I need tips on how to find an old Cemetary that I semi-located on an old map!

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
I just found an old map on the net with a cemetary marked on my familys farm! Here is some info that me and my dad can remember hearing over the years... Any help, speculation, or tips on finding this site would be apriciated. Oh and I don't plan on digging or taking anything from any gravesite as I hope no one would. Just would like to preserve some history of the family farms.

I heard a story of a neighbor thinking there were indian mounds somewhere close to that area. I have found some signs of an indian camp very near there. It is marked on the highest bluff along this good sized creek for several miles. I know that indians would bury on high bluffs over looking creeks or rivers.

Also I know there was a road a long long time ago right past where that cemetary is marked.... I can see a section of the ditches from the old road which is overgrown in timber, remnants of a stone bridge or abuttment, and some limestone pieces where part of the road would have ran, some pieces are up to about 6 inches and I think like in the movies, brought to the road and busted up on site with hammers.

And there was a man hung in a tree somewhere close to the mark on the map, but exact location isnt quite known. The old road is known by the hung mans last name. It was said an old man (now passed away) knew where the tree the guy was hung in was at, and even could see where the rope had grown into the tree. still searching for the date on the hanging, but posibly 150 yrs ago. So finding rope marks or a tree still standing would be slim. The hung man was not buried there, his body was dumped in a ditch about 10 miles away then later buried in that towns cemetary. He was hung for murdering a family and dumping the bodies in the creek right at where he was hung. Time frame for settling the area is around 1830-70s, but the white people had been through the area before then.

Obviously ill look for tombstones, but ive been through that area alot and definatly would have noticed standing ones. Maybe a metal probe to help find any if there under ground and debris. There are not many rocks in the area so maybe even a pile of rocks would have been used to mark a grave. Sunken spots or raised from a burial? Even pieces of wood from crosses perhaps?

I did now find this article about the murder and lynching. Warning it is kinda graphic in describing the murders.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/topic/historical/1879_jefferson/jefferson_49.htm

It does seem to say he was buried there. But with no "shroud", which i assume is just a cover for the body? And not meaning a tombstone. The date of this was 1860.

But I do remember reading in a book that Kepharts body was dumped in town then buried there in the cemetary. Guess Ill have to go look for his grave in town. Which I may be able to find list of names/locations at the courthouse? I doubt they would mark his grave well would they? No One would have paid for a tombstone i dont think?

Wow been looking up info and typing this post for a couple hours! Sounds like a fun hunt I have ahead of me! Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Likely Guy

Welcome to T'Net 'all_atv'!

Interesting story. The graves should be sunken, not raised and there will be no sign of headboards. Unfortunately, I think that the best time to look would have been before the leaves came out. Now, you may not find the cemetery until after the leaves have died. Don't know your particular terrain though. Open grassland is harder (unless you are willing to mow it).

Graves lie, typically, in an east/west orientation.

And the "I don't plan on digging or taking anything from any gravesite as I hope no one would. Just would like to preserve some history of the family farms." I like that part! :icon_thumright:

K

Kentucky Kache

If your map is large, you can probably identify some landmarks on it. Then its just a matter of orientation and line of direction to the spot you want.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Great Post ! Nice to know the settlers of Iowa settled heinous
crimes in a just fashion. Today the ACLU . . . well, you know.

lastleg

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked Google Earth to see if it has a clear view of your area? Microsoft's Live View sat views are clearer and has "Bird's Eye" views, too. If you can find a useable sat view of your area, those graves and the old road bed should show up pretty well.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum. ;D

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Here's an idea

Go to maptech.com

Click on land software on the right

Go to the top and click on online maps

Click on Mapserver

Type in a key location/church/school/town, etc that you have on your old map. Type in state

Click on the location that comes up - you may have to look at a couple of locations

Then try to match that new topo you just pulled up with the old map you have.

The cursor turns into a cross hair. Find the location on the new map that corresponds to the location on the old map. Put the crosshairs over that location. If you look on the lower left it will give you the latitude and longitude coordinates of the place you're looking for. Write these down.

Borrow/buy a GPS unit. Key the coordinates in and follow the pointer. Should take you pretty close.

Good luck!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Have you checked Google Earth to see if it has a clear view of your area? Microsoft's Live View sat views are clearer and has "Bird's Eye" views, too. If you can find a useable sat view of your area, those graves and the old road bed should show up pretty well.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum. ;D
Night also try NASAs World Wind. Different types of sat photos. Might be able to see something not decernable in the regular sat photos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread