fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a new desk top computer about 5 months ago with the Windows 10 operating system. Or should I say not operating system!:censored: Anyway I had to call tech support for the 4th time tonight because the system went haywire again. After spending almost two hours on the phone we finally got everything working again but I lost all my bookmarks for reference sites I used to identify relics found by myself and sometimes others. But, I always defer to the wisdom of the knowledgeable folks on this site.
Can Y'all post links to some of the sites you use? I did remember the Waterbury one but that is all.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
When looking to find out what an item is, I usually use the Images portion of the Bing search engine. I like how when you mouse over an image, the image gets a little larger.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When looking to find out what an item is, I usually use the Images portion of the Bing search engine. I like how when you mouse over an image, the image gets a little larger.

You lost me at bing! I use Firefox.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Bing - it's like google, only I like it better. However, my "main" search engine is duckduckgo.com, as they don't track your activity. ...Not that I've got anything to hide, but still. With the other search engines, every time you do a search for something, your ads reflect the things you searched for. That's just not right! However, I also have to use an adblocker as I have very limited data allowance. Blocking the ads almost triples my internet time!! Bing has some totally awesome images that used to be updated daily. I think they're now updating them every 12 hours or so.

Anyway, if you go to Bing, then click on the word "Images" just under the search box, it'll take you to the images search.

Ah, keep forgetting they do that. Bing is www . bing . com without the spaces.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I copied all of my bookmark URL's into a word document before I upgraded to Windows 10 Just in case. Saved that and all of my other files on a stick. Glad I did. They were all wiped out as well during the upgrade.
But, all I had to do was copy/paste into web , go to site and then bookmark again.
If you still have your old PC. try my process of copying each URL into a document and transfer to new computer. Good Luck

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
In the future, can also send your bookmarks to yourself via a yahoo email (or whatever service you may use). They "should" stay there unless you delete them. That way you can access them from anywhere in the world, should something ever go wrong.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I copied all of my bookmark URL's into a word document before I upgraded to Windows 10 Just in case. Saved that and all of my other files on a stick. Glad I did. They were all wiped out as well during the upgrade.
But, all I had to do was copy/paste into web , go to site and then bookmark again.
If you still have your old PC. try my process of copying each URL into a document and transfer to new computer. Good Luck

I no longer have the old PC and even if I did I wouldn't know how to do what you suggest without being shown a time or twenty!:dontknow::laughing7:

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the future, can also send your bookmarks to yourself via a yahoo email (or whatever service you may use). They "should" stay there unless you delete them. That way you can access them from anywhere in the world, should something ever go wrong.

I will try that if and when I get a good list to use. I will also try the Bing thing.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the email approach as the major free email providers are pretty secure as far as not "losing" your emails.

You can also save your bookmarks in a Word or Notepad file and keep adding to the file as your Bookmarks grow. Can then copy them to a flash drive or, again, email them to yourself. Mail a copy to the wife or to your work email. The more times, the more protected against loss.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I save links to email then I copy them as a doc and save them onto two external drives stored in two different locations. I found I can recover almost all my links if/when things break or get lost as long as I update it. This also gives you redundancy in case you lose the email access for whatever reason. The Chrome browser also saves your bookmarks across several devices so when you get a new computer or phone they are still available once you sign in. If your paranoid about your IP you can use sites that hide your IP like "hide.IP". Google isn't the greatest company sometimes but their search engine doesn't have any competition imo when you try and do a comparative search in Bing or others. Bing searches usually get me nowhere close to what I was trying to find haha and I can't stand to use anything but the Google engine until something else comes along.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, all good ideas even though I don't know what some of them are but, I have to get some bookmarks before I can save them and that was the original purpose of this thread. I had several different button websites as well as many civil war and earlier relic ones. I reckon I will do it the hard way and start searching the web. Once I see the sites I will remember them.

beep beep dig

Aug 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you use Chrome and are logged into your Google account, your bookmarks are automatically saved and accessible from any computer you log in to.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you use Chrome and are logged into your Google account, your bookmarks are automatically saved and accessible from any computer you log in to.

I use Firefox. The tech had to do something (I am not sure what) that basically made me start over like it was a new computer. She was able to save my pictures for me but I forgot to tell her about all the bookmarks. I just thought of something. I have a laptop running windows 7 and I use Firefox there as well. I will check it and see if the bookmarks are there.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Any of the bookmarks that you used on the laptop will still be there.

I don't know if you know how to save or backup your bookmarks as a whole, but there are a couple of ways to save bookmarks 1 at a time into a text file. You can either click on the link to open the page, then copy the URL, or you can right-click on the link and choose COPY, instead of actually opening up the page, Then move to your text file (Notepad, Word, etc.) and paste the URL. When done, save the text file to your PC, then email the text file to yourself.

I'm not going to attempt to give instruction on how to save the whole list all at once because I don't know how to explain how to send you to the file it would create.

Also, you could always do a web search for this phrase: "how do I save bookmarks in firefox?"

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this would work ------but-------If you remember sending a joke or something to a bunch of people ask one of them to forward back to you and maybe you can save them to your email site.:dontknow:
Marvin

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if this would work ------but-------If you remember sending a joke or something to a bunch of people ask one of them to forward back to you and maybe you can save them to your email site.:dontknow:
Marvin
Oh, I get it. You mean email addresses.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually any bookmarks you place are saved on your hard drive somewhere under your personal documents. Windows 7 for example there is a system folder under favorites/desktop/myname/favorites that contains all of my bookmarks. Even if you use a different browser it can access these favorites.

I dont have Windows 10 but I cant imagine it uses a different file system or has erased this folder. You just need to find it on your hard drive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I actually figured out how to do it! When I turned my computer on this morning I noticed log ins for the new user profile and the old one. Then I remembered that the tech said something about keeping the old user on my computer for a few months to make sure everything worked, So, I logged onto the old user, went to Firefox and opened my bookmarks. Then, I wrote them down, logged out and back in as the new user. Then, I typed in the bookmarks and saved them. I couldn't e-mail them to myself because the e-mail program on the old user wouldn't work.
But, I do have a hard copy of them for future reference and the way Windows 10 is going I will need them.
I also think it would be a good idea to start a thread here with them and let others add to it. That would give us a broad data base to draw from when trying to identify our finds.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got them back. I don't use Forefox, but I will bet you that there is some kind of an import function to pull your favorites over from your other user
files so you wouldn't have to hand enter them. Would be good,to know in case it ever happens again.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got them back. I don't use Forefox, but I will bet you that there is some kind of an import function to pull your favorites over from your other user
files so you wouldn't have to hand enter them. Would be good,to know in case it ever happens again.
If there is a way it is beyond my computer know how. The old user profile was damaged to the point that the tech had to install a new one. So, I think it is like having two computers in one but they won't "talk" to each other, if you get my drift,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread