My First Day with my DFX in my back yard.

Con

May 21, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
White's Vision
I'm a noob to this hobby but wow. The coin you see on the left is a coin i found near my shed. I'm in New Jersey, and I do know the British and the Revolutionaries were in my area at one time. But if this is what I think it is they were in my back yard. The coin on the left is marked as carolus DEI gratia and is dated 1779. Then right around there I heard the slightest little beeb. I read this book on the DFX and it said if you see a screw cap image dig it anyways. I did and that is where I found the item on the right. I believe it is another coin. There is writing on it but I cannot make it out. I did look it up on the internet and these coins were used over in England at the time. the other stuff around the coins was what was around them. The tannish item bottom left corner looks like pottery

Attachments

• treasure 2.jpg
    treasure 2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
Congrats on the finds, but the coin looks to be a jewelry piece? Is that what I see or am I mistaken? If its Jewelry then they might not of been in your back yard.....But cool finds none the less.....

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it might be a shipwreck piece sold off to pay for expenses...but hey, a colonial is a colonial

Fantastic find and Welcome to the forum
-GC

OP
OP
Con

Con

May 21, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
White's Vision
Well if the coin isn't real no matter, i'll still tell people I found it, it the excitment that keeps me in the game :)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say that find would keep you in the game Con!

Congrats!!!

Nana ;)

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Con,

You are lucky to get involved in this great hobby on the east coast. I unfortunately did not get involved in it untill 2 years after I moved from the east coast to Iowa. The oldest thing that I have found is from like 1950. Trust me when I say that not a whole lot happened in Iowa. A whole lot happened in the bordering states ie. IL, MO, OK, and ND. Iowa history kinda is uneventful. Lots of farming and floods (I swear everything washed to MO in the floods).

Moral of the story....

SHOUT IT LOUD AND SHOW YOUR FINDS PROUD! ESPECIALLY THAT ONE! Work you Yard hard and when you think you have found everything... hunt it again going in a different direction...ie North to south vs. west to east and you will find a ton of stuff again.

Congrats on the fine finds and keep up the good work and most of all keep us posted!

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Very cool, congrats!

What are the four bits at the coin's edges (N, S, E and W)? Is that maybe what j2fun4u was looking at when mentioning jewelry?

Anyway, very cool stuff. I spent 15 minutes in my own yard today looking for a bolt that broke off our mower this weekend (as good an excuse as any). I found a rusty knife blade, a nail, one of my brother's old smoke packs and what I think is a much larger bolt than we lost off the mower. I think there's a lot of potential in my yard, but haven't had the chance to detect it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread