I found this today at an old homestead***ALL CLEANED UP***

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found this what i believe is a copper plate at a homestead. the area dates back to 1886 give or take a few years. it was about 6 inches down and it registered as a penny on my explorer. i did a little bit of research and i found out that they produced the Challenge Iceberg refrigerator. the company was founded in 1883 in Grand Haven,Michigan and ceased operations in 1926. could this be considered my first relic? My buddy Art and I hunted this property for two days and pulled some nice stuff out of it. the area we hunted was actually rather small but it had never been hunted and the ground was perfect. thanks for reading.
Bert
***UPDATED CLEANED UP PIC***
this is the plate all cleaned up. i used electrolysis to loosen up the dirt and surface crust and i finished it up with a distilled water & backing soda paste and a copper wire brush. im very happy with the way it came out.

Attachments

• copper plate.JPG
    copper plate.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,070
  • challenge iceberg plate.JPG
    challenge iceberg plate.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 980

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Re: I found this today at an old homestead

That plate is in great shape! Nice find that I'd certainly hang on to.

To answer your question, yep, you now have your first relic.

Grip

OP
OP
brokenarrow

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Dr. it is in great shape. other than the bend it has all it needs is to be cleaned up. ill post it again after i clean it.
i wonder how big the frig was?
so are you a Dr. of gripology.... :laughing7:

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II

From what I found on the Chllenge Iceberg it was an "apartment house" sized refigerator. Here is a picture of it

iceberg.jpg

Here is the link I found the picture and description on:
http://books.google.com/books?id=p2...X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2#PPA197,M1

Funny how I got my internet nickname... I was trying to get setup with an account one afternoon and each name I chose had already been taken. I looked on my desk and saw a DrGrip ink pen, the rest is history... ;D

Grip

OP
OP
brokenarrow

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Grip,or should i say DR. Grip.
Thanks for the info, that is totally awesome see where this plate may have come from. im sure thats what it was attached to.
As far as names are concerned, i kinda got mine the same way. I was watching the movie "A Bright Shining Lie" with Bill Paxton. there towards the end as the VC are closing in on his position he calls in
"Brokenarrow" danger close and well the rest is history.
thanks again Dr.Grip
Bert

OP
OP
brokenarrow

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looking for idea's on how to clean this plate. will electrolysis work? :icon_scratch:
i know it isnt all to valuable but i dont want to ruin it.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

eck id just it it with a wire brush and coat it if its metal leave it as cleaned if its brass, very cool

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

TEXAN Connection said:
eck id just it it with a wire brush and coat it if its metal leave it as cleaned if its brass, very cool

Bingo, cool find.

If you want to do some experimenting with electrolysis use some older junk pieces. I have fried a few things in my tank, cool process though. There are many threads on Treasurenet on how to go about it.

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread