Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to get to the pharmacy to pick up something, and since I had to go out there ANYWAY, I detoured to my best spot (at the moment), and decided to try to "think out of the box" and see if I could find ANYTHING! Finds are getting scarcer and most are deep.

So here we go:

IMG_1663.JPG IMG_1662.JPG IMG_1664.JPG IMG_1665.JPG

Anyone know what the brass sheet item with punched out stars is?

Upvote 25

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Smokey. Love the Civil War sites!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I haven't gotten a Mason and Mckee # on any of the minies for this whole year! Something to do soon.

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there 3rd from left a .69 cal minie?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. We've only found a few of those on the site.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Smokey!!! Congrats!!!! Sweet Plate!!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys and gals, any idea on the brass stamped thing with the stars. Could easily be post CW.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet plate you got there with very nice patina. Is it a buckle or box

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a buckle with the arrowhead style hooks.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Buckle is rockin sweet find I love those always wonder how someone would drop that and not pick it up so there pants didnt fall down LOL Good hunt Glad you got out. Tommy

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I think it's funny that you dig a CW "buckle with the arrowhead style hooks" and you don't even mention it in your initial post.

Of course, these must just be so plentiful in Maryland that you guys have kick them out of the way to dig the mini balls! :laughing7:

What are the dimensions of the brass relic with the stars?

Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the pics spoke for themselves, but did forget to mention the back. Digging is getting extremely hard and tiring for me anymore, but I haven't quite given up yet. The brass piece is about 3" x 4". It's thin stamped brass. And yes, we have found our share of plates on this farm and on the one about 15 miles away. I think we're up to maybe 15 by now (both farms). I didn't dig all (or even most) of them. It's a BIG piece of property as is the other one nearby. I think this is the 5th year come this fall it's been hit, and some places have never seen a coil yet. The 2nd farm is bigger, and you have to pack a lunch to go from one end to another.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think it's funny that you dig a CW "buckle with the arrowhead style hooks" and you don't even mention it in your initial post.

Of course, these must just be so plentiful in Maryland that you guys have kick them out of the way to dig the mini balls! :laughing7:

What are the dimensions of the brass relic with the stars?

Dave

I was thinking the same thing... heh

I was gonna congrats and all... but I was thinking... ehhh no biggie to smokes.

:P

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the getting old and tired thing. And the disinfection after going to the pharmacy, and the quarantining of the stuff I bought, you know, same old same old in the land of the plague.

And funny you should mention it, but my bucket list is complete. Oldest coin 3rd century Roman (x3), 6th century Byzantine Coin, 14th century German silver coin, several gold coins including American, Spanish and English, Rev War belt plates (2), no 1812 plates for some reason and only a few buttons (3), they should be around here, 300 Civil War buttons, mainly Union eagle buttons with a splattering of Confederate buttons and Confederate school buttons thrown in, Civil war buckles (both sides), Spanish cobs, colonial coins, 1793 US cent, whole colonial bottles, whole CW bottles, Indian artifacts, silver everything, and on and on and on.

Most of the older dug stuff is gone now (stuff from 60's thru 90's). I started in the 1960's and in the 90's had to sell most everything.

I have given my daughters most of my collection as of now, and have been downsizing the purchased items for years now.

I love the digging part, as much as I can, but the having, well, it goes in a box and Swiss cheese for brains here forgets I have it. Nothing like digging out an old box and then remembering a relic. The last few years I have labeled each riker mount with the location of the stuff dug. I'd forget otherwise.

I still have the first relics I ever found. Two stemmed arrowheads, a colonial whistle in the shape of a chicken, a couple colonial tombac buttons, a few pipe stem pieces and a gun flint!

Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds, Congrats!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention, in the old, old days we could find half a dozen "USA" buttons in a day, or several Union buckles in a day, or 50 bullets in a day or more and on and on. Now we're hunting scraps and missed items. These two farms we have now are special because no one knew to look there, the history books had the troop locations off by a mile.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass thing reminds me of one of those old hand warmers. :dontknow:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hand warmer is possible. Maybe something to hold tobacco? There is a fair amount of stuff from 1890 to about 1920 on the site, with some scattered items like the Merc dime also.

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot to mention, in the old, old days we could find half a dozen "USA" buttons in a day, or several Union buckles in a day, or 50 bullets in a day or more and on and on. Now we're hunting scraps and missed items. These two farms we have now are special because no one knew to look there, the history books had the troop locations off by a mile.

Smokey, you are one cool cat. I know how you feel. Down here in Louisiana, the 1812 sites have either been ruined, in large part, by giant oil refineries. It's disgraceful.
Anyway, your stuff is really great. :)

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing once again Sir! Congratulations!!! The object in question could possibly be the β€œchimney” of a lighter or burner of some sort. Looks like a fancy or earlier version of old Zippo innards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread