I have the History of Erie County, Samuel Bates Published 1884

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
I have this book and would be willing to share information from it if anyone is interested. Funny thing is, when I found this book it was not in Erie County at all , it was in a basement in a house in Crawford County. This book is huge around 3 inches thick and is complete aside from the maps which someone in the past has removed(bummer).

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call the book police...taking the maps out really sucks.

But...the history from 1884.....I can imagine what history it tells long before then.
I used to have a set of encyclopedias from 1880's with the world history. Man...i'll tell you...how distorted history is today from then.

I've personally been on a quest finding old history books from Allegheny and Pittsburgh.
Anything with architecture, people, places....all seem to hold some little treasure leads.

I'd like to find that old "County By County Map Guide of Pennsylvania" I used to have from back in the 70's I believe it was published.
It showed all kinds of ghost towns in Pa. I found some great detecting spots with that map book. Somewhere along my moving 3 times in the last 3 years, it got lost.
When the map was published, little towns showed on there, probably unverified as to their existence and it also showed all the old state route numbers...even for dirt roads.
Compairing it to more modern maps....those towns are no longer listed...because they were absorbed by other towns or the woods.

Erie's only a couple hour drive for some of us...less for others. I'm sure you'll get a few people interested in checking out that book.
Welcome to Tnet.
Al

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in taking a look at it. Where are you located? I'm in Corry.

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
I am in Lake City. There are several pages on Cory. I have not read the Cory section as yet but if there is anything you would like to know II would be happy to take a look.

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you send table of content's?,i'm in erie...heres a couple of my ledgers from erie,erie county! i would also share info.1st.is a ledger for Wayne school duplicate for yr.of 1848 2nd.1864-65 erie city bussiness directory 3rd.personal ledger of Lymann Jackson(import figure in girard area)first entry 1839 4th.city of erie sale of lot's&payment for "cutting"streets,advertising,etc.first entry 1838...

Attachments

• 2 542.jpg
    2 542.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 2 543.jpg
    2 543.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 2 544.jpg
    2 544.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 2 545.jpg
    2 545.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 2 547.jpg
    2 547.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 177

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:
Call the book police...taking the maps out really sucks.

But...the history from 1884.....I can imagine what history it tells long before then.
I used to have a set of encyclopedias from 1880's with the world history. Man...i'll tell you...how distorted history is today from then.

I've personally been on a quest finding old history books from Allegheny and Pittsburgh.
Anything with architecture, people, places....all seem to hold some little treasure leads.

I'd like to find that old "County By County Map Guide of Pennsylvania" I used to have from back in the 70's I believe it was published.
It showed all kinds of ghost towns in Pa. I found some great detecting spots with that map book. Somewhere along my moving 3 times in the last 3 years, it got lost.
When the map was published, little towns showed on there, probably unverified as to their existence and it also showed all the old state route numbers...even for dirt roads.
Compairing it to more modern maps....those towns are no longer listed...because they were absorbed by other towns or the woods.

Erie's only a couple hour drive for some of us...less for others. I'm sure you'll get a few people interested in checking out that book.
Welcome to Tnet.
Al
Have you ever seen this book? by the sounds of it you may already have it!

Attachments

• 2 596.jpg
    2 596.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 186

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread