OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
pgill said:
This spider is known as a Red Roman by us, it chases your shadow, bit scary as you think it is chasing you to bite you. I believe they do run their prey down to catch it. Not sure if it will bite us humans or not, or even if it could do any damage. When they run across the floor, they seem to stick out two legs in front of them... looks kinda funny to watch.

God bless
Peter

We called those Camel Spiders. I have seen those things eat lizards.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure Mental Granny, but we also get black widows and trap door spiders etc...... GL, yes you are very right they do eat lizaerds and even small birds, and they chase them down. We get them in our house sometimes and the way we see them is when they follow us around, very funny to watch...... I do try and catch them and put them in the garden where they belong :wink:

God bless
Peter

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once got bit on the side of the knee by a spider, and my knee came up twice the size. Had to go to the doctor, they used a blade to put a nick in the bite and get all the poison out. That knee was painful for a Month or more, I could barely walk on that leg at the beginning. The bite looks like a giant white head that you normally get on your chin, but is pretty hard and very imflamed. This bite happened while I was sleeping, so never felt it, but when I came to climb out of bed, I nearly fell over when I put pressure on the leg.

God bless
Peter

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizona residence:

Attachments

• tarantula 1.jpg
    tarantula 1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 237
  • tarantula 2.jpg
    tarantula 2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 247
  • tarantula 3.jpg
    tarantula 3.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 245
  • tarantula 4.jpg
    tarantula 4.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 248
  • tarantula 5.jpg
    tarantula 5.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 234

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mrs.oroblanco, in South Africa they sell Tarantulas as pets :tard: the kids keep them in small fish tanks with soil on the bottom and leaves and branches etc inside...... you also buy the food from the shops I think, but they are expensive to buy :thumbsup:

God bless
Peter

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peter we have alot of people here that have them as pets too! I remember kids bringing them to school and letting them crawl on them or whoever!

Thanks for the pics Mrs O great shots!

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GL that is one fantastic looking spider.... I love the red spots that are on them, makes them very attractive. Do you know what happens when you get bitten by them? is it death? and how long?

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
It is usually the old and the young who are affected the worst. I have heard it described as very painful and they won't kill you but they will make you sick enough to wish you were dead.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your video turned out great I cant stand black widows or brown recluse!

Attachments

• br2.jpg
    br2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 150
  • bite.jpg
    bite.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 183
  • brown_recluse-431x300.jpg
    brown_recluse-431x300.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 191

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was under the glass RIGHT ? I think that BW and the recluse/ fiddle back jump more and faster and farther than others do!

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
While living in SC i found my fair share of widows and all other types of spiders while out looking for snakes. Heres a few of the ones I found down there. The widow is the largest one I have ever found.

Attachments

• l_c205f01b2136d56b2533851496ccf878.jpg
    l_c205f01b2136d56b2533851496ccf878.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCI0095.jpg
    DSCI0095.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 169

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
We should start seeing our big 'Banana Spiders' spinning up webs soon. Some are as big as my hand. They bite but are not deadly. I'll get a pic as soon as I see one.

~Mike

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh that Recluse and the bite is very bad news..... it is amazing how such a small insect can do so much damage to us humans. What type of spider is that on the yellow flower? do we know?

God bless
Peter

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
I am not sure of his type,but it looks like a ambush hunter.It just kinda sits there a waits...
Here is a jumping spider with his meal...It was a good hunt..I watched him stalk this beetle.But could only get him enjoying his meal.
IMG_4239-1.jpg

I also seen this hatchling Anole,proly hunting Jumping spiders..lol...
IMG_4245.jpg

Thanks for looking friends...This turned out to be a AWSOME thred!...thankx....Geo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread