I have said it before and I will say it again.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When at garage sales and you are looking for jewelry always go thru the bowl or box of costume/junk jewelry. Today it was a basket just 1/4 full of junky stuff but I kept finding nice looking things at the bottom. Twice I had to tell other shoppers don't touch the pile I was setting aside. I picked up the half handfull and put some **extras on top and the side and found the owner and offered $3 she accepted and gave me a bag.

Got home and this is what I found:
10 pieces of gold (earrings)
11 pieces of silver (rings, pendants, earrings)
3 pieces of junk **extras (chunky chain, ring & ??)

Everything was small, gold value $140 and silver $50

**extras: These are what I call throw aways. (I literally have a big jewelry box half full of these) If the lady didn't want to sell all of that for three dollars I did not want to offer more, so what I would have done is pick out 2-3 of the bigger "extras" and offer to put them back and still offer $3 :icon_pirat:. This works 90% of the time.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Great work and great advice. Also, sometimes depending on the circumstances and situation, I'll try and get the whole lot cheap and sort through it later. This gives me more GS time and keeps the competition out. Generally, I only try this route if I spot something interesting in the pile.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feels like that would be underhanded to me... I'd even go as far as saying its dishonest... The more I read about you guys that treasure hunt yard sales the more I see how some of you have such a cut throat time doing it... if it was like that here I'd never do it but its not... I see a little greed but nothing like what I read here.

I am always giving people more then they ask for at yard sales... I know its worth more then what they are asking, I am making a profit on it anyways... and to be honest they probably need to extra since that is why they are having the garage sale.

But if that how you roll and you can live with yourself so be it.

Greed is an awful thing it changed people and not for the better!

Chukers

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a young couple where I live and this past summer they were having a yard sale,and the wife put out some gold necklaces,that were almost free.I spoke up and told her that these are worth much,much more than the price she had on them.She told me that she took it to one of those places that you sell your gold to,and they told her that it wasn't real and offed her less than $20.So i bought the lot for $10 and took it to the place I sell all my gold at and they gave me $150.00 for them.I then came back home and took the money over to their house and give it to them,she was so surprised.
It pays to shop around when your selling your gold. :icon_scratch:

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
chukers said:
Feels like that would be underhanded to me... I'd even go as far as saying its dishonest... The more I read about you guys that treasure hunt yard sales the more I see how some of you have such a cut throat time doing it... if it was like that here I'd never do it but its not... I see a little greed but nothing like what I read here.

I am always giving people more then they ask for at yard sales... I know its worth more then what they are asking, I am making a profit on it anyways... and to be honest they probably need to extra since that is why they are having the garage sale.

Chukers

you for real? they set it out to sell and put their price they wanted on it and if it was worth anything more than what they set out, it was their responsibility to research it.
Let me be the first to say alot of people just plain do not care about or know what they have. I see it every week doing these forelcosure inspections and clean outs. They leave some of the best stuff behind, gone for years and never came back. Gold, silver, guns, electronics, cars . Baby albums, family stuff antiques and collectables etc. You want to pay more then thats on you but why pass the judgment on others who dont fly like you? now its our job to do their work for them? When I have my annual yard sale I know what I have and am selling and the value and still cut deals. I dont give away my stuff but will work with you on it. Of course I dont put the good stuff out either.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
centfladigger said:
chukers said:

Chukers

you for real? they set it out to sell and put their price they wanted on it and if it was worth anything more than what they set out, it was their responsibility to research it.
Let me be the first to say alot of people just plain do not care about or know what they have. I see it every week doing these forelcosure inspections and clean outs. They leave some of the best stuff behind, gone for years and never came back. Gold, silver, guns, electronics, cars . Baby albums, family stuff antiques and collectables etc. You want to pay more then thats on you but why pass the judgment on others who dont fly like you? now its our job to do their work for them? When I have my annual yard sale I know what I have and am selling and the value and still cut deals. I dont give away my stuff but will work with you on it. Of course I dont put the good stuff out either.

I was referring to the sneakiness of the original post there is no need for that... people will sell their stuff far less then they are worth (as you stated) there is no need to try to deceive them or be sneaky about it. that is what I was trying to get across. If they are happy with what you offer or if you are happy with what their price is then great... I personally like to give a little extra... I still make a good enough profit... try it it really makes a difference to them and makes them smile.

Chukers

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I think there is FAR worse greed occurring in this country (health care system, corporations, etc) than what is being discussed in the Garage Sales community. That is all I will say because I am really trying to be nice here.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Whenever I buy something I always ask how much for the SILVER or GOLD jewelry. At that point I let them decide what they want for it. I've told them what I think it is, they decide the value. Also, I use a cup or bowl they have for sale to hold my pickings so that its easier to handle and protect from other hunters.

Two stories.
I was buying silver jewelry at a GS. I asked the young lady why she was selling it so cheap. She said she wanted to buy new jewelry. The total value of 8 pieces of jewelry was about enough for half of a new piece of comparable jewelry. I looked at the young lady's dad who was helping at the sale. He looked me in the eye and shrugged his shoulders. Sometimes they have to learn the hard way.

I was in Florida and I stopped by a YS without any money, the teenager running the sale didn't mind if I had her hold some items while I went to get some more money (3 long herringbone 18&24k gold necklaces@$10 each). When I came back with the money the youngster was gone, the mom was outside, and the gold was missing. I immediately asked the mom if I could ask three questions. SHe said yes. I asked if the young girl was in trouble, yes. I asked if she had tried to sell mom's gold jewelry, yes. I asked if she would cut me a deal on the silver earrings she had there since I had told the girl the necklaces were real gold and appeared to be low priced, yes. I got a $12 pair of very nice sterling earrings for $2. I was bummed about the gold but felt my concience is clear.

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
chukers said:

Chukers
Chukers,
To refer to cyberdan as a person of GREED is the most ridiculous things I could imagine. Dan has shared a wealth of knowledge on this forum for years. I use ideas gained from Dan each week. He has on a number of occasions offered knowledge, via PM, to myself and many others. Please tone it down. Dan is not greedy, dishonest, underhanded, nor cut throat. Dan is an MVP!!!!!

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jnkhntr said:
chukers said:

Chukers
Chukers,
To refer to cyberdan as a person of GREED is the most ridiculous things I could imagine. Dan has shared a wealth of knowledge on this forum for years. I use ideas gained from Dan each week. He has on a number of occasions offered knowledge, via PM, to myself and many others. Please tone it down. Dan is not greedy, dishonest, underhanded, nor cut throat. Dan is an MVP!!!!!

I never said anything bad about anyone... However I did say something about certain actions stated in this thread... its the age old rivalry good vs bad and I am not talking about people.

Chukers

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jnkhntr said:
To refer to cyberdan as a person of GREED is the most ridiculous things I could imagine.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will admit to miserly and thrifty tho :icon_pirat: ;D

I have to do the best I can at yardsales, and I am happy to pass on my knowledge it it helps others make a score.

I am doing this to help put my daughter through college. I actually wrote a very large check this morning as part payment for next quarter. The fees keep going up and my pay does not. The G#d D##n politions :angry5: just passed a law out here to give illegal mexican kids college grants and loans. This is CA but they are going too far, I already have to help pay for their schooling and medical through 12th grade. Now they want my taxes to pay for illegals to go to college. Where will this money come from? It will come from the same source that pays for about half of my daughters pre-vet school fees, which means less in the future for her and more out of my pocket. :blob7:

I won't rob a bank or do a home invasion but I will go to yard sales and get the best price on things, and I will pass on any info to help other on this site.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
jnkhntr said:
To refer to cyberdan as a person of GREED is the most ridiculous things I could imagine.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will admit to miserly and thrifty tho :icon_pirat: ;D

I have to do the best I can at yardsales, and I am happy to pass on my knowledge it it helps others make a score.

I am doing this to help put my daughter through college. I actually wrote a very large check this morning as part payment for next quarter. The fees keep going up and my pay does not. The G#d D##n politions :angry5: just passed a law out here to give illegal mexican kids college grants and loans. This is CA but they are going too far, I already have to help pay for their schooling and medical through 12th grade. Now they want my taxes to pay for illegals to go to college. Where will this money come from? It will come from the same source that pays for about half of my daughters pre-vet school fees, which means less in the future for her and more out of my pocket. :blob7:

I won't rob a bank or do a home invasion but I will go to yard sales and get the best price on things, and I will pass on any info to help other on this site.

Oh I'm with you on all that... I am in Texas and I feel your pain there!

Chukers

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW
chukers said:
I was referring to the sneakiness of the original post there is no need for that... people will sell their stuff far less then they are worth (as you stated) there is no need to try to deceive them or be sneaky about it. that is what I was trying to get across. If they are happy with what you offer or if you are happy with what their price is then great...
I personally like to give a little extra... I still make a good enough profit... try it it really makes a difference to them and makes them smile.
I'm not worthy :notworthy:

Chukers
Adj. 1. sneaky - marked by deception; "achieved success in business only by underhand methods"
underhanded, underhand
corrupt, crooked - not straight; dishonest or immoral or evasive

chukers said:

I am always giving people more then they ask for at yard sales... I know its worth more then what they are asking, I am making a profit on it anyways... and to be honest they probably need to extra since that is why they are having the garage sale. more bowing :notworthy:

Chukers

This is the one that really gets me laughing, with the back pedaling and all.

chukers said:
I never said anything bad about anyone... However I did say something about certain actions stated in this thread... its the age old rivalry good vs bad and I am not talking about people.
oh lord the devil made me do it

Chukers

Excuse me now, i'm gonna go throw up. ::) ::) ::)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
cyberdan said:
I am doing this to help put my daughter through college. I actually wrote a very large check this morning as part payment for next quarter. The fees keep going up and my pay does not. The G#d D##n politions :angry5: just passed a law out here to give illegal mexican kids college grants and loans.

I hear ya Dan!

This is crazy, but I still get angry when I think about all the kids that went to my school absolutely free, only because the school was trying to make the campus "a more diverse place".

Those kids went to school absolutely for free, yet they complained about it like it was a prison. They got both free tuition and room, but they had to buy books and meals. You would have thought that those costs were killing them.

There was a kid from a middle eastern country that went totally for free, and he professed to hate the school, the town, the state, and the U.S....but he got to attend my college for free. I swear that guy is making roadside bombs somewhere in the Middle East these days.

My dad worked every hour of overtime he could get, and I worked 35 hours a week at a back breaking job at nights so I could turn over every cent I earned to the school...while those getting free rides were partying every night like it was 1999.

Okay...I am stepping off my soap box now, but I hear ya!!!!!

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I did the pre-paid thing for my daughter and son. It wont pay it all but it will help, plus I started accounts for them when they were born and showed them how to make money selling eggs or rocks or boxes of phosphate with sharks teeth in them. They learned quick

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
This is crazy, but I still get angry when I think about all the kids that went to my school absolutely free, only because the school was trying to make the campus "a more diverse place".
We need diversity like a whole in the head, it does not work. Since I am in SoCA we get a lot of foreigners moving here. Do they come here and blend in with everyone else. NOPE! They take over communities even to the point that most of the business signs are in their language and not English. I don't mind if people came over here legally and assimilate into American life. I have been through the green card hassle personally. My wife is Japanese and we did everything legally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It ticks off both of us when we talk about other Asian persuasions just filling up towns and driving up prices. (can't say that happens with those from south of the border)

Clovis sorry for getting on your soapbox.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
Cyberdan,

Thanks for all of your great tips! Negotiating is fun, too bad our governmnt people don't learn some of this!

R

PS Thanks for the extra time you took to answer my questions!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions