Winding coil cord on shaft

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Running the coil wire straight up the shaft 6 to 8 inches and then start winding...Does this really make a noticeable difference? What does it affect? Depth, separation, interference from the cord itself? I see some experienced people (on YouTube mostly) practice this and some don't. Just wondering what TNet peeps do and their thoughts behind it. Thanks for the education.

Last edited:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of folks, including myself have found that running the cable straight up and tight to the shaft for maybe a foot will help stop the detector from giving phantom signals, (falsing...signals that won't repeat on subsequent coil passes). Some detectors suffer this more than others, and some detectors will false signal more frequently when the sensitivity is turned up high. This is the case with detectors I have used, so why not? No evidence that it hurts, and may make the use of higher sensitivity possible...Good luck in 2014!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do it. Don't have any problems with falsing. I use cable ties or Ty-raps on mine.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it also on my pro. I went straight up till just under cam lock and used electrical tape then coiled it up shaft from there. I use sens on my detector at full most of the time in the fields and this seems to help with false signals. Can't hurt to try it.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same myself on all my machines with cables to me i think it helps EMI,falsing

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some do some dont.....personally i start wrapping right above coil and leave just enough slack as to not put stress on connectors at either end. I have no problems with falsing unless it is a corn field with high stuble. Then when you bump the stuble you may get a chirp, but i dont think you will eliminate this.....just my 2 cents.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I tape my ACE 250 wire straight along the side of the shaft about 8 inches up and then start winding the coil wire. I tape the entire wire all the way up. I don't want any loose wire to snag or get caught up on a branch or twig. I've had it like this for three yrs. still get a false once in a while but the aces are like that. No where near the falling I used to get when my wire was just wound normal.

image-1991507817.jpg

Attachments

• image-3668896813.jpg
    image-3668896813.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 303

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tape my ACE 250 wire straight along the side of the shaft about 8 inches up and then start winding the coil wire. I tape the entire wire all the way up. I don't want any loose wire to snag or get caught up on a branch or twig. I've had it like this for three yrs. still get a false once in a while but the aces are like that. No where near the falling I used to get when my wire was just wound normal.

View attachment 941856

No quick coil change there.:laughing7:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do it. Don't have any problems with falsing. I use cable ties or Ty-raps on mine.

I should probably go with cable ties. I opted for duct tape because it went better with my worn out red wings and rusty pick up truck, (delightfully tacky, yet unrefined).

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should probably go with cable ties. I opted for duct tape because it went better with my worn out red wings and rusty pick up truck, (delightfully tacky, yet unrefined).

Lol. Whatever works my friend! I have the same Red Wings and rusty pick up that I use every day. In fact I just had to buy a new pair because of the holes in the toes were freezing my feet :)

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Loose coil cable may cause a bit of trouble but probably not. It dont matter if you spiral it or run it straight, just make sure it aint wagglin in the wind down near the coil. EMF cannot possibly affect a coil cable, no matter how you run it up the stick, because coil wires are electrically shielded against any RF. But, the coil cable itself can and will be detected by the coil. Straight up or spiral wrapped Just make sure you leave enough cable to take the full range of motion adjusting the coil so you dont mash your cable's strain relief.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep all that wound up cable (metal) way up away from your coil. You'll get better depth and sensitivity.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loose coil cable may cause a bit of trouble but probably not. It dont matter if you spiral it or run it straight, just make sure it aint wagglin in the wind down near the coil. EMF cannot possibly affect a coil cable, no matter how you run it up the stick, because coil wires are electrically shielded against any RF.
so are some buried electric cables usually secondaries (lower voltage) run your detector over some insulated wire sometime and it won't go off. I have about 300 feet of underground rated triplex cable spooled up in barn and detector won't detect the insulated cables. So don't stab the shovel into the ground to hard in those residential areas that don't have pole lines but have pad mount transformers and sectionalizers because all the service and primary cables are buried. Sry to get off topic just a friendly safety warning.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also like to add that buried phone lines are very shallow and are dc current. There is a potential for them to have up to 50 volts of dc voltage on them. If there is any current on buried power cables and phone your detector should sound off and possibly go very crazy. Be careful out there and good luck.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
so are some buried electric cables usually secondaries (lower voltage) run your detector over some insulated wire sometime and it won't go off. I have about 300 feet of underground rated triplex cable spooled up in barn and detector won't detect the insulated cables. So don't stab the shovel into the ground to hard in those residential areas that don't have pole lines but have pad mount transformers and sectionalizers because all the service and primary cables are buried. Sry to get off topic just a friendly safety warning.

If the cable is metal it will be easily detected by anything that detects metal. If your metal detector is not picking up heavy triplex cable then something is most dreadfully wrong with the tecter.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the cable is metal it will be easily detected by anything that detects metal. If your metal detector is not picking up heavy triplex cable then something is most dreadfully wrong with the tecter.
i understand that I'm saying this cable is heavily insulated and I've run two diff detectors over it and it doesn't pick it up and will pick up the neutral but not the two other phases. I can run my detector over regular triplex and it will pick it up and sound off in the high conductor range. I can cut ya off a section and send to you. There is nothing wrong with my detector lol

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you gave me something to do tomorrow I'm going to take detector out to barn and do this again it has been a while since I did it and can't remember if I had any disc on but pretty sure I didn't. I'll video with my phone and post. I'm excited to have a reason to fire up the detector now so much snow around here rite now.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't make it out to barn today will try tomorrow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread