🥇 BANNER I LOVE THIS HOBBY.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I have only been at this for a little over a year and a half but I have been incredibly fortunate to be able to find some amazing old coins and some really nice jewelry while at the same time meeting some interesting and genuinely good people. I am also a big history buff and I love researching my finds. I have been working a 350+-year-old farm field that I was fortunate enough to get permission on- for about a month now. I have found some cool buckles and a few World War II era coins ('43 Merc, some wheats, etc) but what I've been really hopeful for is my first LC. So this past Sunday I got to the field at around 7 AM with my AT Pro. I was running in Pro zero mode with iron disc at 35 and wide-open- just listening for repeating mid and high tones. It's common for me to make my best finds of the day either in the first 20 minutes or my last 20 minutes of the hunt and this day was no exception. Only 15 minutes after I started sweeping the coil I got a solid silver dime hit at about 4 inches. As I dug the hole I was excited about the possibility of finding another Merc or maybe even a Barber. When I pinpointed the target it was an odd shape and bigger than a dime. It was also very thin. When I held it up to the sunlight I immediately recognized the Pinetree- then flipped it over to see "1652 XII." At that time I dropped to my knees and realized that I had a once-in-a-lifetime find- a colonial Massachusetts Pine Tree Shilling! Someone dropped this coin in this field a century before the Declaration of Independence! I will be going back to the farm again soon but I doubt that I will ever top this amazing piece of our history. I have already rinsed it off and put it in my son's collection where it has now taken over as the centerpiece. I wish you all the same luck that I had this past Sunday on your next hunt. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• image-952613132.jpg
    image-952613132.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 948
  • image-3673674407.jpg
    image-3673674407.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 876
  • image-1973235100.jpg
    image-1973235100.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 766
Upvote 85

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, where is mine ?? just kidding (but not really, I'm in a good spot for re=plated loyalists, and very optimistick !!).
In any case my friend, please use better titles to your threads, as I almost missed this one because of the Title.

As an example I never click on "best day at the park", or other generic type titles, etc.. So for future reference if you want max. exposure I'd suggest a title that represents your finds. Like "SILVER TREE COIN FOUND" (or something to that effect).
That aside...awesome find. Hard to believe how much stuff is still in the ground for us to find.
Congrats to you...I don't know a thing about the exact variety, but others here will. Keep digging.
Good luck out there.
Rick

Last edited:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see...only a year and a half in the hobby and you unearth something this spectacular? I couldn't be happier for you!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that is once in a lifetime find...We can all attest to you saying your best finds are usually 20 minutes in or 20 minutes left...I think my hunt would've ended early too with a find like that...Congrats

OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I am in New England FYI. Will post again if that old field gives up any more goodies this weekend.

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! I have seen several Banner finds on here from Gold to whatever. but, this find is without a doubt of the best I have ever seen, Congrats.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I am in New England FYI. Will post again if that old field gives up any more goodies this weekend.
I bet it wil Mg G. I bet it will.
No need ti give away youry hot spot, but at least a state is cool...us...dreamers...OK...and thanks.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting ! there sure are allot of them being found lately :icon_thumleft:

Can you get some more pics ? picture looks Black & White.
I would like to see some color :tongue3:

nice find

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW ! Such a beautiful coin, good for you, congrats!

gimper

Jul 25, 2013
Illinois far from Chicago
Detector(s) used
CZ-6, White's Eagle 1(both broken) Compass X-100 and no pen to point (why waste batteries)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with all that has been said,included with the Banner word. Special , special, find in very good dug condition.It will take you a lifetime to surpass this!!! But thats the best
part of the party!!!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oxbowbarefoot is correct, what you have is a Noe 1 Pine Tree Shilling. Sydney Noe wrote the work on Pine Tree shillings and was published by the ANS as Numismatic Notes and Monographs #125. It was published in 1952. He also wrote the works on the other Mass silver coinage. What's interesting about your find is how clipped it is. The standard weight of a Mass shilling is 72 grains. Your piece looks like it's been clipped down to about 50 grains. It was a common practice at the time to clip to edges to steal some of the silver as well as cut them in pieces to make change. One last thing, although dated 1652 it was probably made in the late 1680's and still dated 1652 to circumvent a British law that went into effect in 1653 that outlawed the colonies from making their own coinage. Way to go. Truly a great find!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Thanks again, all. I will try to post more pix later on. I found this coin in Massachusetts. Thank you for your banner votes.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Oxbowbarefoot is correct, what you have is a Noe 1 Pine Tree Shilling. Sydney Noe wrote the work on Pine Tree shillings and was published by the ANS as Numismatic Notes and Monographs #125. It was published in 1952. He also wrote the works on the other Mass silver coinage. What's interesting about your find is how clipped it is. The standard weight of a Mass shilling is 72 grains. Your piece looks like it's been clipped down to about 50 grains. It was a common practice at the time to clip to edges to steal some of the silver as well as cut them in pieces to make change. One last thing, although dated 1652 it was probably made in the late 1680's and still dated 1652 to circumvent a British law that went into effect in 1653 that outlawed the colonies from making their own coinage. Way to go. Truly a great find!

It was rather carefully clipped, not as crude as some of the clips I've seen on these. It must have been clipped early in its life as it's details are still crisp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread