I guess this counts?

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Today I was driving around running some errands when I spotted an old boarded up house. I figured I should check it out, even though the yard looked like crap. The ground in front was carpeted with garbage, so I focused on what looked like an old gravel driveway that led around back. I found some clad and 5,217 pull tabs (that's an estimate). I saw up farther in this big lot what looked like where a building might have been removed, so I walked over to check it out. As I got closer I could tell some building had been there, but what caught my eye was a single laundry pole right nearby, near a huge old maple tree. The place was a nightmare to hunt, what with tons of trash both buried and on the surface, ivy vines all over catching on my detector, plus stumpy blackberry vines that would stop you in mid swing. It was a mess. But I was still finding clad, so I kept at it. Then I found a 1942 canadian cent, and began a technique that I just heard described here recently on a different thread called 'circling'. I realize now that I had been practicing 'circling' for years, only I have always called it a different name--"wandering around in the general area where you found something". This highly scientific method produced a couple of wheats (44-S, 58-D), and a small silver religious thingy. Now I realize I was just complaining about a silver slump, but I guess I should have been more specific. I want silver coins! But I guess this counts?
:-X

Attachments

• k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, i found almost the exact same cross a few weeks ago

HH
-GC

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks everyone.

I'm sure there are plenty more goodies at this site. I hunted in only a teeny little area of the whole lot. I figure there was probably 3 or 4 old houses there at one time. I'm going to keep an eye on it and hopefully catch it when they scrape all the crud off the surface. Most of the lot is completely unhuntable right now.

B

BIG61AL

This site sounds like it could have great potential. Keep hunting and better coins are bound to pop up. If it has 40's and 50's coins then the silver is there too. Try to be there in the fall when all the wild vegetation is gone for the winter. Or try to pick a spot say 6 feet by 6 feet and dig every signal, something good will come out eventually.
HH
AL

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds and take a gas driven grass trimmer that destroys unwanted weedy obstructions.congrats

tinpan

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is, if a house is abandoned and boarded up, as you say this house was, is it free game to hunt? Doesn't someone still own the property? There are several places like that where I live, but I have been told that I still need to seek permission.

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I'm sure there is more there and certainly some silver, but I'm gonna wait until they start work on the place to hunt any more. I'm just too spoiled / lazy to put much effort into it. I like the easy coins! lol

As far as asking permission goes, I've been hunting sites like that one since the 1970s without asking anyone, and so far no one has ever given me any grief. If for some reason someone ever complained, I would apologize and move on.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as asking permission goes, I've been hunting sites like that one since the 1970s without asking anyone, and so far no one has ever given me any grief. If for some reason someone ever complained, I would apologize and move on.
[/quote]

That's kinda what I figured. Nice finds by the way

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting