this weeks 20 boxes

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
produced 6 40% halves and that is it. i don't know how much longer i can do these large volumes for such little results. my main dump bank is still giving me problems every week. i now have to purchase the plastic bags from them at 60.00 per case and they now charge me 3.00 per bag to dump. also this week for some reason 7 of the 20 boxes were short anywhere from 1.50-3.00. so with these meager finds i am really going in the hole. not to mention the 40.00 per month i pay on the interest fees and insurance i pay on the loan that i took out to coin roll junt with. then all the work involved picking up and dumping.........just don't seem worth it

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
SC,

With all those costs you might wind up losing money over time. The interest on the money is the worst part.

Hopefully your finds will improve. Your Brinks boxes sound better than the others. Maybe you can order more Brinks boxes and less of the other?

Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
silvercop said:
produced 6 40% halves and that is it. i don't know how much longer i can do these large volumes for such little results. my main dump bank is still giving me problems every week. i now have to purchase the plastic bags from them at 60.00 per case and they now charge me 3.00 per bag to dump. also this week for some reason 7 of the 20 boxes were short anywhere from 1.50-3.00. so with these meager finds i am really going in the hole. not to mention the 40.00 per month i pay on the interest fees and insurance i pay on the loan that i took out to coin roll junt with. then all the work involved picking up and dumping.........just don't seem worth it

Here is what I would do. Keep doing the four boxes a week, and pick up another four at another bank. Take the remainder of your search money and buy gold. Sell your accumulated silver and buy more gold.
Sunday if I have time I'll post an essay on why I would now dump the silver and buy gold.
HH
Rich

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Rich Hartford said:
silvercop said:

Sell your accumulated silver and buy more gold. Sunday if I have time I'll post an essay on why I would now dump the silver and buy gold.
HH
Rich

Is this a deflation vs. inflation based theory RH?

Jim

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
hey jim i wish i could get some more brinks boxes, but the bank that orders them for me acts like it is a pain to do the 4 a week for me. i am really afraid to push it since i might lose the 4 i do get. the loomis boxes were great for a long time. i really don't know what happened to them. this month is going to be the worst on record for me ever since i started keeping monthly totals 16 months ago.
rich i have already traded some of my silver for gold. thinking about trading another box of 40's if i can get the same deal as last time. i think i am beginning to see the beginning of the end of the silver supply in my area.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Yes, I'm seriously discussing the idea of cutting way back too, we have done 52 Boxes sos far this month on track for another 26 this month with very little to show for it- though we have been able to shuffle around the ones that want to charge fees, so far; it just is not so exciting to do when the Boxes are coming up so poorly for sooo long Dec 28th was last decent Box and one modest one in Jan the rest have been turn offs. And the Marked coins are everywhere.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suggest you mark some or most of the coins. Due to the high volume you do I think you are getting your own coins back. Try it. It is not bad to mark coins. We sell them to smelters and they destroy them. So there is nothing wrong in marking them. But this is just my advice and other CRHunters can disagree and it is OK.

Darth Walker

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC, I agree. I would give up on the Loomis boxes. The last 10-12 I have gotten are crap. If you are getting some from Brinks, try to find another supplier of Brinks and order more through them. I will agree, this month has been awful. I still hear of scores of silver but its mostly Brinks.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i just can't figure out the brinks thing. i dump on brinks and have been getting great boxes from brinks for about 3 months now :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
AGCoinHunter said:
SC, I agree. I would give up on the Loomis boxes. The last 10-12 I have gotten are crap. If you are getting some from Brinks, try to find another supplier of Brinks and order more through them. I will agree, this month has been awful. I still hear of scores of silver but its mostly Brinks.
Oh I hope your right, been outa town have not gotten my Brinks Boxes in 3 weeks but 2sday will dip my fingers in 6 of them- am dreaming of a dream Box too!

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
We all know persistence is the key. Sounds like your getting burned out on 20 a week. I would cut it down to 10. When you hit another vein order more and ride it out. I agree losing money is not good. But I think we both know you've made your money back and more in the past year. Just got to ride it out.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
jim4silver said:
Rich Hartford said:
silvercop said:

Sell your accumulated silver and buy more gold. Sunday if I have time I'll post an essay on why I would now dump the silver and buy gold.
HH
Rich

Is this a deflation vs. inflation based theory RH?

Jim

Jim,
I read a lot, and don't watch TV. I keep on top of things.I'm no expert but I am aquainted with quite a few very wealthy individuals and get their take on the economy and what they are doing to protect their assets.
Rich

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I would scale back and sell off enough to pay off the debt, that way your hunting $$$ is all yours. I sold something dear to ME right after I started that grubstaked my move into the big leagues. Looking forward to Rich's essay too as I got a couple gold pieces headin for the auction block, maybe he can convince ME to keep them.
Been a bad month here as well, other day I got 4 oz out of 6 boxes that brought my average up to one oz/ day for this month- thats from about 35 boxes a week. Last month my overall average was 3.5 oz/ day, so hoping this is just a slump and will turn around soon. HH Mark

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
silvercop said:
hey jim i wish i could get some more brinks boxes, but the bank that orders them for me acts like it is a pain to do the 4 a week for me. i am really afraid to push it since i might lose the 4 i do get. the loomis boxes were great for a long time. i really don't know what happened to them. this month is going to be the worst on record for me ever since i started keeping monthly totals 16 months ago.
rich i have already traded some of my silver for gold. thinking about trading another box of 40's if i can get the same deal as last time. i think i am beginning to see the beginning of the end of the silver supply in my area.
It's not just in your area but nationwide. Even the Canadians who were pulling silver quarters left and right got zilch this winter.
Rich

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Sadly, it seems like it may be time to either take a rest or switch denominations. Maybe nickels or dimes. It may be fun you never know. The only issue is the dump bank giving you a hard time.

golden silver

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i did a good sample of dimes a few weeks back and they produce worse. only about 1 per box. i would have to do about 100 boxes at that rate and then time and dumping becomes a problem. one good thing though is my dump bank does not complain that much about dimes and i run them through the counter, but if i brought in 100 boxes of dimes and dumped i bet they would cut me off of the counter again.
have not tried nickels. just thought the war ones would be really hard to find?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
SC, Not just the silver is worth money though. And they can be fun. You have buffalos and V nickels, Proofs. Silver war nickels are not that hard to find and they may be the last denomination that is plentiful in your area. I would try em. I would also keep anything 1950 and older especially if it is in good shape. And you could still hit hand rolls of halves every once and a while.

Golden Silver

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
I have a feeling the unemployed are swelling our ranks. We are also facing endless newspaper full page adds from the gold and silver guys. Only so much to go around. We have overpopulation and a lot of people doing a lot of volume that has become a churning bunch of junk for the most part. It's been quite a ride, just more competition. Time for a break.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Wow, if 50centman is taking a break from 50 cent searchin' tough times are upon us for sure. Nice to hear from you. You have been gone for a while. Hate to hear you stepping away.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread