✅ SOLVED I Found a Treasure Map but is this Gypsy Graves Handwriting?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone. I was at my storage warehouse when I noticed a pile of books sticking out the top of the dumpster. It appears they cleaned out someones storage warehouse that didn't pay. This happens all the time. Being a person that likes to read and sell junk on eBay, I took a pile of books home. They were all about Archaeology. Inside one of the books entitled "the People Who Discovered Colombus, The Prehistory of the Bahamas" I discovered a hand written treasure map describing a cave "70 feet deep and has more stuff of value than we have any idea of!"

My first clue to the origin of these Archaeology books comes from an inscription written inside a book "Donated to the Graves Museum of Archaeology and Natural History."

20190423_210919_Film4.jpg 20190423_210405_Film4.jpg 20190423_211113_Film4.jpg

The Graves Museum closed its doors in 2004. A bankruptcy judge later approved the museum's plan to donate its collections to Broward College and Florida State University and dissolve its governing board. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-graves-museum-brow100-20150607-story.html

Inside the Bahamas book was a 4 page hand written letter describing the search of a cave with some hand written maps! I still havent read it all but it describes in detail a trip from Miami to San Salvador, Bahamas in search of something old and valuable. My question to the group. Inside the book is the name of the famous archaeologist Gypsy C. Graves. Is this her signature or her handwriting? Does this mean she owned this book? Could she be the person that wrote the treasure maps? That would certainly add credibility. I hope this works because Im on a very weak WIFI hotspot and Im out of data..

20190423_224956_Film4.jpg 20190423_225054_Film4.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigc.....those notes confirm one of the most incredible things I was told. I laughed when Patterson talked about the 5 tunnels radiating out in a hand or star shaped pattern. I thought that just had to be fake, it just sounded to fairy tale to be true. I kept waiting for him to say there was a skeleton with a sword at the entrance. Lol......but if misses graves confirms this....well then wow !! That was not bull...t !! And that would be strong evidence from an archeologist that this is a legitimate claim. Wow!! Almost everything I've been told or seen in person is coaberated in the notes. I was trying to remember what year what events happened and this thread has helped me get my own time line straightened out. Man am I fired up to get over there now !! Multiple pronged treasure attack ambergris, old bottles, glass fishing floats, metal detecting, and get the current and past low down on fortune hill in writing. And all with my good friends too. Back to Google for me to scan the ruins there !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
There is a book from the dumpster titled "King Solomons Temple in the Masonic Tradition" but I doubt there is any connection.

Solomon's Mines Jewelry Store solomons mines.jpg

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that and wondered too !!

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It has nothing to do with Fortune Hill but this dumpster book is from the impressive Romancing the Gold exhibit in 1986 at the Graves Museum of Archaeology.. As far as dumpster diving goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. What one person may think is worthless may be cherished by another.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1986-02-15-8601100482-story.html

Attachments

• 20190428_134606_Film4.jpg
    20190428_134606_Film4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I found this map online when I google Fortune Hill

Attachments

• map unkown.jpg
    map unkown.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So.....if your into the ambergris hunting San sal is just the beginning. It's the stepping off spot for real uncharted exploration...from here by boat is rum cay, conception island, and samana !! Samana is insane, uninhabited raw secluded wilderness with some old ruins. That's the ambergris honey hole. Its debated whether Columbus landed here or San sal. The only people who go here are bark gathers from crooked island and acklin island. They gather a certain bark that is used to make the liquor compari. The rest of the year no one is here. The beach combing here is off the chain crazy. The beaches and dunes are littered with everything that has ever washed up both ancient and modern, including ambergris. I cant imagine who tramped and lived on this island back in the day ?? Totally unexplored for the most part. Then there's rum cay once a very popular port for salt its population fluctuates between 400 and 100. Its basically deserted except for a few die hard. Lots of ruins and great bottling here too. These islands hold a lot of secrets and are beckoning to me again. Cat island and long island are incredible beach combing and bottling also. Check out samana cay on Google... I want to live there !! Rum cay has some pirate history and I've seen some very old ruins on samana too.

Upvote 1

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20190428-152028_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20190428-151825_Maps.jpg
Hurricane Joaquin wiped them out and changed the landscape some. That was the latest hurricane amongst many.

Upvote 0

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People go crazy when gold is involved. I find it amazing that the whole island has decided how they will split this money and what they will build with it, trust fund for every resident etc lol. I find that a little out there. But gold does this to people. It causes them to act irrationally. However after reading all this, the possibility of buried gold in the Bahamas is real.

KANACKI, your last 2 attachments do not work. This has been an issue on this site since day 1. I would think it would be fixed by now but the administrators do not see it as a problem. Maybe you would be kind enough to re-post the last 2 attachments. I cant remember why this happens. Thanks

View attachment 1707288

Maybe this entire thread should be moved to Cache Hunting or Treasure Legends?

Hello BCH

I tried reposting the images it did not come out again but the one of the alleged cave site did.

Kanacki

Upvote 0

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this thread has been very good for me. It has helped me straighten out my own time line of events. Reading about all the different digs has helped me remember most of these events, and got me to reach out to my friends over there. It's been 2 1/2 years since I've been over to the island. I had forgotten how easy it is for me to go and stay. I've got off topic and have shifted to planning my adventure over there. Looks like everything is falling into place nicely !! I have a free place to stay a car to get around in and some great friends to adventure with. I'll be splitting time hunting ambergris , hunting the old black glass bottles, and metal detecting permissions and the club med beaches. I'm very excited to hunt for the ambergris and have a dog lined up to help with the hunt. This little pot cake dog has had success in the past and has been trained up over the last 3 years. Hes a good asset and has already found an eleven pound chunk that got the boys a cool 80,000$. I'm hoping to get permission from Emory black to search around for some surface evidence and maybe narrow down who, what, and when regarding who may have deposited this alleged treasure. I can say that the entire island is in agreement that the treasure is of the pirate or buccaneer type. Others have put forth that they think it could be some of the booty taken out of Havana when it was captured by the English in the early 1760s. A vast fortune in silver and gold and all manner of treasure was carried off and disappeared. This same treasure is conjectured to be at oak island also in some narratives. This hoard fits with the timeline of loyalist settlements here. Also the missing dagger that I saw was a real deal pirate dagger in every since. It looked like something out of treasure island. I will enquire about it again when I reach the island. There is another name I havnt mentioned. Any reference to a last name winters in your notes bigcypress. I believe he is who is being referenced in the dig at chichen itza. I think it may be his father who dug there. He was involved in the Patterson group I think and I'm still trying to confirm this. They told me his first name just yesterday and I already forgot. I'll text for his first name again. He worked at the feild station as an archy I believe, and it was rumored that he had recovered gold more than once here on the island. If he did these were loyalist caches un related to fortune hill. The red ocher I was referring to is not poisonous and was used to treat sails on these ships giving them a tan colored weather proofing. It was also a very traded commodity for the making of paints and dyes. It could just as well been naturally occurring too. I only mention it because it was related to me by someone who claimed to be eyewitness to the Jones ingot story. This little detail I never heard before and led me to believe him a bit more as no one else had mentioned it and this person claimed he was there when the gold was coming up. Kanaki I was just in elutherea for three months fishing, and if there was harry oaks gold that was stashed I'd wager here at elutherea would be the logical place for the oaks stashes. There have been some great finds in elutherea over the years. And I have been hunting around an old cannon site here View attachment 1707313
View attachment 1707314
View attachment 1707317
View attachment 1707318 I found a total of 8 canons at this site last month 2 are still at least 2 feet under the sand. This will be the first time on San sal when I didnt have to work, so this will be purely for adventure. Woooo hoooo !!! This is gonna be fun !! As soon as my wife and kid break for vacation I'm outta here for San sal. Probably June or July, man its gonna be hot !!

Hello Black Bart

Cool photographs. Was that fort of a pirate encampment?

I know of a an alleged treasure story connected to Cat island? It is believed that Cat Island was named after pirate Arthur Catt, who used to frequent the island. For more than four centuries, Cat Island was called San Salvador and thought by some to be the first landfall of Columbus in the New World.

I think you will have fun exploring around those islands.

Kanacki

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How are things doing in the Bahamas after that horrible hurricane? We got lucky here in South Florida.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hurricane Joaquin wiped them out and changed the landscape some. That was the latest hurricane amongst many.
Hello Bart. I hope you are Ok. The Florida Keys got hit hard. How is it in the Bahamas and how did the hurricane affect this treasure site?

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All is well on San sal and the treasure is still secure in its cave. Of course my great plan to get over there never materialized and right before I was ready to go I had a paying job instead. I spent the summer in the great lakes sailing in the chicago mac race and others. The hurricane spared them and they saw no significant winds or even rain. I did here that one resident of San sal was lost in abaco during the storm. It seems my friends elderly uncle was swept away. Very disappointing that my plan fell through.....but....I'm gearing up to go right now. Preparing to go right now. Have a house rented from late Jan-may in spanish wells. I'm pretty sure we will go to San sal at some point during our stay and I know we have plans to fish marlin and wahoo over there.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here we are on the 105 ft Bermuda ketch "white hawk".....gliding across the finish with no one even close. We took the line honors and were first to finish. I missed the bahamas but managed to take part in one of the most prestigious sailing events in the world. The worlds longest fresh water sailboat race. 333 miles !!

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my grandmothers I found this form while doing a google search on here today. I think it’s so cool that you guys were searching for her! This is definitely her handwriting I want to know more about it! Please feel free to private message me and I can really contact details and references or proof etc to whom ever would like it or to hear more about her.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to t-net....I just missed meeting your grandmother back then !! Actually I may have met your grandmother at the riding Rock Inn many years ago....im pretty sure I had to have. As far as I know the treasure is still unrecoverable !! To much controversy......might be back in May one month from now !!

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my grandmothers I found this form while doing a google search on here today. I think it’s so cool that you guys were searching for her! This is definitely her handwriting I want to know more about it! Please feel free to private message me and I can really contact details and references or proof etc to whom ever would like it or to hear more about her.

hi welcome to Tnet, as a new member,im not sure but i dont think you can
PM until X amount of posts, ill send Bc a pm with a link to your post

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not sure what some of this lingo is I am just very interested in what some of the people on her are talking about. I would love to hear more about what has been found of hers and would live to answer questions of any one who has any.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you live in Florida?? Many islanders still believe there is a mega treasure still in the cave on fortune hill !!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions