i have $200 and want half dollars but i heard they come in $5oo boxes HELP

LeoTrench-MAINE

Aug 7, 2011
Americas Maritime Province
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do nickels and dimes..

Nick box $100 Dime $250

Roll them by hand and bring them back -trade for another box!!!

get a part time job...save a little

Nickels have silver, so do dimes..

My half boxes here SUCK!!!

If you can't get halfs now. do what you can!!!!

And NEVER GIVE UP!!!
Trench

OP
OP
barajas9536

barajas9536

Aug 24, 2011
i did 40 dollars of nickel and i tried returning them and the teller wanted to charge me a 3 dollar fee...this happen with BankofAmerica. have you ever heard of such a thing? btw i have an account there... of course i refused to pay the fee. when do they have the right to charge a fee? just a reminder im new to CRH-ing. thank you

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
barajas9536 said:
i did 40 dollars of nickel and i tried returning them and the teller wanted to charge me a 3 dollar fee...this happen with BankofAmerica. have you ever heard of such a thing? btw i have an account there... of course i refused to pay the fee. when do they have the right to charge a fee? just a reminder im new to CRH-ing. thank you

wow, I'm surprised by that. I also have an acct. with B of A and I've never been charged a fee for buying or dumping coins - they are usually pretty nice and give good service. And for only a $40 dump? I would just try another B of A office - maybe you'll get better service at another office. And maybe it is best not to buy and dump at the same location - that's what I do - maybe that is their problem.

And with $200 you caan still get nic's and dimes (you don't have to get a whole box) and you can still hunt for halves by just checking at diferent banks to see if they have any already available. That's how I usually score my halves and I've had pretty good luck at it over the past couple of years.

good luck and HH

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
"And maybe it is best not to buy and dump at the same location - that's what I do"

just to clarify I meant I usually don't buy and dump at the same bank - at least not the same coin denomination - but I'll often dump nickels and get cash and more pennies at the same bank for example but I've never been charged a fee. Maybe there have been other CRHer's that have bought and/or dumped a lot at that bank before and they have just decided to start charging fees there for all CRHers because they figure its just not worth it to spend so much time on us CRHers.

Anyway good luck

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
barajas9536 said:
what is your advise so i can get started CRH-ing with the half dollars because i dont have enough to buy a box... i been doing pennies but want to gain money to increase my buying limit to coins and expand onto nickels, quarters and dimes... thank you

Read old posts. Lots of info there for newbies. Good luck.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Doing pennies for copper ties up your money and keeps from having enough swing.

Building swing takes self-denial.

The most painful way to do it is to CRH and sell your finds until your swing builds up.

I'd rather go without vacations, cell phone gadgets and etc.

Keep on Rollin' !

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
Try buying handrolls and loose halves at every bank you can find until you've acquired the $500. Even though you may not have the box fee you can still hunt and find the bling!

Good luck and don't get discouraged. And seriously...don't dump where you buy. It really is considered bad business.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I have my bank order in $200 a week in halves for me * 20 rolls of $10 each machine wrapped -- once I got a bag of $200 in loose halves -- my teller gals will do it gladly for me --

however my gals are only a pick up bank * -- my dump is my food store -- i use the halves to buy food each week * never ever dump where you pick up * -- you might just get the same coins over and over again , plus it ticks off the tellers. :wink: :icon_thumright:

ps my food store uses a differant bank , than I do so no "repeating coins" :wink:

wife doesn't mind since we will spend $200 a week on food however we pay for it --and this way we might get a "silver rebate" * -- so can not lose , might win --wife gets it .--she now loves to silver search as much as me.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
ivan salis said:
I have my bank order in $200 a week in halves for me * 20 rolls of $10 each machine wrapped -- once I got a bag of $200 in loose halves -- my teller gals will do it gladly for me --

however my gals are only a pick up bank * -- my dump is my food store -- i use the halves to buy food each week * never ever dump where you pick up * -- you might just get the same coins over and over again , plus it ticks off the tellers. :wink: :icon_thumright:

ps my food store uses a differant bank , than I do so no "repeating coins" :wink:

wife doesn't mind since we will spend $200 a week on food however we pay for it --and this way we might get a "silver rebate" * -- so can not lose , might win --wife gets it .--she now loves to silver search as much as me.

Do you actually pay with the halves, or do you dump them in a coinstar or something with those free giftcards?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i take them to the desk exchange em with the manager for cash --and pay the bill with the cash (do it that way to avoid stopping up the check out line --got it down to a science now)
coinstar will not take halfs * and that cost money

--only half eatten zinc cents go thru the coinstar --only way to get rid of em --since the machine is "blind" and can not see how crappy they are.

showman

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
fall branch, tennessee
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 350
I am new to CRHing also so i feel your pain. I have found that many smaller banks around here say that they can not get halves. They say they just cant get them. So I have gone to other banks and some have a minimum order. One bank will not order them unless you get 2000.00 in halves. Another bank says 500.00 minimum which is a box. Then I actually ran into another bank that had some in the vault but would not exchange them for me cause i didnt have an account there. So tommarrow I am gona go and open an account there and then get what they have. Hopefully find some silver, we shall see. But I dont really understand why the bank managers act so defensive when you go in and ask them to order you halves lol. they act like you are taking something from them. It is kinda frustrating. But like others said dont dump where you pick up for sure cause it will make the people more irritating lol

Theolog

Greenie
Apr 5, 2011
The suggestions for buying nickle and dime boxes is sound advice. You also might want to just go around to local banks and ask for any loose or rolled halves that they have.

Before I bought my first boxes of halves, I just did this small-time, asking every bank I could find for any halves they had. I would take $50-$100 and drive around until I had spent all my cash on halves or customer wrapped dimes. I would cash-in skunks and keep buying until I had visited every bank within a reasonable distance. After about three weeks of casual roll hunting, I had found 11x dimes, 22x 40% halves, and 3x 90% halves. Finding that many in the wild (with relatively little effort) is what prompted me to start doing boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions