I need pin pointer advice

Rob-n-Texas

Jan 3, 2009
Round Rock TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Upvote 0
Just read about a probe in an older mag.
Vibra-Probe 560
Communicates with vibration
Pinpoints at tip only
Indicates distance to target
Works in black sand& salt water
Waterprool & submersible
No adjestment required
Solid construction
Pulse induction technology
14" long-straight design
List price: $119.95

Here's an update:This model is no longer available. The new model is 580
It cost $149.95 It has added features like waterproof to 100', auto turn on and turn off. O.K. all you Elitest this is the best thing going all hands down!!

Sounds better than big "G"

www.treasureproducts.com for info.

just clownin

kenley said:
Some of these "elitist" replys remind me of the clowns with the 500 watt C.B. radios.

in service we used to clown around the norfolk va area on the weekends....now i do feel like a clown....export radios, dave made pill boxes (linears), 2 alt setups in our trucks, warm ups, pre-amps, delta mics, ground lines running into the chesapeak bay...hahhhahahhah....back in the day....Crazy, Chicken Man, Salty Sam the 3 legged man, The Hangin Judge, ....what a crew.... 10kw Dave Made, 2kw warmup with dump caps, 500 watt polimar preamp....Galaxay 88 modd for 100 watt out...and mine was not that big.....i used to know guys who took the seats out of cars just to hold cap boxes...

ProPointer for sure. I wouldn't leave the house without it.
You can also do a little trick with a peice of string and a flat washer to get a little more depth out of it.

I've had three pin-pointers in the last couple of years and I like my Garrett Pro-Pointer the best.
I gave my Bounty Hunter to a kid here on Tnet that was new to the hobby and the probe on my
Harbor Freight broke off. If you want to invest the money in a Garrett I don't think you will be
disappointed. I saved my clad from 2008 and had enough money to buy my Garrett, it's a fun goal.

If you want something economical, Get the Harbor Freight.
If you want the best, click here, www.treasureproducts.com
It makes big G look like a dousing rod!

Garrett Pro Pointer. I read all I could in discussion sites about pin pointers, and the tally of results were overwhelmingly for the Garrett. I just love the gradient feature of this PP. faster it beeps, the closer you are. I went from maybe 2 out of 5 holes dug coming up dry/empty, to no dry empty holes. best money I've spent in a long time.

I'm not even reading all your responses for I'm sure 95% suggested Garrett ProPointer. It is Da-Bomb! Won't leave home without it. In fact, I wish I had a spare cuz it'll KILL me to have to wait :icon_thumleft: for another! Got it, Get it!

Rob-n-Texas said:
Frankn said:
Rob-n-Texas: I have two pinpointers. One is The Harbor Freight unit which was dirt cheap! Mine works great. It only picks up at about 1", but that is what I want in a pinpointer. I suggest you check out the battery and it's connections and save your self a LOT of money. Even if it is bad, through it out and buy another. They are dirt cheep and mind always works.

I've checked it out...I always have to adjust the sensativity. And sometimes it wont let me, it just keeps beeping. I may keep it for a quick backup. I had another one that lasted 3 months until one day it quit altogether. The Garret is on my short list ;D

I ran into this problem the other day with my Cen-tech and could not adjust the sensitivity enough to get it to stop. When I stood up it stopped. Turned out the area (freshwater beach) had an underlay of heavy black sand which the detector was picking up. It has it's limitations but then so do some of the other handheld pointers but it sure is priced right.

baylorhall said:
I would die without my Garrett pinpointer. It is awesome and when I don't have it, it takes twice as long to find anything. I went through 2 Harbor Freight pinpointers and they didn't last very long. Garrett's is tough as nails. Good luck!

I just ordered a Garret! I have bought two H.F centech pinpointers both CRAPED OUT and I take good care of my tools.

obviously I am in the minority here, but I would save up a few extra bucks and look into an inline probe by sun ray. I bought mine from 4-H on here and the thing is AMAZING. I have used the centech and the white's and while they worked, they were just one more thing to carry around/forget, put batteries in or step on. The in line snaps right to the shaft, runs through your machine and can be adjusted right from your machine. It has cut down my dig/recovery time and my finds have been steadily increasing due to more time on my feet rather than digging/searching

I have a Vibra-probe. My brother TimC has a Garrett. I like mine. He swears by the Garrett. Only problem I see with the G is it makes noise! That noise draws kids like dead meat draws flies! TTC

APOLOGY IS ONLY EGOTISM WRONG SIDE OUT.
By: Oliver Wendell Holmes

Once again I'll be the bigger man here. For the sake of forum harmony I've removed all of my posts. For the record, I like the Centech pinpointer for the money. I have one and I occasionally use it. My issue is with people who have never used a product claiming that anyone who buys said product is an idiot. ::)

Over the last 10 years, I've had the vibra pointer, some of KelleyCo's brands, and White's pinpointers with their optional vibe/tone switch. When I bought the Garrett probe, I was impressed and enjoy it the most.

Although it seems to use a lot more 9v batteries, it can detect much deeper and even before you start digging, it will pinpoint where the object is when it's 1-1/2" below the ground or more. Much deeper than any of the others. So, it's a good trade-off.

Most of the deaths of my other pinpointers are directly related to the On/Off switch. I'll be watching my Garrett pinpointer to see how it holds out. Oddly, and for your future reference, I bought mine through an Ebay listing. When I received it, it was from a Garrett dealer in California that sent a new digging tool and a new pocket apron and some tips booklets.... Having recieved those, and the good operation of the pinpointer, I'm happy.

I have a Automax V4. The thing works alright cheap made and easy broke. The worst part is this thing is like having a walking cane to carry around :laughing7: I am saving up for a Garrett ProPointer. :thumbsup:
HH.Miner

billjustbill said:
When I bought the Garrett probe, I was impressed and enjoy it the most.

Although it seems to use a lot more 9v batteries, it can detect much deeper and even before you start digging, it will pinpoint where the object is when it's 1-1/2" below the ground or more. Much deeper than any of the others. So, it's a good trade-off.

Most of the deaths of my other pinpointers are directly related to the On/Off switch.

:thumbsup:
EXACTLY my sentiments too. You can often pinpoint the coin before you dig.
I cover the on/off switch with black electrical tape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back