I nailed it!!!!!!!!!!! Colonial dig with colonial silver!!!!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(disclaimer...the stool that everyone likes is doing well, I am simply out of town he he he)

While visiting my family where I grew up (NC) my dad and I were able to get out to some old stomping grounds to hunt for a half day. We spent time wandering through a thicket of coastal NC yucca, mosquitoes, briers, and pine forests as we revisited and explored coastal NC water front property.

I do always enjoy getting back to some of our old sites to see what new tricks can produce. We spent the beginning of the hunt hitting older and more hard hit sites that yielded 3 or 4 flat buttons for me (including a nice early 1-piece navy button...SCORE!!!) But that was only the beginning. We changed up the pace a bit and began to walk a new piece of property that adjoins an older one that provided a plethora of memories and relics over the years. A short while later I began to spot some signs of early inhabitant. This particular property was the site of plantations, encampments and other human activity from the 1600's through the civil war. First just a piece of pottery/china popped out with a button or two and an occasional large brass nail. At the time I thought nothing of the nails, but knew I was most likely at a home site or work-site. This was a nice little ridge between two small streams and seemed perfect for activity. Then the iron picked up and along with it the good targets, including...nails. In total, I dug over 20 of those big nails and my father dug quite a few as well. Man they sounded GOOD each and every time!

Buttons were fairly consistent, though no good ones popped up. In total I dug about 30 buttons during the short hunt with most ranging from the 1700s to early 1800s. My first really good find was a rev war to early 1800s era bayonet scabbard tip. Just across the creek we had found a rev war camp 15 years earlier and this along with the Brown Bess escutcheon plate probably came from that occupation period.

My best overall find had to be the solid silver buckle with very cool hallmarks. This thing sounded like a silver coin and was quite deep...once i saw a glimpse of silver in the dirt, I was almost certain I would be holding a 1 or 2 reale. Actually, I am happy to have this one as I've found my share of colonial silver coins while a find like this is less common.

I also recovered plenty of lead and pewter, from lead shot (some still unclipped from the molding process along with rat tail spoon dishes and stems). I found a neat little brass tinkler and a piece of silver one (thought it was a coin as well). To round things out is a nice large padlock! My father did well too with buttons, an 1819 Large Cent, small trade weight with London and Queen Anne markings, brass padlock and yes...brass nails.

You could say we nailed this site! HA HA

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 303
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    588 KB · Views: 283
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    763.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    368 KB · Views: 290
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    429.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    570.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    408.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 263
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    490.4 KB · Views: 226
Upvote 41

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice collection of colonial finds. Those buttons have that familiar patina that I frequently dig from the sandy soil around coastal NC. Really like the silver shoe buckle and decorative musket piece. I'll be down all week and hope to get out to do some digging if the weather cooperates. If you are still in town and want to do some digging send me a PM.

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite a pile for a 4 hour hunt Dan. And in addition to your usual huge button haul you picked up some other nice keepers, especially that silver knee buckle. I don't know a whole lot about British silver hallmarks (assuming it was made in England), but it appears the date letter "U" represents 1792/93 from what I saw online. And I can't quite make out that first mark. Isn't that supposed to be the city mark? And obviously the lion indicates .925 sterling. Regardless of all that, I'm really impressed with that find as we never seem to find those up our way. Good luck when you get back out to the site.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one hell of a good hunt. You certainly weren't bored.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice haul, got to love those Colonial folks to leaving all for us.

Looks more like they left it for YOU more often than not - You really hunt some very cool, and very OLD spots. Well done with the new tricks . . . !

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite a pile for a 4 hour hunt Dan. And in addition to your usual huge button haul you picked up some other nice keepers, especially that silver knee buckle. I don't know a whole lot about British silver hallmarks (assuming it was made in England), but it appears the date letter "U" represents 1792/93 from what I saw online. And I can't quite make out that first mark. Isn't that supposed to be the city mark? And obviously the lion indicates .925 sterling. Regardless of all that, I'm really impressed with that find as we never seem to find those up our way. Good luck when you get back out to the site.

Yea man, still need to get you down here. As you can see from the pic I sent you, it certainly is not comprised of the open fields and rolling woodlands we have back in ole Virginia.

See ya soon and remember 3-1 is a pivotal moment... Could become 3-2 or 4-1 in an instant. He he

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats quite a haul! know you will be excited to go back to that site.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,, you and dad had a great outing. I know you know there is more in there. I'm thinking of forming a metal detecting cheer leader squad. We come fully equipped with detectors and will assist in the search, in between chants. Just let me know so I can pencil you into my schedule. lol

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE :thumbsup: I gave up on detecting here in Colorado, because we don't have a deep history such as the eastern states do. All I ever found was cans, nails and scrap iron mostly. Once though in the early 80's I located a can dump under a sand wash at a small mining camp and it had a dozen or so unbroken 19th century bottles in the pile of cans, but I was looking for the bank location as the whole town burned to the ground as history says and I was hoping to find melted rolls of silver coins, so the bottles seemed like a appointment and I gave them all to an old lady who loved old bottles. If I was finding the stuff your getting then maybe that metal detecting would sound fun?. I do find some cool old relics in the antique shops, flea markets and thrift store though from time to time, but those I have to pay for.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing like a silver knee buckle. Lion hallmark means it's English. Great find. Silver ones don't come up very often.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that buckle is a beauty! You figure out the year it was made yet?

Trying to differentiate the different types of "U" is rough, but could be 1755 or 1795, 1835 based on a quick glance online.

Let us know if you can pinpoint it!
Looks like London 1795 to me.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Sweet finds Dan. The buckle is fantastic!

Don

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
The silver buckle is s killer find Dan, much ore rare than Spanish silver. Sounds like a great time with your dad, hopefully we can connect for a hunt this spring. Good luck with the new year.
Ev

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul Dan. I really like the old padlock as well. I found a matching one and was told it was from the late 1700s.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NEEET NAILS AND ALL .... IS THE LOCK ROUND OR MICKEY MOUSE EARS OR HEART SHAPED ??????

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE :thumbsup: I gave up on detecting here in Colorado, because we don't have a deep history such as the eastern states do. All I ever found was cans, nails and scrap iron mostly. Once though in the early 80's I located a can dump under a sand wash at a small mining camp and it had a dozen or so unbroken 19th century bottles in the pile of cans, but I was looking for the bank location as the whole town burned to the ground as history says and I was hoping to find melted rolls of silver coins, so the bottles seemed like a appointment and I gave them all to an old lady who loved old bottles. If I was finding the stuff your getting then maybe that metal detecting would sound fun?. I do find some cool old relics in the antique shops, flea markets and thrift store though from time to time, but those I have to pay for.

I know the feeling...but it is all out there and each telling different stories. I know some folks who do well out your way looking for indian war camps...i'd love to hunt one or two of them.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds as usual Dan.Sweet button and buckle.love thows early buttons

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done once again, Dan. That has to be even more rewarding to spend the time with your Dad. Any place you can find that many buttons is well worth another looks there has to be a few early coins awaiting your discovery. Hope you can get back there soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions