I have much more respect now, for all you cornfield recoverers!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received permission for one of my very own to hunt! This place has a little over 100 acres!!! (YIKES!!!)

Anyway, I have a whole new perspective on all you cornfield troopers out there! :)
If I had just left all my equipment in the car and just started walking around in the freshly harvested cornfield, with all it's stubble, etc. It would NOT take very long for me to get very, very tired!!! :(

Let alone trying to swing a coil or hear a signal! I must have tripped elebenty-nine times!! LOL

Also, the signals are so much more difficult to figure out because of having to raise and lower the coil just to swing it over the target! Deep targets are particularly hard because you have to add a few inches of having the coil off the ground in order to clear!

I just took a strenuously, leisure stroll in a random pattern for about 2 hours today. Trying to figure out where things might have been in the past. Even the mineralization seemed to change from moment to moment! I had to keep retuning. :(

What I found was about what I expected for a first time. But, I felt like a raw cadet out there today!

Cornfield pros? You have all my respect! :)

HH!

Attachments

• IMGA2051.JPG
    IMGA2051.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 2

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
WHADIFIND said:
I just received permission for one of my very own to hunt! This place has a little over 100 acres!!! (YIKES!!!)

Anyway, I have a whole new perspective on all you cornfield troopers out there! :)
If I had just left all my equipment in the car and just started walking around in the freshly harvested cornfield, with all it's stubble, etc. It would NOT take very long for me to get very, very tired!!! :(

Let alone trying to swing a coil or hear a signal! I must have tripped elebenty-nine times!! LOL

Also, the signals are so much more difficult to figure out because of having to raise and lower the coil just to swing it over the target! Deep targets are particularly hard because you have to add a few inches of having the coil off the ground in order to clear!

I just took a strenuously, leisure stroll in a random pattern for about 2 hours today. Trying to figure out where things might have been in the past. Even the mineralization seemed to change from moment to moment! I had to keep retuning. :(

What I found was about what I expected for a first time. But, I felt like a raw cadet out there today!

Cornfield pros? You have all my respect! :)

HH!

LMAO there's a art to it for sure.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: only tried it once , very tuff with a 15" W.O.T. Coil on too :laughing7:

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My primary hunting grounds are corn fields lol so yeah it's always changing. Good thing is year after year (my 3rd season in a few specific fields I've been working) is that I keep finding more stuff!

I see you got a couple of coins too, cool! Keep going back for more :icon_thumright:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice ive yet to try a field yet but next year i plan on it:icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 acres is pretty small, I thought you had huge fields over there, many of our fields get close to 100 acres & some bigger. I was tired last night as it was a big farm & we don't know the hotspots which means tons of walking in sticky mud. If you want to do 5 hour days you will need to build up a little practice.
If you are not already doing it, my tip is to have a spade the same height as a walking stick, I use it as my third leg all the time.

I generally don't do corn stubble very often but we have Oilseed Rape & thats like thousands of 7 inch daggers, generally we wait until conditions improve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 acres is pretty small, I thought you had huge fields over there, many of our fields get close to 100 acres & some bigger. I was tired last night as it was a big farm & we don't know the hotspots which means tons of walking in sticky mud. If you want to do 5 hour days you will need to build up a little practice.
If you are not already doing it, my tip is to have a spade the same height as a walking stick, I use it as my third leg all the time.

I generally don't do corn stubble very often but we have Oilseed Rape & thats like thousands of 7 inch daggers, generally we wait until conditions improve.

Oh, there are some humungous fields. But, if my first "trip" was any indication, they would KILL me!!! ;)

One problem I had was that I usually dig just about everything. If I do that I'd never stop digging out there! Would be easier to just get a backhoe and a screen. LOL I'm trying to limit some of the work, at least in the beginning anyway. Another problem is no points of reference. It's just one very big field and it all looks the same to me. Once I can establish some sort of pattern of finds, I might be able to better zero in on some areas. If I can stay on my feet long enough. ;)

Thanks for the tips and anyone else have any, fire away!

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, by the way, how do you approach the field? In between the rows with a short swing?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
WHADIFIND said:
Oh, by the way, how do you approach the field? In between the rows with a short swing?

I swing the coil in short slow swings between the rows.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing the coil in short slow swings between the rows.

Really makes it difficult to use these new "motion" detectors. The old Groundhog is a threshold type. Easier to use slow and with no room to swing.

Guess I'll figure something out.

Thanks!

HH!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hardest thing about field hunting is finding the sites. The rest is fun cake to eat! :)

Cheers,

Buck

calmerthanu

Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon / minelab x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yea its a lot better when the fields have been planted with beans instead of corn

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, there are some humungous fields. But, if my first "trip" was any indication, they would KILL me!!! ;)

One problem I had was that I usually dig just about everything. If I do that I'd never stop digging out there! Would be easier to just get a backhoe and a screen. LOL I'm trying to limit some of the work, at least in the beginning anyway. Another problem is no points of reference. It's just one very big field and it all looks the same to me. Once I can establish some sort of pattern of finds, I might be able to better zero in on some areas. If I can stay on my feet long enough. ;)

Thanks for the tips and anyone else have any, fire away!

HH!

If its a noisy site, then cherry pick to begin with.
The rows are your point of reference, grid them from left to right or right to left. I normally start where the crop changes direction around the edge on a known tyre track, then I can 'mark off' & return.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly hunt fields here in Southwest Georgia where there are hundreds of acres in one area. How I have had some success in finding the right areas to hunt is to look for the broken glass. After the field is plowed and it is rained on or irrigated, the old glass will sparkle where I can see it at a distance and will generally give you an idea of how old the site is. What I haven't figured out is how to find the old privies in a field. A T-handled probe is truly a needle in a hay stack hunt and hasn't worked out too well so far.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that what i do what till bean are harvested then swing and it paid for the wait double barbers

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fields are no longer plowed around here.
I don't think they even touch the foot tall corn stalk remains till they are planting the new years crop
at the same time,

I know I've been watching a field that had a cabin on it.
early this year it finally looked easy to walk on.
When I asked I was told it was just planted .

Now it's all foot tall Stubble & weeds again ???

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wish they would plow them they are some deep targets and this pa clay is no fun even on a shallow target
I don't think they even touch the foot tall corn stalk remains till they are planing the new years crop
at the same time

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they even touch the foot tall corn stalk remains till they are planting the new years crop
at the same time,

I know I've been watching a field that had a cabin on it.
early this year it finally looked easy to walk on.
When I asked I was told it was just planted .

Now it's all foot tall Stubble & weeds again ???
Minimal Cutivation it's called Jeff...the way forward I'm afraid, a lot of Farmers do it here to.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread