I have never found a silver coin

Lacomo

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been MDing a couple weeks and I have never found a silver coin. Today I thought that had all changed. I had been MDing about an hour around a very old house place that had a rundown mobile home on it. I had been digging about an hour, digging nothing but junk, and had given up and was walking back to my truck when I saw the ribbed edge of a very large silver looking coin. I just knew it was a silver dollar and my heart was racing as I bent over to pick it up. I was very disapointed to see that it was as light as a feather and possably made out of aluminum. It's some kind of token that was made by General Mills advertising the 1998 Olympics. The modern silver is for size reference. coin.jpg

Upvote 0

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a cool find. And you WILL find silver. I found my first fast, and then it took another 6 months to find my second. They are out there, so the more you get out there, the more you will find. Good luck!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like granthansen said,just got to keep hunting with coil to the ground and it will happen eventually.Good luck...

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what you mean by silver, I have only found one 1964 quarter detecting. I have found more old coins in the couches that I buy at storage auctions. lol. Been doing this 2 years, I am very active. I just dont pull the old silver. Keep at it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been MDing a couple weeks and I have never found a silver coin. Today I thought that had all changed. I had been MDing about an hour around a very old house place that had a rundown mobile home on it. I had been digging about an hour, digging nothing but junk, and had given up and was walking back to my truck when I saw the ribbed edge of a very large silver looking coin. I just knew it was a silver dollar and my heart was racing as I bent over to pick it up. I was very disapointed to see that it was as light as a feather and possably made out of aluminum. It's some kind of token that was made by General Mills advertising the 1998 Olympics. The modern silver is for size reference. View attachment 766511

Only a couple weeks , sounds like youve been watching too many MD shows ,I believe it took me over a year to find my 1st silver coin & that was in the late 90s when there was more silver coins to be found :icon_scratch: Remember location , location,iocation, and as said above keep hunting and it will come.GOOD LUCK 2 YOU Davers

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And when you do finally find one, there will be more on the property, so keep swinging.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first one usually takes awhile to find as time goes on they will become more frequent. Davers is correct about location. If your not in an area that was active while silver was in circulation then you chances of finding it will be lower. The more you use your machine then more in tune you will become to finding the silver. If there are wheatie pennies there is usually silver just keep at it.

HH

NJ

kingingkunsan

Greenie
Mar 5, 2013
Goldsboro, NC
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Tesoro Eldorado
Minelab Explorer II
Tesoro Golden micro Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree

Only a couple weeks into detecting and no silver. I like others took months to find my first silver. Keep at it they will come. Why do you think pics of silver coins get posted? because they are not found very often. My wheat cent to silver coin ratio is about 30 wheats to 1 silver coin.

chasu

Jul 9, 2007
South Georgia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT pro and XP Deus
Hang in there Lacomo. The silver will come as you gain experience. Talk to people around your town and find out where people gathered. I found out through a friend the lot a local school is on, was once the fairgrounds. So far 10 silver coins this year after 9 the previous 4 years. Research and perseverance are the key. Good luck as you learn your machine and area better.
charlie

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was that easy to find silver, EVERYONE would be doing it. Don't just focus on Silver, look for Rings, Gold and Silver. Look for anything you don't already have. I have 5 Suspender buckles, a huge assortment of square nails, a milling ball. tokens, and stuff I don't even know what it is. This morning I found a Sobriety Coin for 11 years clean and sober in the same area I had previously found a 1917 Merc and a 1918 Token. None of the three did I have before. My first full year MD'ing was assume. Yours will be too, just keep on plugging away.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me several years to find my first silver, it will happen though.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first merc dime in 2 weeks...the very next day i dug 13 silver and many indians and wheats ...research research..and then research

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
Portland, Oregon/ I travel
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your token as well! I agree a silver dollar would have been better. Your time is coming! I thought maybe I would never find a silver dollar....boy was I suprised! As others have said....just keep it up....there is lots out there to find.....you just have to be a the right place to do it! Good luck!

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
I have been in this great hobby since 1998 and have never found a silver coin... You will not have that curse I promise you. I have found gold jewelry, tokens, civil war relics and enough clad to pay for all my machines. Just one of those deals, but I love the hunt and when I finally get silver I expect the flood gates to open :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you'll get silver eventually. Heck, even Wldbil will find silver eventually (even if I have to bury it myself on his next hunt LOL)

HappyRyan

Mar 14, 2013
Midland, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always in the last place you would expect to find it. That's why its still there...
I hunted every old place i could find for two months with no luck and BAM! swinging the MD on the way to my truck two feet from my front door two inches in the ground got my first mercury dime. It will happen. HH
1937 front sm.JPG

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted my butt off for months without a silver coin.Then,in desperation,I tried hunting kinda random spots.Turnouts on the highway,areas where cars parked,virtually no reason places.The silver came,and came,and came.I do alot of research but I have to say that alot of my favorite finds came....just cause.
hang tough...its comin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread