I need information on this nail!

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an older friend who wanted me to find information on this nail he found years ago in the Chesapeake Bay. Him and a friend raised part of a sunken ship from the floor of the bay years ago. The boards still had some coloring (he told me they were red, green, and blue) and were fastened with these square, gold-colored nails. He has, in his possession, the ship's bell, some boards, nails, and some artifacts but is unwilling to show anyone in case they might be of value. He has contacted museums who have told him that what he has could be of serious value. and The rest of the boat is still in the bay. He wasn't able to get the rest of the pieces of the ship because he thinks the whole ship is wrecked there and because the state of Maryland said he isn't allowed to raise anymore of the ship. The rest of the nails are identical to this one but some of them are in better condition. The heads of some of the nails show a crescent moon and a star side by side struck into the head of the nail by what I'm guessing was one of the final blows to fasten the ship boards together. One of my friend's contacts who I'm told is knowledgeable on this kind of subject mentioned the possibility of this ship being related to the Lafitte brothers. I did some research and found that they were more known for their presence in the Gulf of Mexico so I don't know how likely it is that one of their ships would end up on the east coast but he was told that it is certainly possible. If anyone has any information, I am acting as his researcher on this so you can contact me on here or my phone number (757-784-4873). Thanks in advance. IMG_20160313_193618[1].jpg IMG_20160313_193559[1].jpg IMG_20160313_193632[1].jpg IMG_20160313_193638[1].jpg IMG_20160313_193656[1].jpg

Upvote 1

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does your friend have a salvage license? Although this is interesting it would seem that the state of Maryland or the museums contacted would have a historical interest and a possible identification on them. Welcome to the party

OP
OP
M
Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He does not have a salvage license. What I was told is that the state of Maryland was very strict in saying that he was not to go back to the site and that is ALL they would say. He recovered as much as he could before contacting the state and is now having me research what it is he has. One of the museums he went to was small and said to him that what he had was too valuable to be held at their museum and referred him to a larger museum. That larger museum told him that they would be in contact with him for appraisal because they were highly interested but he never heard from them again and refused to talk with him afterwards (which him and I found odd).

OP
OP
M
Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. He was told by a few people that what he has is valuable and possibly even historically significant and it is definitely odd that nobody wants anything to do with the findings. Thus the reason I was asked to do research on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread