Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
HI ALL ;D

These fishing weights and wrapping lead were found near the Native and trading camps that I hunt , they are of various age

and the long crude ones I think may date back to the 1820's , yet don't quote me on that as I have not researched them as

much as the other artifacts that I have. Will update later in this thread. The Hook is native and dates to 1790 approx. :read2:

Attachments

• Picture 252.jpg
    Picture 252.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 454
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you found enough to make a good fishing trip. I've got one area by the river where I find a lot of sinkers also. My grandson grabs all of them for his collection. HH.......

mcdpoor

Mar 14, 2009
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
rodgerdodger said:
That's a lot of lead. The one looks like it's shaped like a chicken.
I think your right that is a lead chicken for chicken fishing..LOL

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
awesome hardy..what would them injuns have used for twine back then..bit like our early maori and plaited our native flax grass which later was a main export for the rope manufacturers around the early 1800..cheers des

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
let me know what books or info you find on the sinkers, I have about 450 lbs of them.

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Will do , I know that the weights have been found at some Fort sites and are described similar to the long ones you see

in the pic , the short stubby ones that are made from a mold are old and I think date to about 1860 or later. :read2:

The Hudson's bay Co. did supply lead fishing weights during the Fur Trade , yet I have not found any photos to compare

with. :coffee2:

Lazy J

Greenie
Oct 2, 2009
Washington the state
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
Awesome finds. Amazing what our forefathers did to put food on the table. I found a cache of sinkers once myself. I had been watching a site for years here in Washington State. As soon as it became detectable I went for it. I got a bracelet some coins and the afore mentioned cache of almost three pounds of carefully hidden lead sinkers. I still can't get over it. What the heck!!! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread