I need a rescue here! The Eagles have landed!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one bald eagle has taken us residence, at least temporarily in a few big trees in the woods at my house. I go to the store for a bit the other day and come home and a big mature bald eagle is in my driveway! I assume he was wanting to make "friends" with the chickens. So Thursday I hear it squallering very loudly! The UPS man was delivering something and he really didn't like it!

Yesterday I went outside, and got squallered at! I guess its his home now.

Perhaps he wanted to invite them to dinner. We are now "polluted" with the beautiful beasts. 2 miles from here they found some lunch. There were 7 eagles in the field at one time, four matures and three babies! Check it out!

eagle on dinner.jpg eagles babies.jpg

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I think it would be very, very unwise to get in an argument with one. They are HUGE. When I got home the three hens I have almost fell on their little knees and gave thanks I rescued them! They were never in any danger. They live in Fort Chicken Knox.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like he's having a venison breakfast ??

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Pic's!:hello2:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tastes just like chicken! Nature is rough! There were five sprightly does in my lawn last night. Two were born here this spring, there was a third, triplets, but it got killed by a car in September. I have a previous post showing the three of them playing in the lawn as babies. Last night they just looked at me and the car and decided I could stay here.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nothing like venison and biscuits. :laughing9: nice pic Smokie.

Koalajones

Nov 10, 2019
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Radio shack detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i love watching baldy's enjoying a buffet, i have watched them drag a deer carcass across the ice they are amazing creatures

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep your cats inside safe !!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I think it would be very, very unwise to get in an argument with one. They are HUGE. When I got home the three hens I have almost fell on their little knees and gave thanks I rescued them! They were never in any danger. They live in Fort Chicken Knox.
Potato chips!!!! Best repellent ever! Eat the chips, then cut the bag into inch & a half strips. Tape the strips to pieces of PVC pipe like tassels and stick them in the ground around your coop. They don't like the reflections and stay away. Also works on woodpeckers. I've successfully deterred a (protected) wood pecker from cutting grooves in my trees and I guess you'd call it trained him to hang out elsewhere. I like it because it doesn't hurt anybody & according to game & fish it doesn't fall under harassing. If all else fails, it's an excuse to eat more chips!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eagles are welcome. The chickens can get some therapy. They will probably be around all winter.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there goes the neighborhood. The eagle has been next to my house at the woods edge 5 days now. I saw him or her again today. I think it's looking for a spot to nest! That would be SWEET!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Potato chips!!!! Best repellent ever! Eat the chips, then cut the bag into inch & a half strips. Tape the strips to pieces of PVC pipe like tassels and stick them in the ground around your coop. They don't like the reflections and stay away. Also works on woodpeckers. I've successfully deterred a (protected) wood pecker from cutting grooves in my trees and I guess you'd call it trained him to hang out elsewhere. I like it because it doesn't hurt anybody & according to game & fish it doesn't fall under harassing. If all else fails, it's an excuse to eat more chips!!

Good idea with the chip bags. There is a commercial product that is reflective on both sides of the 1.5" or so strips called "irritape" that non-chip eaters can buy too. I tried some on commercial fishing gear in an attempt to repel cormorants. Sadly it didn't work. The cormorants swam inside the fyke nets, ate the fish, then drowned, a real lose-lose situation.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there goes the neighborhood. The eagle has been next to my house at the woods edge 5 days now. I saw him or her again today. I think it's looking for a spot to nest! That would be SWEET!

They prefer the tallest tree around for nesting - or those at the edge of cliffs - as we have seen when fossil hunting, that are easier for such a large bird to alight and take off.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea with the chip bags. There is a commercial product that is reflective on both sides of the 1.5" or so strips called "irritape" that non-chip eaters can buy too. I tried some on commercial fishing gear in an attempt to repel cormorants. Sadly it didn't work. The cormorants swam inside the fyke nets, ate the fish, then drowned, a real lose-lose situation.
Cormorants? The most effective thing with them is Alka Seltzer. Split an anchove or grunion, tuck a piece of Alka Seltzer in it and chuck it to them. For some reason they can't burp so their gullet explodes. California has a fit if they catch you. I see it as a win win. No more cormorant, and the sharks get a free meal. One of my buddies was quite adept at turning seagulls inside out. He'd cast some anchove out, and just let the gull run with it until he couldn't keep all the line in the air. Close the bail and yank as hard as he could. Funny seeing the gull do an abrupt 180 and unload his innards. You can chuck pieces of anchove in the air until you get a cloud of gulls over you. then chuck a piece of Alka Seltzer.

To those of you who haven't dealt with comorants or the gulls leaving 2 or 3 inches of hard as rock poop on your boat, or getting a staph infection on your knuckles from scraping the poop. This might sound cruel. Naw it's just frustration.......... :laughing7:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liked the pictures Smokey! Magnificent birds, them Baldys! Got a few around where I live, but not in my driveway! Thanks.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still see them quite often. I now have two hens. Scrambles the Wonder Chicken died in June. I move the two remaining birds into a slightly smaller house on the deck, and put a huge dog pen rubber liner under it to keep the deck from turning to icky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread