I made my decision and bought a Sovereign GT

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
After months of deliberation and talking to people on this forum and others, I went to my local dealer to see what other people were using here in San diego. Frank is a hands own dealer with 30 years experience and he keeps a display of his finds in his show room. He recommended the Sovereign and let me hold one in my hands as he went through how it works. Man the machine felt like part of me as soon as I touched it I knew this is the one. I bought it on Saturday took it home and read the manual several times. I took it to the beach and a local park on Sunday. I didn't find much but was not really trying as I just wanted to get the feel. The GT is super sensitive. It kept detecting my scoop which I carry in my left hand, evert tune the coil came near it. I never had that happen with my other detectors. I guess I will have to figure out a new way to carry my sand scoop. I did manage to find 48 cents on the first hunt. I went out again yesterday and found 2 quarters 2 dimes 2 nickels and 20 pennies. I also found a silver St Michael chain and medallion. I can see that I will have alot of fun with the GT, but I know it will take me some time to learn how to use it properly. Anyway just wanted to drop a line and say hello. HH Ted.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Congrats on the new machine and sounds like you are getting used to it already! You are right, Frank is a great guy, glad you got in to see him and got the help you needed. He will be a great resource to you as well. Keep swingin the machine and getting more familiar with it, you will find some awesome goodies, I know it! Happy Hunting!

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
I bought a GT a few months back. I didnt buy a meter with it and I enjoy just being able to listen to the sounds without having to look at the meter. Found some really nice coins with it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Sov GT's, one is waterproofed for use in the surf. I think your going to really enjoy it. Yes it is sensitive, and it will detect your scoop, and it will also detect your steel toes shoes so if your target keeps moving when you go to dig it up well..............................

I don't know how you like to hunt, but my settings are I turn my volume up all the way, set threshold so it is like a small mosquito in my ear, set my sense anywhere from auto to 11-3 on the dial depending on conditions until it is stable. I use no notch and no disc.

Something else you can try to get more depth is to hunt in all metal mode, and when you get a signal, switch it back to disc to see what your response is.

If you like to hunt the beach, give serious consideration to getting a WOT coil, the combination of the Sovereign and WOT coil is a killer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions