I might have to rent a detector, need help please

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither I nor my 2 buddies own a md. I did find a place locally that rents them at a reasonable price though. They rent Garrett Ace 250's. So I've been watching video's of the Garrett Ace 250 on youtube.
We can rent it for a week and get in some really good MD'ing training hours. I want try to describe the area we would be prospecting in, and maybe you can give me an idea of the best settings for gold?

In the mountains in BC, Canada. (fairly secluded, one road)
There are steep hills on both sides with a creek running down the middle. (no real space for camping)
I am told it is highly mineralised. (probably lot's of hot rocks)
Small flour gold (probably not many nuggets, if at all)

There's the road running through it, so I imagine we'll detect beer cans, foil and stuff, close to the road (within throwing distance).
There is hunting in the area, so we'll probably get some shells too. But besides that, I don't think any human has been there in decades.
Here is my uneducated guess at the settings:
Sensitivity set to 3 or 4?
Set on all iron mode?
And DIG EVERYTHING...lol.
I was sort of hoping that the metal detector would hit on the minerals surrounding and/or attached to the gold.
Thank you for helping.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Garrett Ace 250 for flour gold and pickers is useless. Sorry.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the detector will not pick up flour gold or small pickers, it might be able to pick up lead bullets that end up in crevices and other spots where gold also collects. I would not bet on it but it might be fun just to see what all is out there. You never know what you will find.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know your right Terry Soloman, it won't pick up small gold. I was hoping it would indicate high oxidation areas, iron and stuff.
Worse comes to worse, there's an old trappers cabin about 5 miles away, I'll go relic hunting and get in some MD practice.
Thanks for your help.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know if it makes you happy go for it, its what the hobby is about having fun, dont forget in all ur excitment now ull need a decent hand trowel,pethaps a bigger shovel, trash/finds pouch to & should if this is something you think ur gonna want to do see if you can also rent a pinpointer, it will help you alot

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks christo000, it's like you really know me...lol. I always get excited and forget something, just like you said. I still haven't given up on a Garrett AT Gold before spring thaw. And your idea of a pinpointer is pivotal to my MD master plan. Wanna hear it? TOUGH, here it is anyways...lol.
Since there are 3 of us and only 1 MD, we'll set up our grid pattern and 1 of us starts detecting. When he gets a hit, he drops a marker and gives the info to the other 2 with the pinpointer, then he keeps going. The 2 on point, dig and identify (but leave the marker). We trade off every hour or so, that way we all learn MD'ing.
At the end of the day, we can discuss our finds over a cold beer and some smoked salmon (Indian candy). We can also take a good look at our markers, to see if they form any kind of a pattern or path.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a nice plan buddy best of luck

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Your Welcome.

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
sounds like a decent plan

However I think u very well be able to increase the sensivity well beyond 3 blocks and not lose stability. I dont know what the rent for a week is ,but u may wish to compare it to buying, If it doesn't work out u'll get most of the cost back by sellin it. One just never knows what's there until they search--- Good luck & let us know how it went.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True there to you check out Ebay pending on what ur budget is you can get good mid level machines at low cost I mean i was just in there & theres a whites m6 about to be sold for $180 to me thats a crazy good price it would provide you with a great start point for years to come

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was gold then there were settlements for camping or cabins.
That would also be a place to find interesting things besides Gold.
I used my 350 at 1850 Copper Mining settlements that were long abandoned with great success last Summer.
At these locations nice sized float copper can be found in the mine tailings.
One hunter showed me a 40 pound chunk of copper he dug up the day before.
Using a detector was a great improvement in locating "treasure".
If you hit the right spot never know what you can find.
GOOD luck and have fun!

The fun is in the hunt, not always in the treasure found!

Last edited:

Radiotech

Dec 30, 2013
Shuswap
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO /GTI 2500/ PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither I nor my 2 buddies own a md. I did find a place locally that rents them at a reasonable price though. They rent Garrett Ace 250's. So I've been watching video's of the Garrett Ace 250 on youtube.
We can rent it for a week and get in some really good MD'ing training hours. I want try to describe the area we would be prospecting in, and maybe you can give me an idea of the best settings for gold?

In the mountains in BC, Canada. (fairly secluded, one road)
There are steep hills on both sides with a creek running down the middle. (no real space for camping)
I am told it is highly mineralised. (probably lot's of hot rocks)
Small flour gold (probably not many nuggets, if at all)

There's the road running through it, so I imagine we'll detect beer cans, foil and stuff, close to the road (within throwing distance).
There is hunting in the area, so we'll probably get some shells too. But besides that, I don't think any human has been there in decades.
Here is my uneducated guess at the settings:
Sensitivity set to 3 or 4?
Set on all iron mode?
And DIG EVERYTHING...lol.
I was sort of hoping that the metal detector would hit on the minerals surrounding and/or attached to the gold.
Thank you for helping.

where are you located at

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread