave. I know for sure that another cave had held dry goods such as cotton bales and furniture in it !!
Yes, good questions. I donated the books to Goodwill but I kept the hand written notes and scribbled map..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I'm in eluthera....headed to long Island, and then to samana cay. Slight possibility I may get to San salvador....fishing a marlin tournament and sandy point is on the list of fishing spots !! Im crossing my fingers !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
.... As far as I know the treasure is still unrecoverable !! To much controversy......

If the treasure is unrecoverable, it appears all I have is eye candy. Sure I could try and sell the map or a copy of it (there may be legal issues) but someone gave me a better idea. This whole story has the makings of a movie and someone suggested I write a short story or have someone else write it.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If the treasure is unrecoverable, it appears all I have is eye candy. Sure I could try and sell the map or a copy of it (there may be legal issues) but someone gave me a better idea. This whole story has the makings of a movie and someone suggested I write a short story or have someone else write it.

Ah hell, reach out to Josh Gates "Expidition Unknown" maybe they'll do a segment on it........:hello:

Or the making of a Clive Cussler story line......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread