I just purchased a new DFX E-SERIES and I have a question

paulpond

Apr 10, 2008
Carbondale PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX E-SERIES
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a new DFX E-SERIES a few days ago...and I have a question.

Every coin I test doesn't show the correct icons when I sweep the search coil over them with the exception of nickels.

These are the icons that apear when I sweep the search coil over the coins that I've tested.

Nickel.........................5cent/ring
Copper Penny..............bottlecap
Roosevelt Dime............bottlecap
Silver Roosevelt Dime...bottlecap/1 cent
Plain Quarter...............1 cent/10 cent

My ?...is there a setting that I can adjust to get the icons to reflect the correct coins?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have MANY other options for ID'ing a target why only look for the Icon then? :icon_jokercolor:

Also what frequency your running on? (3 kHz or 15 kHz or both??) Changing them will also alter your target ID.

You might in the begging want to keep to presets programs. Read the manual much and look into the book "Digging deeper with the DFX" just a few extra tips.

Someone else might fill ya in more.

Cheers,
Eu :coffee2:

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul, What program are you using? The icons should be more accurate than that. Were you able to ground balance ok? Could you be picking up electrical (emi) interference?.

You might also ask for input at: www.dfxonly.com

OP
OP
P

paulpond

Apr 10, 2008
Carbondale PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX E-SERIES
Thanks Eu_citzen and Schrecky

I'm using the preset program for coins and I can ground balance fine.

I had a White's Eagle ll SL around 15 years ago...I loved that detector but had a house fire and lost it in the fire.

The icons where very correct on my White's Eagle ll SL...if I sweep over a Quarter it would show as a Quarter...if I sweep over a Penny it would show as a Penny...etc.

And I found a lot of great finds with it....now I'm just getting back into metal detecting after 15 years.

Myself I go more by the tones of the items in the ground than the icons...but I have a friend and my kids that I'm trying to get interested in detecting with myself...and before I received the detector I was bragging to them that the detector shows icons on the screen if it's a quarter, dime, penny etc.
Now I'm going to feel like an jurk when I go to show them how the detector works and I sweep over a dime or a copper penny and the icon shows as a bottlecap a quarter shows as a penny/dime etc.

I'm sure I'm going to love this detector also after I get used to it...and setup a program that I like...but I would sure like to get the icons to reflect the correct coins.

Thanks and God Bless
Paul

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try noting the icons, when you go detecting, of coins in the ground. I am curios of what they will be.

Ed D.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Paul go to the forum Schrecky suggested or/and the findmall.com forum which has a DFX classroom. :thumbsup:
I'm still waiting for my DFX. :-X :tongue3: :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Eu

OP
OP
P

paulpond

Apr 10, 2008
Carbondale PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX E-SERIES
Thanks Born2Dtect and Eu_citzen

The coins in the ground are showing the same...I've found some nickels, copper penny's and dimes and one quarter in my back yard and they showed up as the same icons...nickels are fine.

Nickel.........................5cent/ring - above and in ground
Copper Penny..............bottlecap - above and in ground
Roosevelt Dime............bottlecap - above and in ground
Silver Roosevelt Dime...bottlecap/1 cent
Plain Quarter...............1 cent/10 cent - above and in ground

God Bless
Paul

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t know if this will help but, My old Quattro manual stated that when you change ground conditions you rebalance. I noticed that if I did not the ID numbers and icons would be off compared to a freshly balanced find.

Ed d.

Sarge

Dec 21, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites XLT
As a suggestion I would turn the Icons off. They're kinda handy but I feel just using the VDI numbers is more accurate. The numbers that correspond to targets are found on the right side top of the detector. Besides having the Icons on will slow your whole display.

For instance nickles will show up at a VDI of 21.5, sometimes as low as 17 & as high as 24. Icons won;t give you that much resolution. As with all indicating detectors all those icons & VDI numbers are just a possibility as to what the actual target may be. Certain ground conditions & interference can throw your icons & VDI off.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sarge, Welcome and well said! :)

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
PAULPOND PLEASE TRY THIS AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT

TURN DFX ON.
SCROLL DOWN AND LOAD EEPROMS DP SILVER PROGRAM.
THEN SCROLL DOWN AND TURN MIXED MODE OFF!!!

IN MY OPPINION THIS IS THE ONLY SETTING THE DFX SHOULD BE IN.

YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFERENCE IN SOUND ON EACH COIN, HIGH PITCH IS GOOD, EXPERIMENT WITH THIS.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO BACK YOUR SENSITIVITY DOWN TO 69 IT WILL BE PRESET AT 75
IF ITS NOT CHATTERING DONT CHANGE SENSITIVITY!!

AIR TEST SOME COINS AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU LIKE IT. IM CURRIOUS TO SEE HOW THE SUPER 12
RESPONDS!!!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I haven't used that program yet, but I just purchased a super 12, and it works great.

Sniffer

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your icons should be more accurate than that.

Has anyone suggested a hard boot yet?

Turn on your DFX pick a program and ground balance. Then while the detector is on take the battery out and wait 20 seconds. Put the battery back in a try it again.

My DFX is very accurate with the icons.

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Hey Paul - I am no expert by any means but.........in the two years I have used the DFX I have come to learn a little bit. One of the things I learned was, if I leave the icons on I use them as the fourth indicator of what might be under the coil. I always run with tone ID turned on (indicator #1), I look to the VDI number on the screen while I'm still in motion mode (indicator #2), then I check the solidness (is that a word) of the signagraph line (indicator #3) and finally I glance at the icons. Another thing I like to do is make sure I have the DC phase set to on so I can see the VDI while I'm pinpointing, I find this to be the surest way to tell a nickel from a pulltab or shotgun shell base, when it's a nickle the VDI in pinpoint (non-motion) mode will always read between 34 and 36. Like I said I am no expert but I do learn something everytime out with my DFX. Hope this helps.

Dave

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope not tried it I prefer HI-Pro with 3Khz for coins and 15Khz for a larger coil and/or low conductive targets.
Best Data when searching for a little of everything.
With modulation off and VCO on. Also tweaked AC and Preamp to max of what it does allow.
Sweep Speed at 1 and recovery speed depends on how much trash.
Can open up disc to -60 or so for less falsing/blanking caused by iron near/next to the good targets.

Dave nice post! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread