johnsonconnie34

Greenie
Jun 8, 2013
Snow Camp NC
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I dug up a huge quartz rock, When I got the rock home, I started rinsing the rock off. Small bits of rock came our of the cracks, I have not seen a quartz rock like this one. I been prospecting for two years, but this rock is so big and the tiny rocks that come out of it, are so beautiful img529.jpg img541.jpg img542.jpg img546.jpg img547.jpg img548.jpg img552.jpg img553.jpg img554.jpg img556.jpg img557.jpg img558.jpg img559.jpg img560.jpg Here you will seem the bits of rock, I don't even know what they are.

Upvote 2

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
#3 I know you checked hard rock mining section. Takoda had some pics that look like your last pic. .... this is 3rd time trying to post, I give up after this one lol

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some hydrothermal quartz which is good if you are gold prospecting because gold often occurs in it.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like central texas quartz. Greaser may be right, might contain some gold. The stuff here has a bit, but you couldn't get rich on it. Other places---YES...Good hunting...

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a fair amount of mineralization in your specimen. Some looks to be mica's and some looks like possible pyrites. Coloration is good. Overall its a piece of massive quartz. The quartz itself is "rotting", a term meaning that its breaking down, and as it degrades it'll break up along the fractures in the stone as well as the other minerals degrading in between the crystals. You may find some good crystals nearby seeing as some of the bits have nice faces on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread