Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stay strong Dave... You have a lot of T-net friends who support you and encourage you. My hats off to you buddy... just post now and then with an update whether good or bad. But I think I know because your on a roll and on a mission... just stay the course guy. You are one tough S.O.B. to just QUIT... because you said so. There's no other way guy... Brad

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha Ha, you guys are fast!
Yep, it has been 4 weeks today and I'm still a quitter!
This Saturday will be 1 month.
I'll never forget the day I quit, because it was the same day as my parent's wedding anniversary.
Passed a test this last weekend. I was at a barbeque (with lots of people) and had about 7 beers throughout the day.
A couple of people were smoking and I did not ask for any!
So, that's a big one....drinking at a party. :headbang:
Thanks guys for keeping me accountable!
:occasion14:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, Muddy. Yeah, you'll still want one occasionally; but don't give in! I kinda odd in some ways how old habits seem to never die. About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I left the house to go to the store. Two blocks down the street, at a stop sign, I had to wait for two cars to pass before I could make my right hand turn. Just as I started straightening the wheels from making my turn, I reached up to my shirt pocket for a cig!!! Yes, after almost 14 years. It happens a couple or 3 times a year. I haven't 'craved' one in probably 8 or 9 years; maybe longer. I don't remember the last time I had a craving for one. My daughter and son-in-law both smoke, but it doesn't make me crave one. Since my COPD has got so bad these last 3 or4 years, it just kinda 'stiffles' when I get around a lit cigarette. When I had this bedroom built onto the house, I didn't connect it to the central heat and a/c. I have my own 'system'. I also stay out of the other parts of the house as much as I can; as doctor's orders. Also, one other thing that has an effect on my breathing: freshly mown grass. It's the worst thing I can be around.

Again congrats! And hang in thar!!

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Brad, I don't have a huge report for you so far other than I can notice things taste better and I have a bit more energy and happiness.
I always stayed in shape so I don't notice my breathing being any better but overall my lungs do feel healthier.
Occasionally, there used to be a pinching (sharp) pain in my chest but that's gone and won't return.
I'm back into weight lifting, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. simply because I feel healthier and therefore the motivation is greater.
Hey, I might actually get into jogging one day! :o

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the support everyone! There's some great advice here and that will definitely help.
One of the biggest concerns I have is actually metal detecting.
Yep, that was the activity where I would smoke the most. When things got quiet and I went awhile without a signal, I would light a smoke to "keep me interested" in staying longer.
Or when I found something good, I would light a smoke in "celebration." Or often I would find a goody after lighting a smoke.
I know this is part of the illusion but I think it's wise for me to take a break from detecting for awhile until I reduce the cravings.
I'm going for the pain......no nicotine from the patch, gum, or E-cigs. Want it out of the system completely.
So far, healthy snacks, (like Pat suggested) regular gum, and a little herb in the evening. He he.
I thought I would be finished after having my morning coffee but surprisingly, I wasn't tempted that bad.
I've surrounded myself with smokers as well as those who don't. The smokers actually give me some comfort as I know they're like a safety net.
They're like that pack of unopened Colts my grandfather carried around in his shirt pocket for 20 years after he quit.
I guess the biggest help is my non-smoking girlfriend. I got sick of scrubbing myself over and over again (including brushing my tongue several times) just so I could be with her!
Speaking of which, I've got to go and pick her up from work in a few minutes.
Thanks so much everyone!
It means a lot to me.
:occasion14:

Well, I finally tackled this last big test and made it!
Here's the story......
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/425368-important-day-lots-clad-gold.html
I know I'm going to make it!

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was some hunt: ))
A win win,..congratulations for your tenacity in both areas..TERRIFIC. :))

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That's incredible, Muddy. At that rate, you probably could making MDing your only source of income. Five hours and I'm guessing the total haul will be worth at least several hundred dollars. There aren't a lot of jobs these that pay like this!
(And congratulations of your resistance to the cigarettes!!!)

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today is my 1 month anniversary! :hello2:

I'm going to celebrate by going metal detecting ALL WEEKEND! :headbang:

Happy Hunting to all of you and thank you for your support! :icon_thumright:

Cheers,
Dave.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job Mud.... It was fun (for us) and your a great sport also. Keep us updated buddy.... can't wait to get a 2 month update!!!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good for you, you will live a much happier life now. :)

I have never smoked but I have enhaled more second hand smoke in my first 20 years of life than most smokers do in that same period.
My parents were so hooked that the house was always filled with smoke, even after divorcing when I was Seven my Dad would still keep the place foggy with smoke. :(

I started martial arts when I was 18, almost 19 and the black tar that I started to hack up would make you sick to your stomach.
I suspected that it would happen but I had no idea it was going to be so bad.

Keep it up and remember that story. :)

-Eric-

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread, congrats muddy, I know you can do it.

I need to quit too, smoking 12 to 15 cigars/day. I'm 50, decent health, and I really enjoy smoking.

I know it's not good, and have had many loved ones die from cancer, but none of them were smokers.

It amounts to 8 to 10 dollars/day, and I guess that's what really bugs me. I have quit many times, cold turkey, to prepare for Elk hunts, 6-8 weeks before the hunt, but every time I'm lighting up on the way home.

Don't know why I'm sharing this......I guess I want some encouragement to quit.....but I'm stubborn as a mule......10 bucks/day...that's a new pickup in 10 years..........I think that's my incentive......thanks for listening.

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Share away Gold Maven! I found that the more I shared, (especially the things I used to protect or get defensive about) the more honest I would become towards why I was keeping that habit alive for so many years.
I always remember hearing from others that "when it's your time to quit" or "it's all about timing" that eventually the day would come.
However, as the years went on and a part of me wanted to quit year after year, I was wondering when that time would come. :icon_scratch:
So IMO, the "timing" is a period when a sequence of events, thoughts, or feelings come into play that helps build the motivation to finally take the leap.
In my case...a new non-smoking girlfriend, being short on cash and having to spend it (like a slave) on smokes, picking up an old stop smoking self-help book, Loosing another friend to lung cancer.....
and the fact that every birthday for the last 5 years, I've said I'll quit!
When I wrote out the list at the beginning of this thread, I couldn't believe all the reasons I came up with.
Once that list was made, it overwhelmed the few pitiful reasons why I kept smoking for all those years. I was also tired of breaking promises to myself.
I still can't believe that I quit. I had convinced myself that it would be an impossible task. Each day it gets easier to ignore those cravings.
It's not over for me though. I know that even a year from now I will probably have a craving that seems innocent enough.
This is dangerous because that's when people have said "oh, one smoke won't hurt after all this time" and then BANG....hooked again!
I listen carefully to all of those who have the experience of quitting and starting again and try to learn from their mistakes.
You can do this! :headbang: If I can, then anyone can quit!
Cheers,
Dave.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great thread, congrats muddy, I know you can do it.

I need to quit too, smoking 12 to 15 cigars/day. I'm 50, decent health, and I really enjoy smoking.

I know it's not good, and have had many loved ones die from cancer, but none of them were smokers.

It amounts to 8 to 10 dollars/day, and I guess that's what really bugs me. I have quit many times, cold turkey, to prepare for Elk hunts, 6-8 weeks before the hunt, but every time I'm lighting up on the way home.

Don't know why I'm sharing this......I guess I want some encouragement to quit.....but I'm stubborn as a mule......10 bucks/day...that's a new pickup in 10 years..........I think that's my incentive......thanks for listening.

Mr. GM... You already took a major step with what you just said above. That alone took some courage to lay it out like you did. Let's go and do it buddy. One day at a time... everyday. Maybe sharing this endeavor like Muddy did will give you enough support to go further than you ever have. Go back and read Muddy's 1st post and see what all applies to you. Let's DO IT ... you'll be the second and validate Muddy's thread here even more. Your a great example Muddy... really. Later, Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread