I got got the ACE 350

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will take time and practice, but eventually it will start to click.

Some tips: if you get a good strong signal, turn 90 degrees and see if the hit is still there.

When pin pointing, if you move the coil a 4" or so left or right or above, it could be a larger target like a can. Coins will drop off sharply only and inch to either side.

Just because your in coin mode doesnt mean the detector will only find coins. Pieces of aluminum cans (can slaw) or bottle caps will sometimes fall in the coin range.

Dig anything repeatable. If the signal doesnt jump around from iron to coins and stays basically in on range DIG

Hope this helps

Jay

Ok got it.

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, buy a pin pointer, even if you have to buy a harbor freight centech model, for now it is better than nothing. It really helps with recovery and can save a lot of time and frustration.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the 350 and Infinium LS. I take both to the beach. 350 for dry sand and Infinium for the surf and wet sand. They both do very well.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yukon,
Bury various objects and coins so you can hear what the machine will sound like with these various targets.
Maybe stay away from the beach for a little while and stay inland where there are more targets.
Rumor has it that you will need about 100 hours before you start getting the feel for your machine.

Stick with it, don't get frustrated, and read all you can about your machine and the tips and tricks from some of the guys who have been around a while.
And watch as many videos as you can on that particular machine.
Hope this helps and happy hunting buddy!

Pete

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, buy a pin pointer, even if you have to buy a harbor freight centech model, for now it is better than nothing. It really helps with recovery and can save a lot of time and frustration.

I am going to get the Garrett Pro Pointer.

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the 350 and Infinium LS. I take both to the beach. 350 for dry sand and Infinium for the surf and wet sand. They both do very well.

I am going to try it for a few hours tomorrow.

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yukon,
Bury various objects and coins so you can hear what the machine will sound like with these various targets.
Maybe stay away from the beach for a little while and stay inland where there are more targets.
Rumor has it that you will need about 100 hours before you start getting the feel for your machine.

Stick with it, don't get frustrated, and read all you can about your machine and the tips and tricks from some of the guys who have been around a while.
And watch as many videos as you can on that particular machine.
Hope this helps and happy hunting buddy!

Pete

I am going to try playing around with it tomorrow and get the feel on what it's telling me. The dam thing better start talking.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a friend that has just got into detecting. He has a Fisher F2. I have one also,it was my first machine. There is a learning curve with any machine,it just takes some time until,everything starts to come together in your head,and what the machine is telling you. I wouldn't start out on the beach! There are too many adjustments to make to get it working the best it can in that area. My F2 will find coins in my back yard,but I have to run the sensitivity at 2 bars (Low) because of all the WiFi,power lines,ect. in the area. But once it's set right,it will hunt like a bloodhound,sniffing out targets. It just takes time to learn the machines,and understand what they are,or aren't telling you. Hang in there.

Last edited:

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YUP what he said! LOL

I've got a friend that has just got into detecting. He has a Fisher F2. I have one also,it was my first machine. There is a learning curve with any machine,it just takes some time until,everything starts to come together in your head,and what the machine is telling you. I wouldn't start out on the beach! There are too many adjustments to make to get it working the best it can in that area. My F2 will find coins in my back yard,but I have to run the sensitivity at 2 bars (Low) because of all the WiFi,power lines,ect. in the area. But once it's set right,it will hunt like a bloodhound,sniffing out targest. It just takes time to learn the machines,and understand what they are,or aren't telling you. Hang in there.

bighoss1975

May 19, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
I have used the 350 for little over a year now. I got a little frustrated at first (especially trashy areas) but I have recently discovered how to get in between and understand when I have possible multiple targets under the coil. It's taken me this long to learn that. Relevant chair had some great advice, if you hear a good coin signal that drops to iron or you can't repeat it, there's probably some iron close. Go slow and methodical!! That's not exclusive to 350, I bought my son a Bounty Hunter and it is tough to find good targets amongst trash no matter what detector you have (some of the higher end machines may eliminate this but I have not owned one). I missed a lot using disc. I customized to only disc out the lower 3-4 iron notches, then switch to all metal when I get one of those jumpy iffy signals where I suspect iron or multiple targets. I want to upgrade some day, but it's more of a want than need. 350 satisfies me n I think it will be good for you too with practice. I have been exactly where you are.

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the 350 for little over a year now. I got a little frustrated at first (especially trashy areas) but I have recently discovered how to get in between and understand when I have possible multiple targets under the coil. It's taken me this long to learn that. Relevant chair had some great advice, if you hear a good coin signal that drops to iron or you can't repeat it, there's probably some iron close. Go slow and methodical!! That's not exclusive to 350, I bought my son a Bounty Hunter and it is tough to find good targets amongst trash no matter what detector you have (some of the higher end machines may eliminate this but I have not owned one). I missed a lot using disc. I customized to only disc out the lower 3-4 iron notches, then switch to all metal when I get one of those jumpy iffy signals where I suspect iron or multiple targets. I want to upgrade some day, but it's more of a want than need. 350 satisfies me n I think it will be good for you too with practice. I have been exactly where you are.

OK cool I have not gotten a chance to play around with it. I'll try maybe later on today.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right on the money with what you say BH.
A lot of new guys just start (swingin) that detector all around thinking the
coins and jewelry are just going to SCREAM out when you go over one!
And if it's all alone sitting there by itself it will! but the key words are
"SLOW and METHODICAL!'
Watch more videos Yukon, watch how methodical some of these guys are
especially when they get around trash! It really is kind of an art picking
through trash for a good tone to sneak through!

Most important though Yukon is not to get frustrated dude. It's easy to do
at first but try to take a break and think about what's going on around you
and get back at it with a different strategy and attitude.

No probem Yukon.. Practice Practice Practice...

Pete

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right on the money with what you say BH.
A lot of new guys just start (swingin) that detector all around thinking the
coins and jewelry are just going to SCREAM out when you go over one!
And if it's all alone sitting there by itself it will! but the key words are
"SLOW and METHODICAL!'
Watch more videos Yukon, watch how methodical some of these guys are
especially when they get around trash! It really is kind of an art picking
through trash for a good tone to sneak through!

Most important though Yukon is not to get frustrated dude. It's easy to do
at first but try to take a break and think about what's going on around you
and get back at it with a different strategy and attitude.

No probem Yukon.. Practice Practice Practice...

Pete

I am watching I am watching.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say what you want, the guy don't lie!

So be it but most of what he spews out his mouth is Garrett trashing, Garrets are mighty fine machines, if you dig heavy traffic areas where trash is in abundance, then trash is what you're going to find. I have yet to find a single pull tab or bottle cap with my AT Pro, but then I don't hunt local parks and such.

OP, the 350 is a fine machine and even tho Im new to the hobby I say it'll find you plenty, research your area and look for local historical hotspots you can hunt legally, learn it and stick with it, don't be discouraged by the haters that don't have a clue on how to use their machines and blame their lack of experience on the machine itself.
Good Luck & HH.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So be it but most of what he spews out his mouth is Garrett trashing, Garrets are mighty fine machines,
I think it would more fair to say Garrett makes some some mighty fine machines! They make some dogs too!

I have yet to find a single pull tab or bottle cap with my AT Pro, but then I don't hunt local parks and such.
The power button is in the lower left corner!

don't be discouraged by the haters that don't have a clue on how to use their machines and blame their lack of experience on the machine itself.
some people hate because of their vast experience with a certain machine.

I am new at MDing I just got the ACE 350. How is the ACE 350? Should I have gotten something else?

Only you are going to be able to answer your own question. I say learn it well first then make your mind.

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out for about 2 hours and the detector picked up $1.50 quarters, 0.15 nickels, 0.50 dimes, 0.05 pennies and one ring costume, 6 bottle caps, 2 crushed cans and rusty metal. Not bad so far.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's GREAT Yukon! Way to go!
For those cans, raise your coil in the air higher and higher while checking
your target... If you are still getting a good signal and your coil is like
a foot or more in the air then you can be sure it's not a coin ok?

Have you sen this vid yet? This is the best for beginners!
It's with the AT Pro BUT the basics are the same...

Pete

I went out for about 2 hours and the detector picked up $1.50 quarters, 0.15 nickels, 0.50 dimes, 0.05 pennies and one ring costume, 6 bottle caps, 2 crushed cans and rusty metal. Not bad so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's GREAT Yukon! Way to go!
For those cans, raise your coil in the air higher and higher while checking
your target... If you are still getting a good signal and your coil is like
a foot or more in the air then you can be sure it's not a coin ok?

Pete

Ok cool thanks for the advice I do that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread