I know the XLT is Good, but Dang...............

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a bit of time this evening so went by the local park, after a fairly successful hour or so I decided to head back to the car. Of course I was still swinging as I walked. Well I got a very very strong 89 which on the XLT is a 1/2 dollar. I was excited as I've only found 2 half dollars so far.

I dug the plug and there was a quarter staring at me from the hole. Needless to say I was a bit surprised that the XLT would be that far off. I picked up the quarter and there was another one below it along with a cent.

Have attached a pic of how it looked when I first saw it and how they look when separated. The 2 quarters are both 1999 Conn. coins and appear to have been there for a while.

I am just absolutely amazed that the XLT could find 2 quarters stacked one on top of the other and add them together and reflect 50 cents on the screen ;D (Tongue firmly planted in cheek) ::)

Attachments

• treasures 7-18.JPG
    treasures 7-18.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 825
Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Well, with the penny, it was only off by one cent. Thats a 2% margin of error! I'd call White's and complain.... ;)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yah but it was off by 1 cent close but no cigar---must be the "new" math---Ivan

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Been using an XLT for 10 years now and have never known it to be off by much. Between the graph and the numbers you can just about count on what its showing you is whats in the ground.
HH
Desertfox

wwva

Greenie
Jun 12, 2007
Collierville, TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Jeffro said:
Well, with the penny, it was only off by one cent. Thats a 2% margin of error! I'd call White's and complain.... ;)

Well......

Let's assume the XLT was purchased last year and inflation was 2% last year. So, adjusting the found 51 cents for inflation, the MD was right on the money. To me, that's one bad a$$ machine to automatically adjust for inflation.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwva said:
Jeffro said:

Well......

Let's assume the XLT was purchased last year and inflation was 2% last year. So, adjusting the found 51 cents for inflation, the MD was right on the money. To me, that's one bad a$$ machine to automatically adjust for inflation.

Actually it's an older Spectrum model. I was impressed that it could see 2 quarters stacked in the ground and perform a math function to report 2 quarters as a half dollar ::). I'll give it a break on the cent since it was at the bottom of the pile.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's a cash register not a metal detector, VDI...shmedeyi

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
What kind of reading are you going to get when you hit a cache? The meter doesn't go that high. I still can't believe it missed it by 1 cent. Must be a little out of calibration.

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!

My MXT has done the exact same thing...twice! Both events were at baseball fields. The MXT also gave me a $.50 reading in another hole w/ $.75 in the hole and, for the record, it has NEVER been wrong on a quarter signal...amazing detector!

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I have done the same thing 3 times now, with two quarters showing as a 50 cent piece on my DFX. Job well done! Just keep swinging! I'm headed to Rockaway Beach in Oregon for the next 11 days to volunteer at NW Christian Camp For The Deaf. If I am lucky, I'll get an hour or two to detect.
Spotz

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spotz said:
I have done the same thing 3 times now, with two quarters showing as a 50 cent piece on my DFX. Job well done! Just keep swinging! I'm headed to Rockaway Beach in Oregon for the next 11 days to volunteer at NW Christian Camp For The Deaf. If I am lucky, I'll get an hour or two to detect.
Spotz

Enjoy the camp and Rockaway. Last time I was there I hadn't started MD'ing again so I can't tell you much about it, but good luck

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So are you telling me that if DTW used a XLT instead of the Deleon it would have read in the $3.17 range. That is cool...lol.

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Turn off the "Round Down/Up" function. I found 3 pennies in one hole lastnight and my MD thought it was a nickel (I had my Rounding function button on) ;) ;) ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread