I just had a great idea!

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250
I really need a better pinpointer but with all the money I have dished out on detectors lately, I can't seem to afford a good one.

If 53 people were to deposit 5.00 into my paypal account, then I could get one!!!!!!! Doesn't that sound like a wonderful idea on my part? You could be helping me out :laughing7: :hello2: :thumbsup: :headbang:

Let me know when you are going to send me the 5.00 and I will give you my paypal email :)

Ain't I funny????

OP
OP
lakillian

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250
No but really, what is a really good pin pointer for me to buy?

Thanks a bunch!

OP
OP
lakillian

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250
Wow, that is right in my price range! Thank you Goodguy! I will have to go check it out.

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
I agree with the Harbor Freight PP...

Now, I AM going to comment on the new avatar pic! DAYUM GIRL!

OP
OP
lakillian

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250
Why the tear? That is it I am going to change my avatar! Can't have my Nick crying!

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
I bought several from Harbor Freight, so I woiuldn't run out.They work great

OP
OP
lakillian

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250
barber said:

Do they have any depth on them or do they have to be right on the target?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lakillian said:
barber said:

Do they have any depth on them or do they have to be right on the target?

The sensitivity is adjustible and depth is 3 - 4 inches.

GG~

OP
OP
lakillian

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250
Wow, really? 3 -4 inches that is as good as the FX-1 or Detector Pro Uniprobe. I have a Vibra Probe but wanted something with more depth.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Mine (Centech) does about an inch or so. I think it detects off the sides near the bottom at least, too, as it has helped me find coins I turned on edge against the side of the hole. Technically I could get 3" in air test but it wasn't stable (drifted or whatever). HH, George (MN)

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Centech switch will get dirty very easily and quit working. I tape a thin but sturdy membrane over mine, like from household rubber glove material, to seal it. It beats taking it apart and cleaning the switch. Also switch wires are poorly soldered. If it stops working, that's the first thing to suspect.

Also I've had three of them. None have been able to detect farther than about an inch, and I know how to adjust them.

scrubber

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'll amend my statement a little. I went out to my garage and it detected the shop vice at about 3", but I routinely use it for small items, like coins. In the ground, I've always had to be very close to anything I've been after, to detect it.

scrubber

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I have used 4 Centech pinpointers and the max is 1".
That is with a heavy iron target.
This is a "Pin Pointer" not a general MD.
I love mine as it helps to scan the hole if I have missed target.
Just the bottom inch on the wand reacts.
Gosh, if it went 4"-6" I doin't consider that pinpointing.

I like the idea of the spendy ones giving louder/higher pitched noises the closer you get but cannot afford one yet.

Grey

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I re-tested my $15 cen-tech pinpointer once more and also tested my $99 Automax precision V4 pinpointer
I have to admit that my initial testing of the cen-tech where I came up with the 3-4 inch range was not by using a coin to test with. As has been stated on coins max is about 1" same thing with my Automax V4 1" on a coin.

Don't have a good reason why I did not use a coin in the first place other than being in a hurry and not thinking. I apologize for the misleading information.

However with that said both pinpointers would detect my car from a distance of 7" although I think I could have found it anyway. ;D

GG~

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
53 people X's $5.00 = $265. Sounds like a expense pin pointer or do you need a new Ace. I also agree on the Harbor Feight one.....Matt

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
53 people X's $5.00 = $265. Sounds like a expense pin pointer...

Agreed. Especially when you can get a new Garrett ProPointer in the $130 range. The Harbor Freight model isn't a bad deal for $15. I plan on picking up a couple to use for guests when I go out. But for the money you really can't beat the Garrett ProPointer. It is awesome! Well worth the money!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got the FX-1 from Sunray (excellent), the F-Point from Fisher (very good) and a Merlin SXL Pro (also very good).

The Sunray is by far the most expensive and, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Of the other two the Merlin is more sensitive and fancier, but the F-Point is waterproof and a better design, IMHO, for taking the dirt and field abuse.

A pinpointer that reaches 4" isn't a pinpointer! 2" is plenty IMHO. I can usually guess to within three inches by lifting my main coil and the pinpointer is just the "fine tuning" unce the plug is cut.

As far as a deposit to a PayPal account . . . YEAH, RIGHT! It's on my list of things to do right after I find that jar of double-eagles in a tree hollow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread