I have been out, what a rush! Update on pipe.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I recently have been detecting, but thought you may be a little sick of my rusty crusty's. (Have no fear, I took pictures of today's ;)) I hit a field today where a 1800's farm used to be. I only had an hour, found some neat old relics, a corn cutter thingy, an old bushing, half a horse shoe (my favorite field find), few other junky pieces. Well An hour and a half later had to go before my Hubby sent out the calvery :D.

Came home fed the working boys, just had to play a little more, so I hit the yard. Yup got a few nails, a 1980 dime, then.............I started to dig a hole and here comes my treasure seeking dog to help me dig the hole ::), she has never showed interest in helping me dig before, so together we dug a STANDING LIBERTY quarter!!!! It's real worn, but it's my very first silver coin find, what a rush! I was jumping and screaming I did it, I did it! :-[ To heck with it I was tickled pink! YEAH!

As far as I can figure it is 1917-1924, it does have the stars below the eagle and if it was recessed date I wold think you'd still be able to see it.

The pipe and perfume bottle cap came out of the crawl space under my 1870 home. I did not picture the rusty crusty nails and window latch, man there were allot of nails. Yup I crawled around in there with my vibra probe in the dirt ::). It was fun, what can I say, the guys opened it up and I am addicted, so crawl I did :D.

Man am I pumped!

P.S. Ty thought it appropriate we display the coin on the peach :D, kids!

Attachments

• silver! 005.JPG
    silver! 005.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 1,201
  • silver! 003.JPG
    silver! 003.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,187
  • silver! 004.JPG
    silver! 004.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,180
  • silver! 001.JPG
    silver! 001.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,178
  • silver! 002.JPG
    silver! 002.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,176
Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Re: I have been out, what a rush!

First my boys would NEVER go hungry ;), I have back up, as a matter of fact I had back up just i case I was late :D, I was. ;D

I hunt my house constantly, that's allot of nails :-\. I have done sooooo much research, hunted really old parks (sorry Dad :P, that are know drug hang outs, I didn't know ???. Boy did I catch heck :-[), fields, parks, woods, 250 year old farms...........I found a SLQ right outside my front entry way?

Now a question........I have hit that same spot HOW many times? Soil conditions make that much of a difference? We finally got some rain, I dug a week ago and the dirt was talcom powder :-\ ? Hmmmmm?

I'm still grinning from ear to ear! YES!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

You had a very good day indeed. Those are some nice finds!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COUNTRY GIRL said:
First my boys would NEVER go hungry ;), I have back up, as a matter of fact I had back up just i case I was late :D, I was. ;D

I hunt my house constantly, that's allot of nails :-\. I have done sooooo much research, hunted really old parks (sorry Dad :P, that are know drug hang outs, I didn't know ???. Boy did I catch heck :-[), fields, parks, woods, 250 year old farms...........I found a SLQ right outside my front entry way?

Now a question........I have hit that same spot HOW many times? Soil conditions make that much of a difference? We finally got some rain, I dug a week ago and the dirt was talcom powder :-\ ? Hmmmmm?

I'm still grinning from ear to ear! YES!

Way to go CG!!! How bout that - in your own yard :)

Yes - ground conditions can definitely have an affect - a little rain can do wonders!!

Now doesn't it make you wonder how many more old coins are buried out there in your backyard :)

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, a little rain will help you get deeper and better signals.

You could hunt your yard for years and would still find stuff, I do.

A little something that might give a clue to why this is.

Earth worms can help drop or raise coins, and freeze and spring thaw can bring them up. That's why we have to roll our lawns every year, to flatten out the raised spots.

Keep hunting.
Ken

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300

WTG Country!! ;D She's a beauty....only found one myself in all these years! :)

Metal has a higher conductivity in moist ground...hence, the rain we had helped your machine 'see' the target better than in the dry powdery soil we've had... :)

Also, if you pass over the same area in a different direction, you're bound to get a reading that you may not have gotten in a former pass...all depends on what's next to the target to 'mask' it (such as an iron nail that you love so much :P), or if the target (coin) is on it's side...it will be easier detected at one angle vs another...

Hope that makes sense! ;)

Either way...great find! :o Now go get more!! ;D
HH,
Hank 8)

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nice finds and the silver makes it even better congrats ;)

mtbiker

Aug 24, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & White's PI

Nice finds...........I really like the peaches!!!! ;D

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

That's it I'm waterin' the lawn daily.....don't tell the hubby..... can't blame the water bill on the pool in November ??? ? I'm only detecting the wet dirt! Unless I get the itch :D.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

Wow...great finds CG...I know you are proud of the silver but that clay pipe sure got my attention! ;D

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Rock on, you!

Very inspiring to see something besides the rusty-crustys we (ok, ME) know so well. It gives me hope ;D

Congratulations on your first silver - and what a silver!

HH!
Nan

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Love the pipe thats awsome any idea about the date on that thing or what its made of. :o

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

SLQ's look great even when worn, but I think the clay pipe is the pick of the litter! The bottle stopper is great, too.

Keep at it! I'm still finding stuff on my 8th visit to a medium-sized 1800's site.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice first, and all the rusty things and trash you have dug makes it even better. Congrats.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congratulations, Country Girl. A SLQ is a fantastic silver coin to find! :o

There'll be no looking back now...you're off and running. :)

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

Congratulations on your first silver coin and it's an SLQ!

Older homes sometimes have thousands of iron nails in the yard. When your machine picks up one piece of iron (or discriminates) it out, it can mask other targets including other pieces of iron.

You could always set your machine to all metal and dig smaller areas at a time completely clean. Also sometimes if a coin is standing on end it can be tricky to hear. One cure for that is to stomp on the ground over an iffy signal.

I'm always interested in pulling silver out of the iron.

What detector do you use?

Ridley

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Are you excited? Congratulations,girl! Now get you a Riker box and start that display!

Kas - I hate to cut the grass,I'll be damn if I'm gonna iron it if it gets wrinkled!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Congratulations getting to get out MDing and on that SLQ. Really love that design and look forward to finding my first some day.

Rev

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread