i LOVE hand rolled halves!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I went to the banks today to pick up my third group of 10 boxes of halves. I ordered 40 over 4 weeks, and then I"ll stop again for a while. My first ten were skunks. My next 10 had 3 silvers total. Never much here, which is why I order a bunch and then go back to pennies for months at a time. BUT, when I picked up my third batch today, one bank had 2 hand rolls of halves. So I bought those too. Gave her $520 instead of only $500.

Of the 40 coins in the two hand rolls, there were THIRTY ONE silvers. :-) Only 2 were 1964, and no 1970's but still it was WONDERFUL. 31 new silvers to add to the yearly total!

I opened that box of halves, to see if the streak would continue, but it was a skunk. So far I am 3 skunks of 3 opened on the third 10. So no silver in 3 boxes ... but 31 in two ROLLS!

I ALWAYS pick up the rolls of halves, whether I am buying boxes of halves, boxes of pennies, or just gathering their hand rolled coins in general (I go into some banks and take all their hand rolled. Pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters. take it all. I've had good success with that, including a roll of solid Ben's last year from one bank; 1 roll of solid silver quarters and 14 rolls of solid silver dimes (Came with the quarters) from another bank, and 8 rolls of "nothing newer than 1950" nickels, including numerous war nickels from a third totally different bank. So buying the hand rolled ANYTHING is a good thing to do when you can.

This find moves me up from about 30 or so silver halves for the year to about 60 for the year. A great move for me out here. :-D

If only my boxes wer so good! LOLOL.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice little stash to add to the pile. Seems like lots of dismal results with boxes here in the last couple months.....depletion of supply maybe due to enhanced competition. Only sure thing is to intercept the new supply, in the form of hand rolls. Congrats. ffd

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Congrats that is a damn nice score for 2 rolls that is a great score anyday .... you certainly deserve some keepers that for sure with the struggles that u have with skunks boxes , Ed

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST
That is awesome. I bet you don't get 31 silver out of 40 boxes!! You were at the right place at the right time. Perseverance, patience, and relationships pay off in this hobby... :icon_thumleft:

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Hand rolls can sure give up some nice finds! :icon_thumright:
Maine_Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jrf30 said:
4 rolls of solid silver quarters and 70 rolls of solid silver dimes

Is that a typo? I seem to recall you had a nice score on dimes last year, but 70 rolls?

That's $3500 at 10x face. Truly a Dream come true......

Mojo

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
coinmojo said:
jrf30 said:
4 rolls of solid silver quarters and 70 rolls of solid silver dimes

Is that a typo? I seem to recall you had a nice score on dimes last year, but 70 rolls?

That's $3500 at 10x face. Truly a Dream come true......

Mojo

LOLOL. Yes, that is a typo. My bad! It was $70 of silver dimes, not 70 rolls of silver dimes.

Good catch on that!

That would be 14 rolls, which is still amazing to me, but not 70 rolls. (oops)

I"ll go back and change the original post to reflect that.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jrf30 said:
LOLOL. Yes, that is a typo. My bad! It was $70 of silver dimes, not 70 rolls of silver dimes.

Good catch on that!

That would be 14 rolls, which is still amazing to me, but not 70 rolls. (oops)

I"ll go back and change the original post to reflect that.

14 rolls is still phenomenal...... WOW

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread