I nailed it!!!!!!!!!!! Colonial dig with colonial silver!!!!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(disclaimer...the stool that everyone likes is doing well, I am simply out of town he he he)

While visiting my family where I grew up (NC) my dad and I were able to get out to some old stomping grounds to hunt for a half day. We spent time wandering through a thicket of coastal NC yucca, mosquitoes, briers, and pine forests as we revisited and explored coastal NC water front property.

I do always enjoy getting back to some of our old sites to see what new tricks can produce. We spent the beginning of the hunt hitting older and more hard hit sites that yielded 3 or 4 flat buttons for me (including a nice early 1-piece navy button...SCORE!!!) But that was only the beginning. We changed up the pace a bit and began to walk a new piece of property that adjoins an older one that provided a plethora of memories and relics over the years. A short while later I began to spot some signs of early inhabitant. This particular property was the site of plantations, encampments and other human activity from the 1600's through the civil war. First just a piece of pottery/china popped out with a button or two and an occasional large brass nail. At the time I thought nothing of the nails, but knew I was most likely at a home site or work-site. This was a nice little ridge between two small streams and seemed perfect for activity. Then the iron picked up and along with it the good targets, including...nails. In total, I dug over 20 of those big nails and my father dug quite a few as well. Man they sounded GOOD each and every time!

Buttons were fairly consistent, though no good ones popped up. In total I dug about 30 buttons during the short hunt with most ranging from the 1700s to early 1800s. My first really good find was a rev war to early 1800s era bayonet scabbard tip. Just across the creek we had found a rev war camp 15 years earlier and this along with the Brown Bess escutcheon plate probably came from that occupation period.

My best overall find had to be the solid silver buckle with very cool hallmarks. This thing sounded like a silver coin and was quite deep...once i saw a glimpse of silver in the dirt, I was almost certain I would be holding a 1 or 2 reale. Actually, I am happy to have this one as I've found my share of colonial silver coins while a find like this is less common.

I also recovered plenty of lead and pewter, from lead shot (some still unclipped from the molding process along with rat tail spoon dishes and stems). I found a neat little brass tinkler and a piece of silver one (thought it was a coin as well). To round things out is a nice large padlock! My father did well too with buttons, an 1819 Large Cent, small trade weight with London and Queen Anne markings, brass padlock and yes...brass nails.

You could say we nailed this site! HA HA

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 303
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    588 KB · Views: 283
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    763.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    368 KB · Views: 290
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    408.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    570.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    429.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 263
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    490.4 KB · Views: 226
Upvote 41

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lot of colonial goodies.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
It's amazing the amount of buttons you dig...I love that silver knee buckle. I would love to dig a silver one..Congrats

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer hunt Dan :thumbsup: I freaken love that silver buckle. It's a knee buckle right? Awesome group of brass nails and a handful of buttons is always a success.

Brad

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dan. I found a pc of lead shop that has not been clipped today. Didn't no what it was. Thanks for the education.

HH, Relic Nut

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice haul, got to love those Colonial folks to leaving all for us.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan, that site and those finds have me drooling! That's a beautiful silver buckle and relics. Amazing;)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed the silver buckle way better than coin. (IMO)

The copper nails usually mean ship building activity. You did mention near coast.

Target rich I'd say that's a lot of buttons.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt! Liking the silver buckle and the escutcheon. Have you had a chance to figure out the makers hallmarks on the silver yet?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
that buckle is a beauty! You figure out the year it was made yet?

Trying to differentiate the different types of "U" is rough, but could be 1755 or 1795, 1835 based on a quick glance online.

Let us know if you can pinpoint it!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's quite the haul of goodies! Congrats!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing the amount of buttons you dig...I love that silver knee buckle. I would love to dig a silver one..Congrats

Thanks man...I typically spend time locating undug or lightly dug expansive colonial sites which combined will typically prove lucrative for colonial items.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that buckle is a beauty! You figure out the year it was made yet?

Trying to differentiate the different types of "U" is rough, but could be 1755 or 1795, 1835 based on a quick glance online.

Let us know if you can pinpoint it!

Thanks, I will let you know when I find out, but it should be more of the 1700's variety.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed the silver buckle way better than coin. (IMO)

The copper nails usually mean ship building activity. You did mention near coast.

Target rich I'd say that's a lot of buttons.

Rick, I agree. I have never found so many at one site when it was not at a wharf or shipyard. These are much smaller than the ones that I have dug at other sites though typically dedicated to ship work. I believe this to be a carpenter work site.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet pile of finds there Dan!
I just love to see those target rich sites give up that variety!
Congrats on those great finds

Thanks man...the sad part is that I only am here for a few days so likely I won't get back to it before then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread