✅ SOLVED I know this is a loingshot, but does anybody recognize the marks on this spoon?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 8.09.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 8.09.01 PM.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Scan 28.jpeg
    Scan 28.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 83

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like teeth marks all over the hallmark. I don’t recognize them though, don’t look like mine or my wife’s. She has false ones and I only have 9.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like teeth marks all over the hallmark. I don’t recognize them though, don’t look like mine or my wife’s. She has false ones and I only have 9.

:laughing7: :occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Well.. I thought it might be a silver spoon, but after getting all the crud off, it looks like it is silver plate.
the handle says "BURCKHARDTHAUS" on it.

Attachments

• Scan 29.jpeg
    Scan 29.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 38F14022-56C7-475E-B14D-03DE17970DDD.jpeg
    38F14022-56C7-475E-B14D-03DE17970DDD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well.. the handle says "BURCKHARDTHAUS" on it.

Ha! A spoon stolen from a German Evangelical Training institute. That's pretty entertaining to me. Thx for the grin!

Oh, wait! Apparently, I'm not supposed to post anything that doesn't contribute directly to the ID... Sorry for wasting your time. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• NIKOCUTLERYNEWFig.9aBIS.jpg
    NIKOCUTLERYNEWFig.9aBIS.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 140
  • NIKOCUTLERYNEWFig.9bBIS.jpg
    NIKOCUTLERYNEWFig.9bBIS.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 141
  • NIKOCUTLERYNEWFig.9c.jpg
    NIKOCUTLERYNEWFig.9c.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha! A spoon stolen from a German Evangelical Training institute. That's pretty entertaining to me. Thx for the grin!

Oh, wait! Apparently, I'm not supposed to post anything that doesn't contribute directly to the ID... Sorry for wasting your time. :laughing7:

:laughing7: Now .. that is funny! :laughing7: I haven't even researched that yet! .. a German Evangelical Training institute ..lol :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I think @DCMATT may be on to something. I can't make out the marks on the back, but the way the front of the handle is marked is pretty unusual and of a utilitarian nature. Unless there was a hotel or restaurant in Germany/Austria/Switzerland that 'branded' its flatware, it is the kind of way that a residential institution might mark its items.

Burckhardthaus was a residential (and later distance-learning) training facility of the Evangelical Church in Germany for (mostly female and young) mission workers of Protestant churches and church institutions. It was founded in 1893 in Barmen in Germany by Johannes Burckhardt as the Evangelical Virgin Society of Germany, became the Evangelical Association for Female Youth in Germany in 1918, the Evangelical Reich Association of Female Youth in 1929 and had about 300,000 members by 1932. As the membership grew, they opened a separate club-house in Berlin-Dahlem which was named “Burckhardthaus” in memory of Johannes Burckhardt after his death in 1914.

Most of its missionary work, seminar gatherings and publishing activity were banned during WWII and the headquarters of Burckhardthaus then reopened in 1949 in the "white villa" in Gelnhausen. The division of Berlin and then the construction of the Berlin Wall resulted in there being two separately-operating arms of the organisation as Burckhardthaus-West and Burckhardthaus-Ost, with the latter establishing a new seminar centre in Lobetal and a headquarters in the Sophiengemeinde of East Berlin. The two arms of the Burckhardthaus struggled to re-integrate after the Berlin Wall came down and the subsequent re-unification of Germany. It ceased to exist when it was absorbed into the Federal Academy for Church and Diakonie in 2007.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, I think @DCMATT may be on to something. I can't make out the marks on the back, but the way the front of the handle is marked is pretty unusual and of a utilitarian nature. Unless there was a hotel or restaurant in Germany/Austria/Switzerland that 'branded' its flatware, it is the kind of way that a residential institution might mark its items.

Burckhardthaus was a residential (and later distance-learning) training facility of the Evangelical Church in Germany for (mostly female and young) mission workers of Protestant churches and church institutions. It was founded in 1893 in Barmen in Germany by Johannes Burckhardt as the Evangelical Virgin Society of Germany, became the Evangelical Association for Female Youth in Germany in 1918, the Evangelical Reich Association of Female Youth in 1929 and had about 300,000 members by 1932. As the membership grew, they opened a separate club-house in Berlin-Dahlem which was named “Burckhardthaus” in memory of Johannes Burckhardt after his death in 1914.

Most of its missionary work, seminar gatherings and publishing activity were banned during WWII and the headquarters of Burckhardthaus then reopened in 1949 in the "white villa" in Gelnhausen. The division of Berlin and then the construction of the Berlin Wall resulted in there being two separately-operating arms of the organisation as Burckhardthaus-West and Burckhardthaus-Ost, with the latter establishing a new seminar centre in Lobetal and a headquarters in the Sophiengemeinde of East Berlin. The two arms of the Burckhardthaus struggled to re-integrate after the Berlin Wall came down and the subsequent re-unification of Germany. It ceased to exist when it was absorbed into the Federal Academy for Church and Diakonie in 2007.

That's some interesting history! Thanks for posting that! Never know what the heck the next signal will bring!

Here are some new photos that show things a little more clearly.

Attachments

• burckhardthaus spoon.jpg
    burckhardthaus spoon.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 48
  • spoon handle marks.jpg
    spoon handle marks.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The maker's mark appears to me to be Berndorfer Metallwarenfabrik A. Krupp AG - Berndorf, Austria.

There are various forms for the bear which on worn items can be an indistinct blob, and various forms of wording around it, but it has similarity to this mark.

Krupp.jpg

Turning your pic through 90 degrees to the right, reading from about 10 o'clock, I believe I can see "ART. KRUP#######" as on some of Krupp's marks. My feeling is that the "Burckhardthaus" on the front has nothing to do with the maker and isn't a 'style' name but is a proprietary branding that relates to the using customer (be it a German religious organisation or something else).

Edit: @DCMATT beat me to it while I was fiddling around with pictures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The maker's mark appears to me to be Berndorfer Metallwarenfabrik A. Krupp AG - Berndorf, Austria.

There are various forms for the bear which on worn items can be an indistinct blob, and various forms of wording around it, but it has similarity to this mark.

View attachment 1798360

Turning your pic through 90 degrees to the right, reading from about 10 o'clock, I believe I can see "ART. KRUP#######" as on some of Krupp's marks. My feeling is that the "Burckhardthaus" on the front has nothing to do with the maker and isn't a 'style' name but is a proprietary branding that relates to the using customer (be it a German religious organisation or something else).

Edit: @DCMATT beat me to it while I was fiddling around with pictures.

That is some good stuff! Thanks Red Coat! I appreciate you guys!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Now, I just have to put the pieces together to try to determine the age of the spoons and figure out how it made it into the soils of Albemarle County, Virginia. Thanks again for everybody's help..I'll mark this on SOLVED!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's between 1893 (start of Burckhardthaus) and 1927 (end of Krupp using the hallmark). That's a pretty narrow date range for a relic spoon IMO.

Apparently, Krupp still makes flatware for hotels and restaurants.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread