i got a few questions

capy325

Apr 9, 2008
$500.00
$250.00
yes
Quarters are circulated more and easier to identify as silver (my opinion).

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
welcome to the crazy addiction! Quarters come in a 500 dollar box dime in a 250 dollar box. Quarters are harder to find than dimes because they are easier to notice. Dimes are smaller and therefore harder to notice. Most average 1or2 silver dimes per box. Any more than that you are having a great day. It happens quite often though. Good luck

Golden Silver

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Q: If the box of cents is from Brinks, will the dimes, (etc.) also be from Brinks?

A: Yes. There is a chance that the different denominations will be from different sources. I discovered this one small bank. Recently built about a year ago. Apparently the vault was stocked by some corporate decision-maker without understanding the current market and their clientele. They were stocked by Loomis, originally. Recently, they changed to Brinks. They still had boxes of cents from Loomis in the vault whereas the dimes were from Brinks. But the above scenario is more the exception than the rule.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
The great silver meltdown in the 80s decimated a ton of silver quarters. Bags and bags of silver quarters were smelted as silver approached $50 per ounce. One of the big reasons that folks are still finding silver halves is that they have been taken out of circulation due to vending machine compatibility and retailers who hate to mess with them.(there isn't a slot for them in most cash registers). Silver quarter hunters are a strange hardy breed who measure their success in ones and twos instead of bunches.
IMHO, the biggest problem with finding silver quarters are the guys who service these machines. They have had 44 years to siphon silver quarters and they do a helluva good job.
I also think that those pesky 50 state quarters get in the way also. Good luck, Jim

Attachments

• vending machine.jpg
    vending machine.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 239

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I would have to agree with coolpix on this. Especially on the state quarter series, it had people looking at Quarters a lot closer than dimes for a long time now and people simply filtered them out over the last 10 years. Don't forget the Bicentennials. Those also had people looking closer at the quarters.

There hasn't been any design changes to dimes since the Roosevelt dime started back in the late 40's so no one is really looking at the Dimes.......

IMHO

Mojo

OP
OP
D

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
thanks a bunch guys

yea bicentennial quarters i think are just as rare as silvers... of course i exaggerate a little but rarely find them

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
oddly enough the bicentennials had higher mintages but people still hoarded them.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread