I have much more respect now, for all you cornfield recoverers!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received permission for one of my very own to hunt! This place has a little over 100 acres!!! (YIKES!!!)

Anyway, I have a whole new perspective on all you cornfield troopers out there! :)
If I had just left all my equipment in the car and just started walking around in the freshly harvested cornfield, with all it's stubble, etc. It would NOT take very long for me to get very, very tired!!! :(

Let alone trying to swing a coil or hear a signal! I must have tripped elebenty-nine times!! LOL

Also, the signals are so much more difficult to figure out because of having to raise and lower the coil just to swing it over the target! Deep targets are particularly hard because you have to add a few inches of having the coil off the ground in order to clear!

I just took a strenuously, leisure stroll in a random pattern for about 2 hours today. Trying to figure out where things might have been in the past. Even the mineralization seemed to change from moment to moment! I had to keep retuning. :(

What I found was about what I expected for a first time. But, I felt like a raw cadet out there today!

Cornfield pros? You have all my respect! :)

HH!

Attachments

• IMGA2051.JPG
    IMGA2051.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 2

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to hunt cornfields with a 9 inch coil you still get your depth and don't have to fight the rows so bad try it out you'll love it. You had some nice finds for 100 acres. It seems a bit over whelming but first check aresa closest to the road say around 100 feet. When you find squal nails you know something stood there a house maybe a barn maybe even the old chicken coop that he burried all his money in. Who would think of a farmer burying money in a chicken coop especially with a dirt floor all he'd have to say is gotta go get some eggs and bury it come back with a couple eggs.. Just reaching here.. HH and good luck on your field. At least your out of the house doing what you love.....

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received permission for one of my very own to hunt! This place has a little over 100 acres!!! (YIKES!!!)

Anyway, I have a whole new perspective on all you cornfield troopers out there! :)
If I had just left all my equipment in the car and just started walking around in the freshly harvested cornfield, with all it's stubble, etc. It would NOT take very long for me to get very, very tired!!! :(

Let alone trying to swing a coil or hear a signal! I must have tripped elebenty-nine times!! LOL

Also, the signals are so much more difficult to figure out because of having to raise and lower the coil just to swing it over the target! Deep targets are particularly hard because you have to add a few inches of having the coil off the ground in order to clear!

I just took a strenuously, leisure stroll in a random pattern for about 2 hours today. Trying to figure out where things might have been in the past. Even the mineralization seemed to change from moment to moment! I had to keep retuning. :(

What I found was about what I expected for a first time. But, I felt like a raw cadet out there today!

Cornfield pros? You have all my respect! :)

HH!
It's a bit of a lottery when the conditions are like that, you did well finding what you did, I have a hot anglo saxon site just down the road from me, it's still in rape sead stubble and I won't go on it...I hate the bloody stuff.:laughing7:

SS

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's easier to just hunt arrowheads and walk the whole thing and when you see glass there you go. No till is making it harder though. Hit high spots first. Have fun :)

bobcat

Aug 18, 2012
nebraska
Detector(s) used
whites - eagle 2 sl, eagle spectrum, xlt, dfx, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some success cutting across the corn field perpendicular to the rows. This depends on how low the corn is harvested to try and do this. It allows you to get closer to the ground between the rows. Most the time cornfields are just plain tough. Sometimes a person can wait for the next crop rotation or the field to be worked again. I have found some good things in cornfields even when it is the toughest. Consider that some people who metal detect might give up because of the hard hunting. This will leave the goodies for you. Sometimes the treasure is in the row keeping you away from getting to it. This will keep the treasure for you next year. Well to sum it up.... it is hard work but treasure is where you find it. Good luck

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having hunted cornfields, the length of the stubble can make a big difference. None of it is easy, but low stubble sure beats the knee high stuff. :tongue3: A mid-sized coil is helpful too. Good luck! :icon_thumright:

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread