I need pin pointer advice

bradsguns

Jul 5, 2007
Shell Knob, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero
Garrett propointer...good solid, water resistant unit with decent depth. A good size to carry & comfortable to use.
The Detectorprobe pistol probe is also a good unit..very deep..BUT, its on the large size, not waterproof, not as comfortable in my opinion and a little more expensive.
Check the classifieds here...someone had a handful of new ones for $100...not sure if he had any left. Otherwise they normally run a little over 100.

Brad

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of these "elitist" replys remind me of the clowns with the 500 watt C.B. radios. They would brag about how much they cost, aand how they could bully anyone off the air, and you just knew their family was scrimping for food scraps. Beware the man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it.

bradsguns

Jul 5, 2007
Shell Knob, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero
[/quote]

Well I appreciate the advice even though that wasnt what i was asking? :-\.....Thanks Brad i was really considering the garrett.
[/quote]

Im happy with the garrett...you need to get in the vicinity of your treasure, but its a good solid unit which saves from waving handfuls of dirt in front of your coil. You get a good 1" to 1 1/2"on most coins...and several inches on a soda can LOL.

Brad

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob; my first post /reply didn't go through for some reason. I have an extra Automax V-4 that came with some stuff. I am going to be passing through RR around mid-day on June 1st. Meet me @ the donut shop and I'll give it to you. I only used it once just to make sure it worked. They arn't the top of the heap, but work pretty well. My son lives in Waco and will be going back to Afganstan (trip # 4) on the 6th. I'll be comming back North around mid morning on the 4th. Kenley

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get any depth out of the Harbor Freight pinpointer on coin sized targets. Quarters are okay but pennies and dimes its worthless.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would die without my Garrett pinpointer. It is awesome and when I don't have it, it takes twice as long to find anything. I went through 2 Harbor Freight pinpointers and they didn't last very long. Garrett's is tough as nails. Good luck!

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Garrett Pro pointer also. Very dependable.
Doc

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Rob-n-Texas: I have two pinpointers. One is The Harbor Freight unit which was dirt cheap! Mine works great. It only picks up at about 1", but that is what I want in a pinpointer. I suggest you check out the battery and it's connections and save your self a LOT of money. Even if it is bad, through it out and buy another. They are dirt cheep and mind always works. ::: I forgot to mention, because of my hearing, I can't hear the buzzer in this pinpointer so I added a bright blue LED just forward of the red on button. It gets my attention! If you want to add one to yours, just connect it to the buzzer leads. The long lead of the LED+ goes to the red wire on the buzzer, the shorter lead- goes to the black wire on the buzzer. It goes on when the buzzer sounds. Another tip on the LED, the flat spot on the LED plastic housing is next to the Negative lead.

OP
OP
R

Rob-n-Texas

Jan 3, 2009
Round Rock TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Frankn said:
Rob-n-Texas: I have two pinpointers. One is The Harbor Freight unit which was dirt cheap! Mine works great. It only picks up at about 1", but that is what I want in a pinpointer. I suggest you check out the battery and it's connections and save your self a LOT of money. Even if it is bad, through it out and buy another. They are dirt cheep and mind always works.

I've checked it out...I always have to adjust the sensativity. And sometimes it wont let me, it just keeps beeping. I may keep it for a quick backup. I had another one that lasted 3 months until one day it quit altogether. The Garret is on my short list ;D

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frankn said:
Rob-n-Texas: I have two pinpointers. One is The Harbor Freight unit which was dirt cheap! Mine works great. It only picks up at about 1", but that is what I want in a pinpointer. I suggest you check out the battery and it's connections and save your self a LOT of money. Even if it is bad, through it out and buy another. They are dirt cheep and mind always works.

I too have a Harbor Freight pinpointer and mine works great. I have had mine for about a year now and the only thing I had to do was replace the battery. If this one ever goes out I will order another one even if I get the Sunray I am wanting to get. I may order two in case I am hunting with friends and they don't have a pinpointer.

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the Garrett Pro Pinpointer for my Birthday in January. Have been using it since. Wow is all I can say, I have the Automax from Kellyco. This thing is in a whole other ballpark. The GPP has cut my recovery time down to a fraction of what it used to be, and also allows for a smaller dig. I love this thing. I use it with my Ace 250. Good combo.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Rob-n-Texas: If you set the sensitivy to high, it will keep beeping. when this happens just turn the sensitivy slowly down till it stops beeping. at this point it is set to it's highest sensitivy. There is a comparison air test in the electronic posts. The Garrett picks up a dime at the same distance as the HF! and the Garrett cost $110 more!! The HF already has a spotlight that shines on the target and if you like to mod things you can add a bright blue LED that lights when it beeps. Mount the LED where you can see it during operation. Then connect the long+ lead of the LED to the red wire on the beeper. Hook the short lead - to the black wire of the beeper. the LED will light when the beeper sounds. If you want to run silent in the parks, disconnect the beeper and use the LED only. Get two units and wire one each way. they cost under $20 each so you are still way ahead cost wise.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the HF and a new Automax V4. The HF matches up easily to the V4. Inline probes work better, but the ones I've had actually worked TOO well (MXT and Sovereign).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
kenley said:
Some of these "elitist" replys remind me of the clowns with the 500 watt C.B. radios. They would brag about how much they cost, aand how they could bully anyone off the air, and you just knew their family was scrimping for food scraps. Beware the man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it.
Ya he is right about the elitist they get there high dollar detector and think they are better than others. And some just hate Garrett for some reason........................ But i would have to say the Pro Pointer...

Attachments

• Once_Now_Tshirt.jpg
    Once_Now_Tshirt.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 653
  • Once_Now_Tshirt.jpg
    Once_Now_Tshirt.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 649

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread