i need some info on a whites 5500d, black box

PAPPYGOL

May 15, 2008
niles ohio
Detector(s) used
grand master hunter cx2 ,,. , fisher 1235x 1236x2, 2 coin computers, garrett freedom 3.

Attachments

• 100_1003.JPG
    100_1003.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,110
hey, for your information,, kando, aka. mr. (know it all). i did get a manual from him. he sent me a pm and sent me the manual. his name is jim sorrell. he is a very nice guy. unlike you, he minds his own business. i suggest you do the same. besides, i highly doubt if your the guy to go-to for info on a whites machine

PAPPYGOL said:
i picked this up awhile back. works great. looks just like the 6000di pro sl. whats the difference?. other than the meter
I don't know if this will help but whites web site has the Manual;s on it for all there detectors from first to last.including the 5500 & 6000 .... i never used either one...... i had the XLT.. MXT & DFX

i have the manual. i also have a 6000di pro sl. other than the screen. its identical. i wonder if its just the screen thats different. the workings look the same too

Does is have manuel ground balance like the 5900 or automatic ground balance like the 6000? Just wondering I've never heard of the 5500 before

I did a quick search on that unit. i couldn't find any reviews on it, it's probably too old.
however you could ask at a local club, maybe they would have somebody that has used that one

I can't remember exactly but I think White came out with that style of machine about 91 or 92. I'm guessing it's a model between the 4900 and 5900.

i believe it has manual and auto ground balance. the controls are as follows. the toggle switch in the handle has push, pull, and auto in the middle. has on the control box, tuner,, volume, mode, with geb/norm, geb /disc, tr/disc, and geb/max. also has geb control. also has power., off on/ sat/ batt. check. also a full range disc. knob, i believe it was made in 1992. this is the first one i have ever seen. all the others are blue, with the big box and not the sl model. does sl mean, s rod mounted. light weight????

It sounds like it is a manuel ground balance because it has a knob for geb control. The 6000's have a toggle switch for the automatic ground balance on the box. The SAT is self adjusting threshold. Which is something like automatic ground balance but if the ground is bad you still have to reset it. I have a Blue Gray and have always just used GEB norm on that and the other machines I've had. I just never like the SAT, though I know other guys who would use only that. i never knew what the heck the SL stood for.

i always thought sl was. s rod mounted. and l for light weight. ?????? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

It could be. I never even thought about it. All I cared was that the machine worked :laughing7: I had a several of the blue box machines too. I had a 15 inch head for my 5000D series 2 that thing would work you to death. They were so off balance. I bet I wouldn't last an hour with that thing now.

boy, thats the truth, the older i get, the heavier they get. i sold my master hunter7, i sold all my older whites that took the 14 AA batteries.. i kept my 1265x. a 1235x. master hunter cx. a couple classics i use for water, all pretty light, now just for fun i bought an old compass relic magnum7. 12AA batteries in it. it looks brand new, still in the original box. but it doesnt work. probably be awhile before it wears me out

the new coinmaster looks like its worth a try :dontknow:

Yep I can understand that. I had a 440 fisher with a 12 inch head that was a horse too. I still have most my old machine but don't use them. I still use my Blue Gray and I also have a Tesoro Cibola. I've had that Blue Gray so long that most of the time I can tell if a signal is good or not even if the machine says it's junk and in some places can hear stuff deeper than the guys using the MXT's and DFX's. I don't know anything about the new coinmaster but they are supposed to be good. One thing I can say for a Whites is they are tough. I have put mine through heck and all of them have held up.

the new coinmaster is an entry level machine. like the ace 250. but a little less cash. im sure its a good machine. time will tell. ill wait awhile and snag a used one for cheap. i dont like buying a new model . i always wait until i see what the reveiws are, then maybe get a used one, im cheap :notworthy:

I agree with you about about buying a new model. I have an onpion on that but will keep it to myself as I know it will probably upset a few people.

uh-huh. buy it just because its new. i guess from what ive read the new v3 spectra is on the down slide already. lots of used ones for sale all over. myself, i wouldnt spend over a grand on a metal detector. even if i had the money. i would rather buy 10 or 12 used ones. then you never get bored :laughing7:

From what I understand, it is basically the same. The SL designation was for when they introduced new "slim line" machines. The "i" in the 6000Di is for identification (that's why the meter is different). If you compared the 2 machines side by side, you would see the difference in the height of the box.

Then again, after looking at pics, maybe the black boxes were all the same (look like it to me), maybe they added the SL designation later? I had seen a post a while back about it and that was part of the reply.

slim line. yep. i think thats it gib. the box is the same size as the 6000 di pro sl. but the meter just has depth, battery and how strong the signal is

Hi Pappy,

What you have is an older 5000D series 3 detector inside a newer balanced SL housing, The series 3 kHz is different than the newer SL models so if you were to use a coil from an SL series it will throw off the discrimination.

I had one a while back, What I did was replace the 5000d series 3 circuit board with an 6000/D series 3 board giving it target ID. Plus, Both the 5000D series 3 and 6000/D series 3 controls are in the same area making the change a breeze.

Fun machine, Ended up giving mine away to a local newbie.

Take care, Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 12a.JPG
    12a.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,456
  • 12aa.JPG
    12aa.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,005

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back