agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt sell your silver yet. Save it up till you actually have enough to make a big difference in your bank roll. I would suggest if you live in a neighborhood to mow a bunch of lawns to increase your bank roll. Selling your stuff is ok but if your parents have a problem with it and you keep bugging then they could stop the whole CRH thing for you. Find other ways to increase the bank roll, but in my opinion at your age I would be carefull with craigslist. I have purchased stuff at garage sales and resold them for a good profit at my own garage sale. When at a garage sale you could ask if they have any broken un wanted jewelry that you could buy. Sky is the limit as long as the people who give you permission dont shoot you down. How many lawns could you mow in the time it takes to go threw and wrap two boxes of dimes? How much more profitable would it be at this time? have to weigh it all out and see how cost affective it is. Heck for 30 bucks mowing a lawn you could buy an ounce of junk silver give or take. Sorry for the long post but I guess I am saying what I wish I would have done at your age. five lawns a week could equal five ounces of silver a week. How many put up them numbers? Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I've tried the garage sale stuff and borke even pretty much. I want to sell some error cents I have. I just want $500, to order halves. I finally got the green light on selling the PS3, so hopefully I can list and sell that quickly, but I won't let it go unless I can get a fair price. The PS3 should put me at around $575.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Plus I can just walk in to the bank and be like, "Could have about all the dimes you have?" instead of the bank saying "We have about $500 worth." and then I have to say, "Ok, well I'll take $300 and then come back and swap out for the other $200." I hate having to say that, because then it is a hassle for the banks, and it could get them on my bad side.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
You see...I'm greedy, so I HAVE to get all of them, because you never know when you'll run across a solid roll.

I'm the only CRHer in the area, I'm fine with not getting solid rolls, :P I don't mind 1 per a box. I got a 1/2 solid roll of wheaties once. 27/50 here wheats

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I'm the only CRHer in the area, I'm fine with not getting solid rolls, :P I don't mind 1 per a box. I got a 1/2 solid roll of wheaties once. 27/50 here wheats

There are a few hunters in my area, in fact I ran into one before, but I usually get 1 silver per $150 CWR and about 1 per $200 from brinks. 10-12 wheats per box from brinks and 3-5 wheats per $25 CWR. I guess cent hunting is popular in my area. :dontknow:

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
There is one lady who gets 2 boxes of pennies in my area, but that's literally IT.
no silver hunters, just me :D
Wicka

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save the silver unless you can get top cash to make your bank roll bigger. I have been buying silver i picked up 159 40% for $3 each last week, Will your dad give you a lone if he can hold your silver??? Then you can pay him back and still have your silver!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You see...I'm greedy, so I HAVE to get all of them, because you never know when you'll run across a solid roll.

I will offer this advice as it worked for me when I was young. It is similar to Smitty's advice, but taking it further. You'll have a better chance of scoring that solid roll. I did every odd-job especially for the elderly neighbors in my neighborhood. Weeding flower beds; cleaning gutters; mowing lawns; shoveling snow (I did live up north when I was kid); etc. I always asked that I be paid in coin. It always led to the question of why? Explaining that I search for collectible coins for my collection will endear you to the elders as they remember when they were a kid and searching rolls. Do a good enough job, perhaps the owner hadn't gone to the bank to get your coin, and instead reaches into his honey-pot and pulls out a solid roll to pay for your deeds. Easy money.

At the very least, as the elders approach their end of their living days, they will have to decide how to dispose of their collection. In many cases, their heirs will have no clue as to the value. As a collector, you want your collection to be appreciated. It is ideal if that appreciation comes from family, but as a second recourse, the elder might come to you to buy their collection. It is all about networking.

Others on TNet always advise about building relationships with the tellers so that they save the goodies for yourself, but their are other more reliable sources who have what we want. Take it one step further. Inquire at the local veterans home or senior living home, and find out if they have programs where you can visit and talk with residents. There was a saying when I was younger - "In like Flynn". You'll have so much silver while making a mockery of those that scrounge through hundreds to score a single dime.

Hunters need to hunt. Fishermen need to fish. If the local watering hole is dry and the one side of the mountain is bare of game, then you need to find more fertile hunting/fishing grounds. Go get it and cull that silver.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coppercrazy said:
Plus I can just walk in to the bank and be like, "Could have about all the dimes you have?" instead of the bank saying "We have about $500 worth." and then I have to say, "Ok, well I'll take $300 and then come back and swap out for the other $200." I hate having to say that, because then it is a hassle for the banks, and it could get them on my bad side.

You are a very dedicated person. You are learning very quickly. Just remember that CRH is about more than just banks. Places where thieves spend their money often has more concentrated finds for much less bankroll.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wickaboag said:
There is one lady who gets 2 boxes of pennies in my area, but that's literally IT.
Wicka

I remember those days :(

I did a lot of hunting during that time but it was not my primary hobby. Now you have to be the first one and your timing right!

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wickaboag said:
Wicka

Same with me! I am the only one!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread